Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coworker has an old 1950s marlin in .35 rem he has no idea what model but says it was his grandfathers and he only used it once
Its in perfect condition.......so he says
So i've been drilling him to sell it
what should I offer him?

He says he thinks its in the original box

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Tough call. I'd probably start with 175 to leave myself a little room for his counter offer or to come up a little if he balks. How far to go? Also a tough call. 275 maybe - if it's in excellent condition w/ box. SW

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
As Hogger said tough call. You really need more info. Can he bring it to you and let you have a look at it? You would want to inspect it beforeyou buy it any way.

SS

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I sold a really nice 336A .35 from 1950 for $350 not long ago. Bought another 1955 for $250 recently. I'd go with Hogger, and offer $175, but be prepared to go to $300 if it's like new, and only fired once, as described.

·
Registered
520 Posts
adk big buck said:
My coworker has an old 1950s marlin in .35 rem he has no idea what model but says it was his grandfathers and he only used it once
Its in perfect condition.......so he says
So i've been drilling him to sell it
what should I offer him?

He says he thinks its in the original box
Well he is a 'co-worker' and since I doubt you're gonna change jobs anytime soon....you have a moral dilema!

Here is how I'd handle it:

Bob, Christmas is just around the corner so I'm putting money away for family gifts. I'm only guessing but your rifle with box and paper's you'd probably be able to sell for 'fair' market value $300-$400, maybe a bit more if you want to take the time to try and find a buyer at $400...

I'd sure like to buy it but I can not go the $400 but I can offer $325-$350.

Now let him make the decision....

You'll learn something about your co-work.

If he's gun smart he maybe greedy and want top dollar...and if so let him put in the time to find the top-dollar buyer, by the times he's done doing the leg work he'll have more time in it than the few exta buck he wants...greed.

If he's not very knowledgable and you ask him for a selling price and it's below a fair market value and you bought it...and he finds out later it was truly worth $50-$100 more then he'll think you took advantage of him....and you will have.

Pretend you are him and determine how you would want to be treated in this matter.

Somewhat of a final fact to consider: when will BE the NEXT time you'll find another one like this one....YOU CAN NOT IMAGINE HOW MANY TIMES OVER THE LAST 30+ YEARS I'VE KICKED MY OWN AZZ BECAUSE I LET $25-$100 GET IN THE WAY OF AN OUTSTANDING DEAL....grrrrrrrr...

I once passed up a MINT Belgium Browing 9mm with Artlillery sights for 25-LOUSY BUCKS......I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES OVER THIS...

You're in a tricky situation good or bad word will get around at work about how you handle this.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
ABB,

two weeks ago I purchased a 1957 336RC in 35 Rem in 90% condition for $219 and this came with a scope, sling and cartridge holder on the stock. Eventhough it may have only been used once you have to consider how it was stored, rust, pitting etc. I agree that I would start at $175 and maybe go up to $225 if the gun is in really good shape.

Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could always let the price be set by a third party. Have him take the rifle to a local gun shop, or two, to see what they will give him for it. Tell him you'll match their offer plus $10.

·
Registered
479 Posts
wuchak said:
You could always let the price be set by a third party. Have him take the rifle to a local gun shop, or two, to see what they will give him for it. Tell him you'll match their offer plus $10.
Knowing how gun shops like to make it on both ends, I would offer $50 more than the gun shop and look like a hero and still get a great deal.
Ranger

·
Registered
520 Posts
wuchak said:

Take it to a gun shop.....:lol: :cry: :lol: : :cry: ....no way!

In my response I mentioned FAIR MARKET value and no gun shop will pay fair market value...PERIOD!

Remember the author of this posting is working with his co-worker, a delicate situation here...if he undermines this by being a bottom-feeder word will get around and he's done for anymore great deals. If author is perceived as a sqaure shooter...he'll not have enuff money to buy all the good deals coming his way.

Sounds like to me author of this posting is looking a rare find rigtht smack dab in the eye: you have any idea how hard if not impossible it is to find an older Marlin in new condition WITH ORIGINAL BOX......NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE.
Some people are willing to pay DECENT money for just a box of this vintage...

Here is a challange: go out an buy an excellent to mint condition original BOX for a Winchester M-12 or a Colt SAA....for $10 from a knowledgable gun collector or gun dealer........hehheeeee... good luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts