Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my previous thread I mused about the probability of having to reline the newly arrived 38-55 Marlin 1893. With some encouragement from Mark and others I got the bore brushes and lead-away patches out and went to work on the bore. After a few hours of scrubbing away I could actually see rifling the entire length of the bore! Unfortunately I also discovered I had a broken firing pin and couldn't test fire it, ... until today!

After installing the new firing pin I set up some targets on the archery range (meaning 35 yards is my LONG shot without jumping the fence and standing in my neighbor's pasture. Anyway I started in closer to make sure I was on paper and functioning using the Lee bullet (as cast) over a smidgen (a scientific term) of W231 that I use for a subsonic (quieter) vermin/plinking load in the 336 Cowboy in Winchester brass. The 115 year old rifle cycled them easy as pie.

First shot a hole appeared right where the front sight was when I touched it off. Second shot, same story, in fact I had to walk up closer to the target to make sure that it actually hit the paper as I could only see one hole. After a quick inspection I decided to really air it out and plop my butt down on a block of wood (bad idea whilst wearing a robe - more on that later) and see what it'll do at 25 - which we all know is the outer limits for these "brush guns."

Well that looked somewhat promising to me so I grabbed a box of the WD 260's (Accurate Molds 382-250B) over Unique and posted another target.

Five shots later and my neighbors are wondering what I'm doing in the backyard in my robe with a big grin on my face. :biggrin: They've been hearing rumors and two of them have their houses up for sale... Coincidence?

After some brief 'splainin' I head back inside and I proceed to negotiate with my disproportionately hot wife to get her to help with some slivers I can feel but can't see. Eventually I convince (bribe) her and she proceeds with the operation right then and there. A few howling screams and a smattering of whimpering later and I'm good to go.

Here's a picture of the rifle. I'm thinking it might be a good one.

The whilst the "proceedure" was going on picture.

I didn't fire enough rounds to get a lube star but things look pretty good so far.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hhmmm.... I'll hazard a guess the neighbor's selling their houses may not just be all coincidence. With just the facts presented - it would seem you're on the deck, taking pictures of your rifle laying on the Fernando robe, nekkid with a couple odd band-aids on your butt, in cowboy boots...

But the important thing is the new rifle is gonna be a shooter!

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does appear to show some promise. We won't know for sure until it gets over to the U-Pick for some proper testing.

The sights are the next thing I need to get sorted out.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
She's looking good and appears to be shooting very nicely to boot! (No pun intended.) Given the attire, probably a good thing ya didn't crawl over the fence to get a longer shot, might have gotten more than a few splinters for war wounds.:ahhhhh: DP

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
I don't know your bore size, but I see your testing some .379 - .382' diameters. My rifle shot undersize .380 LC in my .381+ bore well with H-4198 for about 30 rounds or so and then leaded to where accuracy fell off. Something to watch for if you stay with the small diameter. The Unique would not work well at all with .380 bullets in my gun. The .382's were a world of difference in the accuracy department using Unique, not to mention cleaning was a breeze. I've found that undersize bullets can shoot well, but at lower velocity. I did have to shorten my brass with the .382's so they would chamber, but well worth it! Good luck with the load testing Wet Dog! So many variables that need to be tested! No wonder your sneaking out back to test loads. Could be the lady next door enjoys watching you in your little outfit!:flute:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hey Fernando - that old 1893 38-55 I had at the Happenz III has a sewer pipe bore and I was hitting the 400 yard dinger with buckhorns. You should be able to bang the 650 yard dinger with ease when you get an MVA site on that sweetheart!

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Fernando saved your splinter receptacle it would seem---save the money for the reline and get the MVA of your dreams---great gun, nice article and very impressive shooting. All good things come to those who wait---or something like that.

Steve

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Hey Mo,

Great start!

Having fooled with a few Mil/surp, with "dark" bores, only way to know, is to play the "shoot and see" game. LOL

Now, about the robe...............ROTFLMAO!

Dad used to tell me, "Son, if you're gonna be dumb, you need to be tough." (wonder what he meant by that?) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Mo,

Looks like you got a shooter there......................

Re: the Robe.................Well, does it match your........Aww, never mind.........:ahhhhh:.........but does it have sturdy pockets fer Ammo?..:hmmmm:
an a belt fer those cold windy mornin's?...............

Tom

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey, Wet Dog, it looks as if you've a real shooter there. Good to know you aren't going to have to reline it. Anxious to see what your 100 yd targets look like after you get everything set up the way you like.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Chris,
100 targets might be a ways off yet but if'n I manage to get to the U-Pick as planned later this month I should have some video of me going after the 400 yard dinger, and longer if my sight base arrives before then.

Something about shooting in a dinger rich environment that attracts the front sights of my rifles.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
It's a shame we don't have an "envy" smilie on the forum! :biggrin: I bet you and Fernando will do just fine...........just wish I could join you. A whole lot of things in my life would have to change.............but maybe someday!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Here's a picture of the rifle. I'm thinking it might be a good one.

The whilst the "proceedure" was going on.
Please tell us that's not your robe under the rifle. :ahhhhh:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Beginning to understand the "For Sale" signs on the homes adjacent to Wet Dog's!

Let's see if I can get that straight in my head. Man in bathrobe, cowboy boots, hat and gun belt, in back yard "exercising" a fine Marlin rifle.

Then same man, in boxers, cowboy boots, hat and gun belt, "dis robes", to use his robe as a "back drop", in order to take pics of fine Marlin rifle, to post on a forum full of Marlin Addicts.

Wonder the neighbors don't call the boys with the "butterfly" nets. LOL And them fancy "dinner" jackets, what have all the straps affixed to the back. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Beginning to understand the "For Sale" signs on the homes adjacent to Wet Dog's!

Let's see if I can get that straight in my head. Man in bathrobe, cowboy boots, hat and gun belt, in back yard "exercising" a fine Marlin rifle.

Then same man, in boxers, cowboy boots, hat and gun belt, "dis robes", to use his robe as a "back drop", in order to take pics of fine Marlin rifle, to post on a forum full of Marlin Addicts.

Wonder the neighbors don't call the boys with the "butterfly" nets. LOL And them fancy "dinner" jackets, what have all the straps affixed to the back. LOL

Later, Mark

BOXERS??.......BOXERS ???.....:hmmmm::ahhhhh:...............:biggrin:

I didn't read anything about Boxers!........But,.......:hmmmm: now I'm beginnin' to understand the neighbors For Sale signs!........:biggrin:

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Jeff
Well Jeff, the robe needed to come off fer the "procedure" and my wife wasn't crazy about me holding a rifle whilst undergoing it. :flute: I did think it made a purdy backdrop so I snapped a picture.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts