Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first I would like to say thanks to everyone who replied to my 1st post.

My situation now is to decide what Weaver rings I should order to correctly install my Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 scope on my 336C rifle. The mounting base on the rifle is the Weaver 63B. I have called Cabelas and Bass Pro with this question and no one there was able to answer my question. They both replied for me to bring in the rifle to their store and find out which rings would fit. Since I live a considerable distance from either of these stores it is not logical for me to drive 4 hours to get an answer to determine which rings I should order to complete the installation of the scope.... If anyone out there can give me the Weaver part number of the rings that will work and whether they should be the high or extra high, please let me know.

This 78 year old man on 13 September with bad eyes would certainly appreciate your replies.... Thanks a bunch in advance.:shot:

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
The Standard "High" Rings Are Probably What You Need.
I Have a Spare (New Unopened) Set of Weaver Xtra High Rings if U R Interested.
Bought them to Mount a Weaver 3-12X50 & were Too High.
Make Me An Offer & They're Yours.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello Sarge,
Ideally you want to keep the Objective (Large) end of the scope as close to the top of the Barrel as you can leaving approx 1/8" to 3/8" clearance between Objective Bell & top of barrel. I prefer "Warne" brand scope rings because they give you the distance from the bottom of the Scope ring to the bottom of the ring base. Warne scope rings sold on Midway USA will give you that dimension. It will help if you draw a circle to the diameter of you Objective Bell on paper, then draw a vertical line through the center of the circle and mark the line in the center to get 1/2 of the diameter. Next draw a horizontal line 1/8" or 3/8" under the Circle you drew for the Bell this line will indicate the clearance you want to be off the barrel. Add the dimension of the height of the Scope Ring you select to the dimension of 1/2 of your Objective Bell and add to that the 1/8" or 3/8" clearance you want between the barrel and the Bell of the scope. Don't forget to include the height of the Ring bases that may tapped into barrel unless you have a Picantinny Rail.
I know it sounds complicated, but after you draw it on paper it will make sense. With the price of good Rings being expensive
you don't want them too High or too Low that the Scope touches the Barrel.

Good Luck !
Glenn

·
Registered
210 Posts
You want to mount the scope as low as possible. I have no doubt extra high would be to tall, and you could probably mount that scope in medium rings and be alright.
The last 2 50mm objective scopes I mounted went in medium rings. Granted they were on bolt actions, but I have a 336 at home, and I think I have a 50mm objective scope laying around, so when I get home I will check and if so, I will post again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
A 50mm objective only needs 1/5" more clearance than a 40mm objective. High rings give this and more compared to standard low rings.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Gkayea, did you mean 1/8 to 3/8 or 1/8 to 3/16? Pretty big difference in the first option. Personally, I'd set it up closer to 1/16 to 1/8".

The other thing to consider is rear sight clearance or possibly the need to remove the rear sight completely. Some Marlins have a rear sight that folds down but most do not and scope position fore and aft will be a factor also.

Not that is any of my business, but is there any reason you are putting such a large scope on your gun? Most here trend towards the fixed 3 or 4 powers or the smaller 2-7 variables. The goal being too gain a sighting advantage without changing the weight and handling characteristics of the rifle very much. Again, your choice what you use. I've put scopes on guns in the past simply because they were all I had available or all I could afford so I've ended up with some crazy combos myself. Your rig should work great in low light situations that need more magnification but maybe a little bulky to tote around.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
trekker,
You're Right about the Medium Rings. That's what I ended up Using w/ the 50mm.
Mounted to a One Piece Weaver Low Base on my Mossberg SSi-1 .223.
Scope Now Sits about 1/8in. over the Barrel. Just Right.
US58

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yip, medium rings. I tried 2 different scopes, a cheap 10-40x50 (barska I think) and my Vortex viper PST 4-16x50, and both had enough clearance in medium rings for butler creek scope caps. One caveat though, both scopes have 30mm tubes. Shouldn't make a difference, but I felt compelled to mention it.

As a side note, it is really odd looking when a large long range tactical scope with 5" sunshade is mounted on a 30-30 carbine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Dave,
What I meant by 1/8" to 3/8" off the Barrel is a matter of Preference, I my self try to keep the height of the bottom of the Objective Bell within that range, I mentioned nothing about using "See Through" Scope Mounts for using rear sights or the eye relief from the Ocular end of the scope. The question posted did not mention he was going to be using Iron sights. I use a fixed power 4x28 mm scout scope on my 45-70 but i am not looking for 1/2" groups at 100 yds.either.

I use use a Higher Power scope 4x12x42 on my .308 when I target shoot over 100 yds, my eyes are not as good as they were when I was in my fifties.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts