Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cow elk tag and a mule deer buck tag (and possibly bear). I looked at all my different loads for my 444 and decided to go with the NOE/RD432-300 over 45gr H4198. My parameters for elk are impact velocity above 1600fps, impact energy above 1600ft/lbs and when sighted in 2" high at 100, the drop is less than 5 inches at 200. The RD432-300 meets all those parameters out to about 215 yards. So if I use this round, my max range for the cow elk will be about 215 yards. For mule deer, I'll be able to shoot out to 300 if I have a good rest.
I'll be using a 444 Marlin, that's a given, but which one? I took the '65 out to see if it shoots the RD432-300 with 45gr H4198. My concern, is the '65 has a tighter chamber and I didn't know how well the 45gr load will work. It did well, producing a group of a little under 0.9" at 100 yards. The groups were about on par as what I typically get with my '07 SS, but the velocity was actually lower with the 24" barrel of the '65. Average was about 2218fps. That's about 20fps lower than what I recorded previously with my '07 with a 22" barrel. I was expecting 2270-2280. It will still do just fine. 300gr + 2200fps = Big Medicine
Here is the best group of 3 different 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
187CVandRD432-300loaddevelopment008_zpsa756633f.jpg
Preparation for this years hunt is much easier than last years for me. Last year, I was working on load development with the 237gr Sage Country and couldn't lock it down until I realized the rings and base had come lose. By that time it was too late to do load development before my season so I ended up using Hornady Superperformance for coues whitetail. I never needed any bullets anyhow. Great hunt though.

What round or load are you all using in your 444 this year?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I knew what round I was going to use a couple of months ago but now I am back to experimenting. I had originally decided to go with a 270g LHP over 27g of SR 4759 at a bit over 1700 fps, but now I am considering switching to 341g FN Jacketed over 39g of H4198, this is about 1800 fps. I would like to shoot the 341g a bit slower but with my 1:38 twist I cant as the groups really expand as I approach 1700 fps. Good news is I have 3 months until rifle season so I can change my mind a couple of more times.:flute:

BB

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have am antelope tag, regular elk, additional cow/calf elk, and deer if I want to.
My good ol' 265 Hornady load with 46.5 gr H4198 is probably what I'll use. The XLR is dialed in for it and will shoot an inch or so.
I will be in grizzly country so might re - zero with 300 great XTP or another heavy weight.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My hunting season starts with a cow Elk tag.
The 336/444/1895 won't be done, but I will be taking the .444 Handi-Rifle.
Primary - 275 gr swaged bullets (.40 S&W case, pure lead core) on top of [many] gr H4198, seated to 2.435" in Hornady brass. Muzzle velocity in the Handi is 2,332 fps for the 'standard' load, but my Super-Mega-Barn-Burner-Crazy load runs over 2,500 fps. I'll probably stick with the standard stuff...
For backup - the last 6 rounds of 265 gr SuperFormance. (I never plan on using that many, but it's my last six! And I plan to share with Cornbush, too. :afraid:)

Edited to add velocity.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'll be using factory 265 gr leverevolution. My gun shoots pretty good with those and I don't reload yet. All I hunt is whitetail...and if a black bear showed up maybe that too, though I've never seen one with a rifle in my hands.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Just little ole whitetail deer for me this year, so my go too 444 will be used as well as a 30-30 Texan, I haven't even started on my load work for the 30-30 yet, waiting for bullets. My standard Whitetail load in our 444's is Reloder#7 with the Speers great Gold Dot 270gr deer killing, deer sammitch making bullet! Very, very accurate and a very solid performer on deer!

I going to get my feet wet with PCing cast bullets, if this pays out with velocity and accuracy, I will setup a 444 with Ranch Dogs Original 285gr bullet (it's really 265gr) and maybe I will use the PC also in the 30-30 with Ranch Dogs 165gr bullet!

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
White tail all I got. Got a Lyman 429650 300gr mold, mine drop 316 to 318gr, and a healthy dose of H4198. Need to get some GC's though. Also have a 240gr Lee that will probably get a chance too.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Only whitetail, song dogs or maybe the odd wild boar, so Remington factory 240's. Have some 270 grain Georgia Arms but my 444S doesn't like 'em. Planning on working up a a different handload with some 240 SP but have gotten around to it yet.

And Win 94, that reloading area is entirely to well kept!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I haven't had time to work with my Outfitter since I repaired the lifter. I just pciked up 2 boxes of LeverRevelutions from Midway so I guess that'll be my round for the upcomming hog hunt and deer season. Now I'll have 40 short cases to work with when I do get around to reloading again. I just couldn't bring myself to trim back a standard length case.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
Went and loaded some Hornady 265 gr. fn into both Remington and Hornady cases tonight, sitting on 45.5 grs. of H-4198 with Winchester Large Rifle Primers, should see about 2200 fps at the muzzle. Prior like loads show very good promise at 50 yds, time for the range and chrony to find out....for real! This target from 8-7-11. Mr fixit
August 7, 2011 45.5 gr..jpg

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Well... IF I had drawn any rifle tags at all...

My son scored 4 boxes of the H'dy 265 gr JFP for me a year or so ago. Since I have so many of these, I'll just keep loading them as the need arises. That bullet over a charge of 45.7 gr of H-4198 produces 2,275 fps from my 20" barreled XLR, and is plenty accurate for me - - out to the 250 yards that I've tested it at.

When those bullets are about all gone, I reckon I'll either track down some more, or go with an LBT 280 or 290 gr LFN-GC. I've already done the load work for the 280 gr bullet, but would have to start from scratch on the 290 grainer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well since I have been working on the road all year and living in motels five to six days a week reloading has had to be put on hold. I'm slowly getting the setup together when able to work on it but not going to have time between now and opening day to develop and test a good round. So I'll be using the Reminton 240 gr. fn factory ammo. It is more accurate out of my model P than the Hornady gummy tips and produces way more power than is needed to lay down a white tail deer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts