Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old SxS shotgun that I inherited from my father.

This is an under lever 16g hammer gun. I would date it to the 30s or before. The barrel lock up is unacceptably and dangerously loose, the barrels are heavily pitted, and the side lock sears need repair. There is no finish left on either the receiver or the barrels, and they are so speckled (my dad once painted the barrels silver for use as a stage prop...) that I can't absolutely tell whether they are steel or Damascus, although I suspect they are steel. The stock has big gouge in the cheek area, almost as if it were struck with a hatchet.

There are no markings on the shotgun, no maker, no serial number, but I get the impression that it is European, and possibly German. There are proof marks, but I've not researched them. It must have been rather nice at one time, as there are scrolled silver wire inlays on the side locks, and a bit of engraving on the under lever. The stock has a Monte Carlo and a fluted pistol grip knob. I can tell nothing about the quality of the wood, since the stock finish is opaque. It has sling loops, one screwed into the stock, the other soldered between the barrels. Long before I ever saw this shotgun, it had been "rode hard, and put away wet", apparently many, many times.

I don't need a wall hanger, and I do not think this would be worth the expense to restore--it certainly is not worth it to me. I do not think it would be saleable in it's current condition, certainly not for any more than $20. And I could use the extra room in my safe.

What does one do with or how does one dispose of something like this? I keep hoping a local agency will announce a fire arm buy back, but none has.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I see wall hangers/non-functional firearms show up fairly regularly on firearms auctions consignment sales. Sometimes they only go for 20-$30. More often than I expect they go for more though around the $100 range.

I don't know if that's an option or if it would ultimately getting more than the $20 or so after the Auctioneers fees etc. It's probably what I'd do with it here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts