Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really vehicle related but hopefully someone here might know?

The manuals of the 2 cycle powered tools, string trimmers, blowers, tillers, etc. make a big issue with using fresh mixed gas. So what do I do with the mixed up gas left over from last year? I don't want to take the chance of gunking up those tiny passages in the carburators. Can't throw it out with the trash, or pour it down the drain...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
515 Posts
if you mix sta-bil in it it will last one year, i use it in my chainsaw and snowblower and have had no problems.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It should still be OK if it's left over from last year. Most 2-cycle oils have some kind of fuel stabilizer in them. At least the Craftman synthetic that I use does.

What ratio mix? I'd just put a bit of it in with the mower fuel to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I agree with paulo. Just mix it into plain fuel and use it in a 4 stroke.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Well, as mentioned, the Manual states "Always Use Fresh Gas", but I've been using year old gas for years and never had any problems, but if you would still prefer not to use it, besides an ant problem as mentioned above, I like to keep some old gas around for any problematic bees in the ground. No need to light it either. I just wait till night time, keep a shovel full of dirt close by, dump in the gas and quickly cover the hole. Works great.

But I also agree with the above, just dump it in your truck tank as an alternative.

Bill

·
Registered
493 Posts
Back yard fire starter ....... Why take a chance ....... I am working on a fuel contamination problem right now ...... $1500 ....... Not mine but a client put his "old" gas (5 gals) in his veh and only drove 2 miles and let the car sit for 3 days ..... NO start and looks like a filter and injectors are what's needed ..... Plus a drop the tank and flush fuel lines .....

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Also Works Great for Startin' Brush Piles :vroam:
US58

Reactions: Sharkey

·
Registered
493 Posts
or weed killer ..... Not recommended by the EPA .....

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Gas is an excellent weed killer. If you have a sidewalk apply it to the cracks between the concrete on a bright sunny day. Be sure to wet down the weeds completey. In the hot sun, those weeds are dead in short order.

You will find that gas ends up being cheaper than round up and the like. It will work on nasty weeds you get on your lawn too. Just be careful not to spill it on the lawn, it works on grass too! I don't waste ANY gas.

Mike T.

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
If I were dumping it in a modern vehicle fuel tank I would make sure it had a lot of fuel in the tank or do it at the same time as filling the tank.

It does kill weeds, and can sterilize the soil. Something I would love to do on my place in certain spots. Off Topic FYI: if you buy the 41% glyphosate generic at your local feed store it costs way less than gasoline to kill weeds. $48 for 2.5gal of concentrate that makes 100 gallons of mix at 3oz per gallon and 150 gallons of mix at 2oz per gallon.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Of what's left of the 5 gallons I mixed three years ago now for my Yamaha, I've been burning it in the Yamaha, 2 Poulans, one Husqvarna and the Brigs on my mower, NO ISSUES AT ALL!, it is SHELL V Power super with REDLINE synthetic racing oil @ 40:1.
Now a few years ago I purchased 5 gallons of said fuel at a VERY! out of the way station!?, the Yamaha would barly run on that OLD! crap gas!, pizzed me off, cost about $40 for 5 gallons of that mix gas at the time!, dumped it all in my Jeep and topped it off with fresh fuel, burnt just fine!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are using non ethanol gas should not be a problem as long as it's stored correctly. Out of the sun, inside the shop. But even a small amount in your lawn mower might do the trick.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
2 words...
Tracer Rounds! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I only mix one gallon a year and what's left, which isn't very much I mix it with four or five gallons of regular gas and use it in my snow blower. The mixture is 32 to 1 and by the time I mix it with my regular gas it's probably 200 to 1 if not more. It doesn't hurt a thing in the blower, in fact it may help to lube the cylinder a little more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts