Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a real nice 336 stock that I want to refinish with a hand rubbed oil finish. While doing so I'd like to go over the factory checkering to sharpen it up. There are 13 lines per inch on the grip and 10 lines per inch on the forearm but nobody that I know of sells an 10 or 13 lpi tool. The closest that I'm aware of is a 16 lpi tool which might be far too fine for the forearm. If I can't find a tool sized right I'll just leave the checkering alone.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
you can use a single line checkering tool, theyre used for sharpening and deepening cuts.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yep, single line tool is what's called for. The multi-line per inch tools are for checkering more than one line at a time and must match the spacing of the existing checkering exactly. For freshening panels with different lines per inch stuff, the single line tool is the only option. Slow, tedious work but it can really make a marked difference in appearance especially if the original job was pressed checkering and not cut. Even while using a headband type magnifier, which makes checkering a lot easier, it's the kind of job I can only work at for twenty minutes at a time without taking a break and resting my eyes.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Go for the single line these guys have given great advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts