Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking through a gun show yesterday and saw an old 39 sitting at a booth, 1951 vintage, $450.00n on the tag. It had the bullseye drilled out and the hole was filled with putty. The rear sight is not original, does not have the front sight hood. Light rust on barrel and receiver, it has NOT been D&T'd for a scope. We finally got around to talking about money, we started with 200.00 between us and he's come down 100.00.

I'd pay 250.00 and be proud, but 350.00 seems a little steep for the thing.

Please... someone talk me into or out of buying this thing.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
il Padrino said:
No Sale, there are a lot nicer ones out there for that kind of money.
Ditto... unless you are just looking for a project gun, and even then, it's not worth that.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I let my bidding get away with me on a site last week and over paid for 39A with a B pre-fix serial number. Is pretty doggy but have a plan to make me a pistol grip carbine out of it.

AND THEN last night as I was checking out a safe at G.M. and to see if the Henry 22 mag was still there , I found in it's place a 39A with E pre-fix , bluing good plus, wood needs re-finished ,no rust or scratches, and lever is snug as a bug .. wouldn't budge off of $399.99 or even flip for it % off . So I just racked up a few points on my new C.C.

I have paid from $50 for excellent 39M to $525 for TDS Trying to work out a deal for a Century but having hard time getting response from them to seal the deal... shipping just freaks people out it seems..

Pay what ya feel is right for you and don't worry about other guys... Price trend on these little guys seems to be going up every time find another on a site for sale and or someone just wants one worse than other guy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This isn't a mountie, but just the standard 39a, right? I think it'd be high for a Mountie in that condition, but definitely too high for a standard 39a. The putty in the bulleye hole is no big deal, nor is the rear sight (to me at least). I doubt the hole was drilled out. Those bulleyes often just fall out when the wood contracts. But the rust on the barrel is a deal breaker at that price. There are a lot of used pistol gripped 39a's out there. There is no need to jump on one in poor condition at that kind of price. I think you're right on the $250 offer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BUBSDAD said:
I was walking through a gun show yesterday and saw an old 39 sitting at a booth, 1951 vintage, $450.00n on the tag. It had the bullseye drilled out and the hole was filled with putty. The rear sight is not original, does not have the front sight hood. Light rust on barrel and receiver, it has NOT been D&T'd for a scope. We finally got around to talking about money, we started with 200.00 between us and he's come down 100.00.
I'd pay 250.00 and be proud, but 350.00 seems a little steep for the thing.
Please... someone talk me into or out of buying this thing.

BD:

Well, I'm new to Marlin 39's pretty much, but not new to guns in general. I've owned firearms for over 55 years and have been carrying a concealed weapon, legally, for roughly 45..

My recent love has been the Marlin 39 and it seems there are two opinions as to the desirability of the old vs the new rifles.

FOR ME, ( and I would love to find a very nice older 39 at a fair price) I prefer the guns that were drilled and tapped at the factory. I'm old, and the need for a peep sight (such as a Skinner) or scope is always just beyond the horizon.

I don't know what year the factory "drilling and tapping" started, but IF I were looking I would want one that had been drilled and tapped at the factory.

Front sight hoods are available all over the place (Marlin Co/parts division for one), but paying what amounts to pretty much top dollar for a rifle that is 60 years old and MIGHT have been shot a zillion times (so, hows the rifling?) and has rust, even slight, and the wrong rear sight to boot and even the bullseye screwed up just wouldn't appeal to me.

I believe a lot of folks prefer the 39's that are pre-cross block safety, and pre-rebounding hammer, but there are still a lot of 39's out there that are both drilled and tapped, AND have no cross block safety or rebounding hammer.

THAT would be a rifle that would appeal to me as a casual plinker, not a collector.

For comparison I bought my 39A at a local gun show for $400.00 (OTD).. It's of 1996 vintage, and has the cross block safety and rebounding hammer, but it is an absolute tack driver, and a wonderful pleasure plinker.

I recently purchased a 1970 Century Limited (model 39) that does NOT have the "undesirable's", but IS drilled and tapped... It is absolutely "slicker" as to how the action "feels" than the 39A. But, it's no more accurate, and I paid (too much obviously) 50% more for it than I did the like new 39A.

I'm of 1942 "vintage" so I generally like old stuff, but generally the longer a firearm has been manufactured the more it has PROBABLY been used. And just from the description you give of the one you are considering I would say it has not received the best of maintenance over the years..

Could be wrong, but often a rough external can give you a clue as to how the inside has been treated. Not all the time of course, but it's a good rule of thumb when buying something used, be it a truck, or a firearm.

As I said, I'm a "newbie" to the Marlin 39 rifle, but I have quickly gained an appreciation for their qualities..

Hope you find the Marlin 39 you want, but I'd be of the opinion that you haven't found it yet.. ;)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I can get the guy down to 250.00 this will be a project gun to give to my 9yo son in a few years. If I cant get it for $250.00 it will go to the next gun show that the seller attends.

I already have 1981 model 39 that I love and dont need a new one but the only 39's I'm ever seeing are going for 400-450 dollars and I will not pay that.

My current 39 and her Marlin sisters

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
PX said:
BD:

Well, I'm new to Marlin 39's pretty much, but not new to guns in general. I've owned firearms for over 55 years and have been carrying a concealed weapon, legally, for roughly 45..

My recent love has been the Marlin 39 and it seems there are two opinions as to the desirability of the old vs the new rifles.

FOR ME, ( and I would love to find a very nice older 39 at a fair price) I prefer the guns that were drilled and tapped at the factory. I'm old, and the need for a peep sight (such as a Skinner) or scope is always just beyond the horizon.

I don't know what year the factory "drilling and tapping" started, but IF I were looking I would want one that had been drilled and tapped at the factory.

Front sight hoods are available all over the place (Marlin Co/parts division for one), but paying what amounts to pretty much top dollar for a rifle that is 60 years old and MIGHT have been shot a zillion times (so, hows the rifling?) and has rust, even slight, and the wrong rear sight to boot and even the bullseye screwed up just wouldn't appeal to me.

I believe a lot of folks prefer the 39's that are pre-cross block safety, and pre-rebounding hammer, but there are still a lot of 39's out there that are both drilled and tapped, AND have no cross block safety or rebounding hammer.

THAT would be a rifle that would appeal to me as a casual plinker, not a collector.

For comparison I bought my 39A at a local gun show for $400.00 (OTD).. It's of 1996 vintage, and has the cross block safety and rebounding hammer, but it is an absolute tack driver, and a wonderful pleasure plinker.

I recently purchased a 1970 Century Limited (model 39) that does NOT have the "undesirable's", but IS drilled and tapped... It is absolutely "slicker" as to how the action "feels" than the 39A. But, it's no more accurate, and I paid (too much obviously) 50% more for it than I did the like new 39A.

I'm of 1942 "vintage" so I generally like old stuff, but generally the longer a firearm has been manufactured the more it has PROBABLY been used. And just from the description you give of the one you are considering I would say it has not received the best of maintenance over the years..

Could be wrong, but often a rough external can give you a clue as to how the inside has been treated. Not all the time of course, but it's a good rule of thumb when buying something used, be it a truck, or a firearm.

As I said, I'm a "newbie" to the Marlin 39 rifle, but I have quickly gained an appreciation for their qualities..

Hope you find the Marlin 39 you want, but I'd be of the opinion that you haven't found it yet.. ;)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

PX,

Nice picture of your rifle there! Thanks for sharing.

Catherine

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I ended up leaving the show with an old Remington 550-1. The thing is sweet, its not perfect but I love it. I put 100 rounds thru it yesterday and didnot have a single problem. At 30yd the spinning target was getting a good workout.

I'll post a pic when I find the wifes camera

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
I would not pick up a damaged gun for that amount.

I paid $200 for my 2003 from a private party along with a Mountie for the same price, both in excellent shape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts