Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently added a new subset of firearms to my collection, namely muzzleloaders, and have found a few muzzleloading specific forums with items for sale, but found it odd that there didn't seem to be anything for sale related to black powder and muzzleloading on this forum even though we have this Black Powder subtopic. Was curious if other members ever list such items for sale here, or if everyone tends to list them elsewhere?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to being the crazy uncle they keep locked in a closet.

Reactions: darkwater

·
Super Moderator
26,978 Posts
darkwater, we have no designated black powder TP sub-form, folks use the following TP sub-forum:
Rifles For Sale/Wanted/NO MARLINS HERE

Jack

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darkwater, we have no designated black powder TP sub-form, folks use the following TP sub-forum:
Rifles For Sale/Wanted/NO MARLINS HERE
Jack
Thanks, Jack...though the lack of anything there currently makes me think black powder items are going to be infrequent. Hope you have been well, it's been awhile since I've checked in here!

·
Super Moderator
26,978 Posts
Thanks, Jack...though the lack of anything there currently makes me think black powder items are going to be infrequent. Hope you have been well, it's been awhile since I've checked in here!
They are infrequent but when they show up, folks show interest. We're all hanging in there, don't be such a stranger.

Jack

Reactions: navajo

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
OP, start posting your questions and results. A BP section might take off, or it might founder. No way to tell. There is a lot of expertise and interests here.

Black powder and muzzle loading only attracts a few percent of fire arm owners. There are certainly forums specific to those disciplines that are very active. Even so, most of those who use BP or muzzle loaders do so as a way to add another week or two to their hunting seasons. And they mainly choose BP substitutes with inline systems an shotgun primer ignition.

Marlin history goes back to the era of BP cartridges and that comes up not infrequently as a topic, but Marlins were never muzzle loaders, as far as I know.

FWIW, I have a Pecatonica River muzzle loader kit (Ohio rife--cap side lock, half stock with a cast fore end piece) that's been sitting about half completed for at least 15 years now. But I'm still threatening to complete it. It's on my bucket list. (My biggest fear is soldering on the rib below the barrel. I've never soldered steel. That and casting the pewter fore end cap.) But one day...

Once I finish that, I'll have some BP rifle building books for sale.

All the best, and good luck.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
OP, start posting your questions and results. A BP section might take off, or it might founder. No way to tell. There is a lot of expertise and interests here.

Black powder and muzzle loading only attracts a few percent of fire arm owners. There are certainly forums specific to those disciplines that are very active. Even so, most of those who use BP or muzzle loaders do so as a way to add another week or two to their hunting seasons. And they mainly choose BP substitutes with inline systems an shotgun primer ignition.

Marlin history goes back to the era of BP cartridges and that comes up not infrequently as a topic, but Marlins were never muzzle loaders, as far as I know.

FWIW, I have a Pecatonica River muzzle loader kit (Ohio rife--cap side lock, half stock with a cast fore end piece) that's been sitting about half completed for at least 15 years now. But I'm still threatening to complete it. It's on my bucket list. (My biggest fear is soldering on the rib below the barrel. I've never soldered steel. That and casting the pewter fore end cap.) But one day...

Once I finish that, I'll have some BP rifle building books for sale.

All the best, and good luck.
Solder the Ram rod pipes on with a high temp solder. Solder the rib to the barrel with a low temp solder.
Poured nose cap is easy. Tightly plug the ramrod hole. Do some under cuts on the stock and some shallow drilled holes. Use heavy brown paper grocery bags as your form. Leave it a little big and clamp to the barrel making sure the breech end of the form is sealed. Heat up your pewter in a ladle and pour into the form. It sets up fast. Get a new sharp fairly coarse file and shape the cap. Smooth it up when you sand the stock

Reactions: HIKayaker
1 - 8 of 8 Posts