Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
I'd like to put together a 1895 in 50-70 with peep sights just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I would like to send my 444S off and get the Rorbar NP3 Plus finish done to it. Seeing how I’ll probably never come across a 444XLR at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A 336 in some kind of 26 caliber.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the 1895CB but I have never cared for the cross bolt safety and won't own one, I have quite a few 22" straight grip 1895's stockpiled from the early to mid '70's so I'm taking one out to build a 26" octagonal barrel rifle. The receiver will be color cased by Bobby Tyler of Tyler Gunworks in Friona Texas and Bobby will also do the barrel fitting and all the bluing. I'm partial to the Williams receiver sights and it'll have that as well as some action and trigger work. I have almost all of my parts together for the conversion and will send it off after the first of the year. It'll be a long wait as Bobby does all the color case work for Henry, Ruger, as well as Lipsey and Talo special edition projects. It'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Don't know if that would work Shortwheels. The .348 is based on the .50-110 case and the rim is a lot more in diameter than the 45-70. I had a Win. 71 for years and reloaded both my own cast and also jacketed bullets in the 348 case.
Rim on the 348 is .610, 45-70 is .608. Should be doable

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Take a new Stainless 336 in 35 Remington.
Convert to a short 35 caliber wildcat based on the Sig 277 Fury case.
Interesting ballistics might be possible with such a scenario.
Assuming it could be done at all.
I am thinking that Sig has hit the wave of the future insofar as case design is concerned.
To be able to withstand chamber pressures of 80,000 psi, the case will be strong enough that even in a less stout action, they should allow for increases in chamber pressures, and hence velocities, that prior to this were untenable.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If I could build anything I wanted? My own range. Nothing elaborate ... 100 yards would suit my needs just fine. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
My favorite dream rifle just happens to be a Marlin. Early 336 round bolt, short rifle. Rifle configuration, with a pistol grip butt, rifle buttplate. Steel cap on the forearm, with the forearm slimmed down to the action. Straight, no taper 20" barrel, full length magazine tube.
.38-55. Vintage tang sight, combination front sight. Deluxe checkered wood. I could fairly easily put this rifle together, but it's above my pay grade.

I think the short rifles are the most beautifully balanced and graceful of the leverguns.
I cannot understand why Winchester and Marlin didn't settle on the short rifle for their ubiquitous "carbine" that they both produced for decades. They would have had sooo much more class.....

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
814 Posts
Okay, so now you guys have got the gears going! For my dream short rifle I need a regular 336, and an octagon barrel in .38/55. Plus the fore arm and hardware to go with that octagon barrel.
What rifle would have an octagon barrel in .38/55, and would it screw into a 336? If not, what octagon barrel would screw into a 336 that I could get JES to rebore to .38/55?

The rest would be shortening the barrel to 20" and fitting the magazine tube.
The regular 336 is rifle configuration from the front of the receiver back, so that would be easy.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts