Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a substantial increase in velocity over the regular 160gr round, but what will the 140 gr Monoflex be able to do better? More controlled expansion, less meat damage? Greater range? Greater penetration on game like elk?

Thursday I find out if I have been drawn for a CA elk tag, and admittedly I am counting my cartridges before they are in the magazine...

·
Registered
277 Posts
IMHO I think the real benefit will be that the bullet is a solid copper bullet (like Barnes). I have heard that some folks have experienced catastrophic bullet expansion (blowing up, disintegrating, coming apart, fragmenting, take your pick :-\) with using the FTX but others have had great success, so it may be a tossup. I usually load cast or in my .308 MX I use Winchester RN power points and 150 gr Speer FN (discontinued) but I have ordered a bunch of these 140gr Monoflex bullets to try out. Being that it is 20 grains lighter than the FTX I imagine the ballistics will be better as well. Good luck on the CA elk tag

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Definitely more penetration, and bone breaking potential. For example, I have gone as small as a .221 Fireball rifle using a 50gr Barnes XLC bullet to kill a hog ( .50 cal hole through and through), a 6x47mm and 85 XBT to kill a 500# Scimitar Horned Oryx at 185yds, to as big as a .375 H&H and 270X on African plains game, with many calibers/bullet weights in between; they work very well.
I just ordered my 308ME dies. Later on, when I do get around to loading for it, I will use the LE powder and the 140 MFLX plus the Speer 170 HotCor.(Just cause I like the bullet! :))

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, here is my opinion. You will get better balistics with the 140 gr however expansions concerns me....here is why...I reload 7mm rem mag and 7mm 08, as long as i am above 3100 fps on the barnes 140gr TTSX i get good expansion. This means i load the TTSX in the 7mm rem mag but I do not load it in the 7mm 08. I use a 140 Nosler Partition for that cartitridge (7mm 08) since its going about 2700 fps. So basically if the bullet is screaming and the game is a thick animal (body wise) i use barnes ttsx, if its below 3000fps i use Nos Part.

one caviat to this, if the animal is thin (Body wise) like georgia deer 150-200lbs the Barnes doesnt travel thru enough mass to open up well even at 3100+ fps, so i use nosler part there as well. Ok i got off on a tangent.

my point being if the new Guilding metal bullet is like a barnes copper bullet (very tough) I am not sure what type of expansion you will get on deer size game at below 3000fps. In my experience using all copper bullets you need to push them very fast and thru a lot of body mass in order to get good expansion due to the bullets toughness.

Conclusion, if you need a bullet that will go thru bone, armour, whatever and stay together (moose elk, i think a copper / guilding metal is your ticket. if you want relaible expansion, it may not work at the fps within the 308 capabilities. JMHO....

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I would be willing to bet the 30-30 Monoflex is engineered for lower velocity. It wouldn't hurt to shoot through both shoulders of any animal to make sure. I was shooting both the .221 (50XLC) and the 6x47mm (85xbt) around 2900fps at the muzzle. The only animal that the 85XBT zipped through was jackrabbits. The pig ( .221/50gr) and the Oryx/Axis deer (85XBT) were all tough enough animals to initiate expansion. My 250X (2600) and the 200X (2970) in my .35 Whelen Improved opened textbook style. Of course, I shot all the others, from 300 mags to 338 winmags over 3100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts