Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking at buying my very first Marlin! I've decided to go with the Marlin 336 in 30-30. While doing some research I've found that the quality of the Marlin line went down after the buyout to Remington, so I wanna buy one made before the buyout. I'd like to know what kind of markings on the gun to look for to make sure it was in fact made before the buyout. Thanks for any information!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Should be a JM proof mark on the left side of the barrel right next to the receiver to start with. Check the serial number -- if it starts with MR it might be trouble. Give us the first two digits of the serial number and we can probably tell you when it was manufactured. Hope that helps! John

·
Registered
263 Posts
DAC - Remington announced their purchase of Marlin in January 2008. From that point on they effected Marlin quality, whether by laying off Marlin craftsmen while still using already manufactured components for assembly, and lowering its quality control (some of these poorly assembled Marlins carry the JM stamp), through the point that they eventually fired all the Marlin craftsmen, moved manufacturing and assembly to NY, creating their own manufacturing line. Just saying.

Like Wincherster, whose American production ceased in 2006 and now just a replica of the classic American levergun is made by B.C. Miroku in Japan, today's Marlin firearms are just replicas made by someone else, Remington, although this time the jobs did stay in America.

·
Super Moderator
15,511 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
And be informed that the actual JM stamping on some JM Marlins might not exactly look like a distinct and easy to read "JM".

And that this does not mean that particular JM Marlin is any less a quality firearm than one with a clear &easily read JM stamping.

The JM stamping was done with a hand held device And sometimes the JM stamping comes out a little less than perfect.

·
Premium Member
15,370 Posts
good luck in your search and
Welcome to Marlin Owners,
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

Reactions: gadjolever

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
And that my friends is a happy ending. Well, to this phase of DAC87's blossoming addiction. :flute:

Reactions: gadjolever

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Great looking rifle!!:congrats: Now... you just need to get rid of those ugly see-thru rings. :flute: (Just kidding... my brother uses them on a .30-06 and loves'em.)

Reactions: Wes

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum, that's a good looking rifle, now go throw some lead down range and let us know how she shoots. :biggrin:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on getting your first Marlin levergun, they are special! A word of warning though, like a Gremlin fed after midnight, you may find yourself surrounded by others soon, it's called Marlinitis!

Reactions: miket156

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
From what I'm reading you can find a good Remington made Marlin if you look hard enough, Remington knows it has issues and hopefully they will get things worked out. In the meantime, since you're after a JM Marlin I strongly suggest that you read this from Tomray who was a design engineer (I think) at Marlin. Mr fixit
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-reference-material/39549-buying-used-marlin-tomray.html
Use the same criteria from Tomray on a NIB Marlin made rifle, used Marlin made rifle, or any new Remington made Marlin rifle. If you follow those guidelines you should have no worries about any Marlin firearm you are drooling over.

Reactions: Mr Fixit

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
:congrats:Well guys...we've infected another person and he's now afflicted with a serious case of Marlinitis

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Lol is it bad I'm already planning on getting a 1894 in .357?
Wow! Jumping from "run of the mill" right into the big bucks if you're thinking of a 357 now. They don't come cheap.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
That Rifle looks to be in VERY nice condition. 30-30 ammunition is readily available and not expensive. Everyone should own at least one 30-30.

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Welcome and congrats! That is a nice clean looking specimen. Should do wonderfully on TN white tail, black bear, and those invasive hogs with Russian lineage. Not a huge fan of the see through rings- I prefer to keep the scope as close to the bore line as possible on a brush buster to limit snags.

If you're already looking at picking up a .357, I'm predicting you'll be needing a bigger safe. Welcome to the affliction...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts