Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeroed my marlin 336 20" barrel today. I zeroed at 25 yards with my rounds impacting directly on top of my front sight post. At 100 yards the standard irons covered quite a bit of my shoot n c target so this is the best I could do. Does this look about right?

The tight group is the 25 the other two are the 100. its about a fists width

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would say a deer would be dead if hit in the vitals with that kind of shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Excellent!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, that makes me feel a little bit better. I come from an Ar-15 background shooting sub 1" groups at 100 so seeing this had me concerned I was doing something wrong. I Don't plan on using a scope with this rifle as I have other rifles that are more suited to scoped distance work. This is a hog and deer gun for Florida hunting where shots rarely ever reach 200 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Way better than I could shoot with the factory irons. Had to switch to a rear peep sight to be able to shoot it. Nice shooting.

Stu

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Focal06.

Obviously, your best tool in which to test your rifles accuracy would be to add a scope.

However, I fully understand your reasoning regarding why you dont wish to do this.

With this being said all is not lost.
Remember, the sights on a marlin are designed for quick target acquisition at moderate to close distances. Your shooting at distances in which the thick sites are now obscuring the better part of your target, and yet your still not shooting poorly.

Its entirely possible you may have fired two shots into a 1inch group, and pulled the remaining shot. With this in mind and the fact your using open sights I would say you did well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you don't want a scope but want a better sighting option for irons, look into the various peep sights available. They increase the sight radius and are simply easier to acquire targets with.

Another option is a red dot.

Also, three shot groups really aren't all that telling from a practical shooting standpoint. Shoot it a bit more and see what your average spread is.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm going to apply some white paint to the front brass bead. It really started blending in to the rear sight notch with the brass color at distance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't want a scope but want a better sighting option for irons, look into the various peep sights available. They increase the sight radius and are simply easier to acquire targets with.

Another option is a red dot.

Also, three shot groups really aren't all that telling from a practical shooting standpoint. Shoot it a bit more and see what your average spread is.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums
Yea, I think after seeing today's results s set of 5P sights may be in order. I was trying to see what was possible with the factory irons before I spent the money.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
A good peep sight should shrink those groups in half. That's been my experience.

Reactions: bryan alder

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I would say you will be just fine those are kill shots all day and it would be a dead animal!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I beg to differ with Just a Hunter's statement that Marlin factory sights are designed to provide quick acquisition. Marlin factory sights are designed to be as cheap as possible without any regard for accomplishing anything beyond what you are able to do with them as demonstrated by your targets. Want quicker acquisition and much better accuracy put on a receiver or tang peep sight with a good front blade of your choice. Marlin factory sights (and most other manufacturers sights too) haven't improved since the 1600s except for the stepped elevation slide.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Zeroed my marlin 336 20" barrel today. I zeroed at 25 yards with my rounds impacting directly on top of my front sight post. At 100 yards the standard irons covered quite a bit of my shoot n c target so this is the best I could do. Does this look about right?

The tight group is the 25 the other two are the 100. its about a fists width
It's obvious you didn't shoot those groups with my eyes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's decent shooting and no critter would know the difference.

That said I like my opens sights. I have a Williams peep on a one of my rifles and factory notched rear with front blade on the other. My eyes are changing and I find the peep to be easier to focus on target and sights. On the rifle with factory sights, I painted the rear of the rear sight flat black and put a white stripe on the blade. The contrast with no glare helped tremendously. I like it so good I painted the peep flat black and the striped the blade white on the other rifle. Just don't try shooting at a white target with a white blade. However, it shows up good on darker colored game.

The only thing I don't like about the peep is when hunting in low light I lose a few minutes more than I do with the notched open sights.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
That's good shooting with iron sights at 100 yards. Way to go. You should feel good.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts