Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annabelle......

I just scolded my son for pointing a toy cap gun at his brother. His reply was, "It's only a toy".

I agreed that it was only a toy, but said he should keep the rules of safe gun handling in mind.

Was I right?

I know, in my youth, I did exactly the thing I told him he shouldn't. That was back in the 50's, when "Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers" were popular games where we did point toy guns at one another....all the time.

Am I a hypocrite?

hogship and son Jem age 10 are awaiting your reply.

thanks

hogship

(Be serious first, then make us laugh!)

·
Registered
670 Posts
GUNS

Dear hogship,
I don't think you're being a hypocrite; things were so different in the
50's than they are now. The availability of firearms and the lack of
gun education and training was not prevalent as it is today. Young kids
can obtain weapons with no problem today, so we do need to stress the dangers and proper handling of weapons today. Just make sure that your sons have the proper information.

By the way, you must keep your guns loaded. You were a "youth" in
the 50's and Jem is 10?? :shock:

ANNABELLE

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Annabelle....

That's what I thought. Jem just got finished reading your post, and I think it helped to drive home the point. thanx

Actually, Jem is my stepson.....but, his 4yr old brother was born just 4 days after my 50th birthday!

Yep, the ol' box of cartridges may have been in the gun cabinet for a long while, but I'm not firing blanks....yet. Ha!

hogship

·
Premium Member
16,244 Posts
Toys are toys. Gun are guns. Big difference. Let him have fun as a child. teach him gun safety about real guns when the time comes/he's ready.

And remember. he's only going to have one childhood. let him enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I probably did the same thing as a kid, but it's never too early to learn safe gun handling.

I really got into some deep doo doo (well deserved) when my parents found out why my little brother had a sore in the corner of his mouth. It was where I had accidently shot him with my BB gun. I honestly didn't think it was loaded! But I'll never forget it. He was slumped on the couch and I was just horsing around (wrong thing to do with any gun!), and I pulled the trigger as it was being waved at his face. Thank the Lord it was just a BB gun. I might have been 12 or so, which would have made him about 10.

I get the toy thing, really I do, but real safety is in between your ears, it's a mindset. Start young and teach others to get their mind right.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I had several toy guns and played with them a great deal. Never did me any harm, Oh right. Bad example. Back on subject, I say never too young to learn not to point guns at anything you dont want to destroy. Especially if the child is in a gun friendly environment. I always had one around, and felt my kids should learn about safety as early as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Play with a toy like it's a toy because it's a toy. Toy guns where a staple of my childhood. I started banging on 22 rifles when I was six years old. I carried a pellet rifle everywhere I went when I was eight or nine all the way into my teens. I was taught well to differentiate between the toy and a real projectile firing gun and treat a gun with the highest levels of respect. Always be mindful around a firearm, and be mindful of what is down range. If I had ever treated a real gun or air rifle like a toy or pointed it at anyone, or anything not deserving like animals not intended for food or any property not to be shot at I would of had my hide torn into to the likes of which I'd still feel to this day. I understand things are different these days, but let a kid play with toys as toys. It's better than mindlessly staring at screens.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Annabelle......

I just scolded my son for pointing a toy cap gun at his brother. His reply was, "It's only a toy".

I agreed that it was only a toy, but said he should keep the rules of safe gun handling in mind.

Was I right?

I know, in my youth, I did exactly the thing I told him he shouldn't. That was back in the 50's, when "Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers" were popular games where we did point toy guns at one another....all the time.

Am I a hypocrite?

hogship and son Jem age 10 are awaiting your reply.

thanks

hogship

(Be serious first, then make us laugh!)
Kids playing with toy guns, should be allowed to be kids playing with toy guns.

As they get older and graduate to real guns the distinction must be taught, along with the safety rules.

Kids must be supervised, when first handling real firearms. My first hunts without an adult we were allowed one firearm between us, and had to stay together. Safety was drummed into us.

I don't think you're a hypocrite, I think your over thinking it, for kids.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
And here comes the 100 year old threads because we have a awesome new format!

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Toys are toys. Gun are guns. Big difference. Let him have fun as a child. teach him gun safety about real guns when the time comes/he's ready.

And remember. he's only going to have one childhood. let him enjoy it.
Bingo!
Andrew

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Sorry, it popped up. Didn't look at the date of the first post... too used to the old format!
Wasn't complaining about you. The new format will do this until everyone gets it figured out

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
OP from 2004. That would explain it.

I was wondering where you found a "toy" gun these days...

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The all time best teaching tool for kid & shooting is a watermelon, put one out about 25 yds & hit it with something hot, when it blows all & shoot them, that red meat is very eye opening up say that is what your friends will look like if you play with guns!!!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Old post but this was just brought it at my House a few days ago. Granddaughter and Grandson were playing with my old toy 03 Springfield. Just makes a click when you pull the trigger. I have no problem with it being used to kill off Grandpa. They will learn the difference between a toy and a real One. I already and instilling that in them now at 4 and 5.

When I was a kid, what fun would it have been to play Cowboys and Indians, or GI Joe without being able to take someone out. Not much I guess.

Heck we used to put on heavy coats and have BB Gun fights with the old Daisy Red Ryders. No one was ever killed and we had a lot of fun. I turned out alright after all that, I think.

·
Registered
837 Posts
He's your son. Do what your heart tells you to do as a parent. Pardon me, but this is not a parenting skills group. That said, many of us grew up playing 'cowboys and indians' pointing guns at each other and, some that had caps in them that went 'bang' when you pulled the trigger. Very few have grown up to be murderers. It could be argued that those that did grow up doing that have even a better appreciation for gun safety. We also watched Bugs Bunny pummel Paul Puma with a mallet but I don't recall a multitude of outbreaks of death by mallet pummeling in the news. Again, do what your heart tells you to do. As a reasonably level headed human being and over the course of the child's young years you'll probably do the right thing. Or you may end up raising a serial killer. Just kidding... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts