Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, This thread is a combination of 1894 and rimfire. Hope it is okay to put here. Here is my question. I have been wanting a 44mag Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited w/24" barrel. I have located a VERY PRISTINE one. Thing is, I just do not have the $$ to buy it and do not foresee myself having the $$ anytime in the near or distant future. Too many higher priority other bills to be paid. However...I do have a V prefix 39A and 39A Mountie, both is PRISTINE condition. The gentleman has indicated he would take both in exchange of the 44 Mag. Most of the 44mags I have seen like this one are going on GB for $950-$1200 depending on condition. The 39A's average about $575.00 for the 39A and $650.00 for the Mountie.I do not hunt, just range shoot. I do not as of currently re-load ( I should though as I have to feed a 45LC Marlin Cowboy)What would you all do? I appreciate your in-put and honesty. Thank you. :biggrin:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I sell one of the 39's, probably the Mountie, on the theory you can only shoot one 22 LR at a time anyway. Selling one gets you halfway or more to a 44 mag CB Limited, and saving the rest should be a snap. IMHO and YMMV...

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Trade em in if you want the LTD. Start saving for another 39a as it will be 1/2 the money up front to replace it as the LTD is . There is a thing that's pretty cool also, it's called layaway. Lots of my firearms have been bought that way.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. My first rifle I bought for myself at 16 back in 1974 was a 39A Mountie and one of the biggest regrets I have is selling it. They are a better investment than the stock market and much better by far than a savings account. Hang on to them IMO or a stated only sell one at most. Good luck on your endeavor.

Reactions: Remy103 and Owen49

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If they were still making 39s I wouldn't feel too bad about trading one, but they're not. And maybe they never will again. Hold onto those babies at all cost.

Reactions: Remy103

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Noooooooooooo! Runnnnnnn! Don’t do it!!!!!! Just messing with you. Do what you want! I like 39’s, wish I had one just to have one. But I love my 44. Wouldnt trade it for anything. I would give up all my lever’s to keep my 44 and 357. On the other hand, I have regretted selling a lot of guns to buy another one that I thought I wanted more. Hopefully you are more confused now than you were before you read this, that way you can think it through some more. You are welcome!

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I sold a 1980 39A in excellent condition on GB for $600,within a day.Wish I left it as an auction because I woulda got more.A Mountie that is in pristine condition would go for $800 or more.No,I would not trade them.If you do,that guy gets the better deal.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I also would NOT recommend trading both 39 models. Maybe one, but certainly not both.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.