Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hunt turkeys, I see deer!!! Was hunting this morning, heard a deer running towards me, from behind. I guess I was camoed ok, she jumped the log I was behind about four feet away from me, closest I've ever been to a live deer, exciting, to say the least!! T Rex

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I had a doe jump right over me a few years back! And it freaked us both out. I was sill hunting in a cedar thicket on a windy day. I had just made another slow move forward, right as a doe stepped out from behind a cedar in front of me. She spooked and took off running to her right, I stood still, but I heard a commotion in the direction she went in, and suddenly two does came running right back at me (I thought there was only one). The one in the front darted around me and the one right behind her kept coming straight at me!

I dropped to the ground just as she leapt up and over me! I didn't know which way to look, thinking there might be more, but I slowly turned to see where they went and there was one of them standing broadside, about 30 yards away. I pretty much yanked up my Marlin 30AS and nailed her, then I hear noise behind me the other way, So I slowly turned that way again.

There about 50 yards away walked a string of does, maybe 4 or 5, followed up by a decent 8 pointer. I had just shot the one deer and it was early in the season, so I let them all walk by, including the buck. I don't know if the one I shot was the one that jumped over me or the one that went around me. Heck, it could have been a totally different deer altogether. That cedar thicket was loaded with them, all looking for a place to get out of the wind. It's a day I'll never forget for sure. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Usually they will just stand around the roost and blow, stomp and carry on for me.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
When my son was about 10 yo, I took him into the woods to look for deer. We went to my favorite hunting spot and sat for a while in a treestand, but nothing...

On the way out, we saw a deer running. She came over the side of the hill, down through a gully and up the other side, right toward us. I mean, she was running full speed directly at us. At about 10 feet away, I grabbed my son by the shoulders and pulled him out of the way, or she would have run right into him. That deer skidded to a stop right where he had been standing, turned, and bounded away. Either or us could have reached out and touched her.

Needless to say, my son was very impressed. He thought I'd saved his life.

Several times in the woods, I've been close enough to touch a live deer. Usually it was right after waking up from a nap...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Haha, yep had a similar thing happen. Fall turkey hunting and a buck with one horn pointing down, a clear cull came within a few yards, looked at my camo'd self as if to say, "animal, vegetable or mineral?", ate some corn spread for the turkeys and walked away. Had a large caliber pistol with me and it WAS deer season - but I had meat in the freezer and it was just cool hanging out with him. Have not seen him since.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Not a deer, but I was in the PA woods in a tree stand one day and just started to drift off to sleep. I woke up suddenly when a grouse flew into my chest....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts