Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you were to start a custom Marlin project what would you build? Also if you've recently completed a project or are in the middle of one let us know how it's going.

I'll start:

Project I hope to start - my ideal Indiana deer gun: 1894 44 mag cut to 16.5", PG conversion & an all weather finish (haven't decided what finish yet).

Project I currently have underway: 1894 357 PG conversion. I've kept all the original parts and bought a spare tang & lever to send to muleman. I've had all the parts for a while just need to get the stock inletting done and refinish the walnut. With a 4 month old it's been hard getting projects done around here!

Can you tell I like PGs?

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I've had it in my mind to make something better fitted for nasty weather, not worry about it as much so to say, ha! Anyway, kinda' have had my eyes open locally for a sweet deal priced .35 rem, and as long as the bore was good not caring too much about the rest. Cut the barrel down to 17-18", Cerakote the metal surfaces (brownish/earth tones I think, ha), some type of bed-liner type coat on the stock, RPP lever loop, Skinner sights, etc. If not in .35 rem, a 444 would be fine... maybe even port that like my current 444P model perhaps. I can't bring myself to mess with any rifle I already have, and just prefer to wait for a so-called beater to play with I guess...
Actually, some years ago I bought a used Model 70 in 30-06 with cracked stock on a sweetheart deal, and started to do similar. Had the barrel cut down some and re-crowned by a friend, bought a pretty nice composite stock with a non-slip camo coating w/recoil pad (Bell & Carlson I think?), and was planning to put a fixed low power scope on it for Elk hunts in snow, rain, and all. Maybe a Timney trigger a buddy offered up if I wanted it also. I'd probably be smarter to finish that really. The new stock didn't fit that model year rifle right (which the MFG said could be possible due to the variations in Mod 70), and so needed some fitting work to install properly... anyway, it all got set aside and life happened, LOL!
Well, we'll see.... and good luck with yours... :)

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
I would build a 444 with heated stocks, neoprene wrapped barrel and lever. It would vibrate every five minutes to gently wake me from a nap, and have a bottle opener on it somewhere.

If you catch me hunting in adverse weather again, it probably won't be game animals I'm after.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't bring myself to mess with any rifle I already have, and just prefer to wait for a so-called beater to play with I guess...
I feel the same way - I have finally decided I'm not going to even consider permanently modifying the ones I have (after going back and forth for years)! I am looking for a well used 44 for my project - bump for my WTB thread!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
A few years ago on another forum (I think) a guy called the bear had an awesome all weather 45-70 for Alaska and I think I would do something similar."

·
Registered
351 Posts
Still up in the air as to which one to tackle first, but I want a 336 in 445SM and another in 357Max. I've got barrel blanks for both since if I'm going through the trouble they're going to have octagon barrels. Got an octagon channeled forearm and an extra carrier so far. Still reading old threads and waiting for a decent 336 to pop up locally at a time I have enough free cash to get it.

Reactions: 44Willie

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Don't know if that would work Shortwheels. The .348 is based on the .50-110 case and the rim is a lot more in diameter than the 45-70. I had a Win. 71 for years and reloaded both my own cast and also jacketed bullets in the 348 case.

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I'd probably like to take a beater 336 .30-30 and put on a 24"-30" octagonal barrel made for .38-55 Winchester and rifled for lead bullets. Also convert it to a straight stock and lever. I'd kinda like to have a long barreled cowboy styled .38-55.

But people in Hell would like ice water too.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Well, I picked up a nasty Marlin 336 in 35Rem, sent it off to RPP and they are going to refinish it and rebarrel it into 450 Bushmaster. Just sounded like an interesting way to go! Looking forward to seeing what Adam and company have done! I also have a '94 Marlin in 44mag that bubba had his way with....it is a mess...not sure what I want to do with it yet. But I'm thinking either just fixing it and having RPP make it into a 44 Buzzsaw....or may be something else....not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I also really like the 1894 357 magnum, I would love to have a stainless 1894 in 357 mag.. If I could find a rough 1894 I would like to convert it to pistol grip.. I can get by with straight grip, but I really prefer pistol grip when it comes to shooting, and fitting me. I would like one of the fancy coatings like melonite inside, and outside.. if not melonite then one of the fine gun paints, maybe something like tenifer... something to prevent rusting !!

I actually have a 336 30-30 that I have waiting to come up with enough money for a project rifle, or a good enough idea that would merit the work/money involved. I would like to try converting the 336 to a 357 magnum (maybe maximum) same rust prevention process as above.

A 336 with the above rust prevention coating converted to 38-55 would be nice as well

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always wanted to build a 336 with a free floated barrel to see how much accuracy
could be achieved. I would start by making the magazine tube screw into the receiver
and hanging the forearm on the magazine like a shotgun.

·
Super Moderator
23,683 Posts
I have all the parts to build a straight stocked 30-30 with a model A ballard barrel.
Just haven't done it...may not.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
My builds are a bit different than most but my last project is the 44SBR in my avatar. Currently wrapping up another project but am getting ready to convert a stainless 45-70 to yet another SBR.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Well, I got mine built by RPP! This rifle is a literal "blast" to shoot!
Model 336 450 Bush Master!
pB990CB.jpg
nK3HurC.jpg

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Does this thread also include Marlin-Ballards?

If it does, I would like to make up a Ballard Montana No. 5 1/2 hunter's rifle. Find a clean and tight Ballard action, stock it with a straight stock and shotgun butt, install a heavy 30" barrel, chambered for the .45- 100 2 7/8" Sharps. Include a wiping rod and barrel thimbles, aperture front or Beach Combination Sight and vernier tang. Hopefully keep the weight 14 - 15 pounds.

For-Those-Not-In-the-Know, the Ballard Montana is a very rare Ballard with selling prices equal to their rarity.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmmmm. Just rechambered a 336A to 30WCF AI to see how it does. If it doesn't do what I'm looking for I'm going to either go 7-30 or 25-35 AI or the Tomcat. Barrel will be 26" half round/half octagon, button mag., and restocked in figured wood with a traditional Marlin rifle butt and the "S" pistol grip, to match my 1899 vintage 1893 takedown deluxe. I'll rust blue it myself after I get the stock work done. Sighting will be one of a few Savage or Winchester multi leaf rear sights and a Beach combo front out of my parts drawers. Also have a couple of good tang sights to mount as well.
I'll probably end up building both of these, even if the 30 WCF AI works, cuz I like the rounds and the looks. Only other Marlin custom I'd really like to do would be in 219 Zipper Imp. With a fast twist for 70 grain slugs, it would work for small deer and antelope, and with the 69 grain slugs, be a good cure for the coyote flu. Probably just leave sights off and a straight 6X for a scope.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts