Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1961 336 in .35 Rem. Don't want to refinish, and actually like the "relic" look. But, I don't want the wood to dry out and crack. Tung oil, or what would help?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I'd take it down to the bare wood either with turpentine or sanding and then refinsh with boiled linseed oil. Tung oil will produce a semi hard shiny finish. Linseed is the classic nongloss oil finish.

If you don't remove what's left of the original finish, you may not like the piebald look, and it may not be easy to get the entire stock back to a uniform appearence later. It may be easier to refinish it all now than later.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That looks like a good worn pair of blue jeans.

From my experience in guitars, any type of finish won't necessarily protect wood from cracks.

Usually when a piece of wood is that old it has stabilized.

I agree that unless you remove what's left of the finish, you won't be pleased with the results from refinishing.

My feeling is that if you like the way it looks, leave it alone. But that's up to you.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
STOCK & TUNG OIL PICS 002.JPG
You can spray the stock with this stripper to make the stock more uniform looking. Spray it on, wait about 20 minutes, wipe it off. It is a mild stripper that is very easy to use. After it's cleaned up, then you can decide if you want to throw a coat of your favorite stock oil on it or not. The stripping may whisker the wood some because it wets the wood, and you will need to lightly go over it with some 0000 steel wool. This won't remove material but will cut the whiskers off, or you could use some 600grit that won't remove a noticeable amount of material either. Or, you could leave it the way it is too! Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it. :biggrin:

Reactions: erimort and Golphin

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Tru Oil would also help and is designed for gunstocks. Generally with a stock like that you leave it alone or strip off the old finish and redo.

DEP

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I'd strip it and put an oil finish on it. It's not that hard and you can probably do it in a week. If you get it stripped and sanded you could put a coat of finish on it each night and reassemble. I think you'll like the end product. Good luck and show us the after pictures however you finish it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree with all the posts saying to strip it and do a total refinish. Either leave it as is because you like the look (it got that way because of neglect) or give it the Full Monty and a nice new finish. I've used Tru-Oil and Formby's Tung oil. By far I prefer Formby's because it is thinner and easier to work with. Around 6-8 coats at least. All finishes that look glossy can be knocked down with 1000 grit wet/dry and paste wax. A great polish is Howard's Feed-N-Wax which is a mixture of Bees Wax and Orange Oil. Great stuff. The hardest part of refinishing a stock is finding the patience to wait 24 hrs between coats of the finish. That's why it takes a week or more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well, if it were MINE..... I would leave it completely alone and use it for all my hunting needs. THEN I would go out and buy one or two mint condition older 35 Remington Marlins to put in my safe..... LOL Just kidding here, but I probably would............

Ron

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I couldn't leave it like that either. I was thinking maybe some wipe on poly, but that would just be a bandaid. I'm not sure if that would look good, but what is left of the old finsh will continue to flake off.

I have used citrastrip to do the stocks I've refinished and then sprayed the new finish on and it looks a lot like factory. It's either Cabot's or Minwax spray on Spar urathane. It has UV inhibitors in it that regular poly doesn't.

Just my 2 cents,
-Bob George

·
Registered
882 Posts
Where I live I would have to be more worried about it getting wet and swelling than drying out an cracking.

If I wasn't going to refinish that stock I would even it out a little with steel wool or fine sand paper and then put a couple of coats of Johnson's Paste Wax on it.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
If you have some Armor All or similar product give it a coat of that. Easiest thing I can think of. Veggie oil would work too.

Best bet. Strip it and give it a few coats of Boiled Linseed Oil, without sanding. It'll still have that "relic" look with any scratches or dents, and a non glare finish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's not a relic look. That's an abused look. I'd be compelled to refinish that poor piece of wood. I want to sand my screen just looking at it.
I would have never expected such hurtful words from a fellow southerner. That's why I don't post a picture of myself. You would see what abuse really looks like.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I would have never expected such hurtful words from a fellow southerner. That's why I don't post a picture of myself. You would see what abuse really looks like.

Thank you for my laugh of the day. I have a little brother that made a lot of money as an "Before model" ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts