Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2 scopes , 2x7 prostaff nikoplex, and a 2x7 prostaff shotgun bdc. Rifles are a 1895GG/ 45/70, and a 336w in 30/30.I have the 2x7 nikoplex on the 45/70, no problems. I recieved the 2x7 SG by mistake, I know i don't need the BDC , But i like it. What scopes would you put on what rifles and why. Thank's:hmmmm:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
welcome. Flip a coin!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Papabear, Thanks . that was what i was thinking. I was just wondering if the shotgun scope was more durable . I'll just put the bdc sg on the 30/30.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Honestly, I would sell them, and put the money toward something better. I have personally witnessed 3 Nikon prostaff scopes go belly up, one on a 30-06, the rest on 308 Winchesters.

1 on a 308 refuses to hold zero, another on a different 308 lost zero all of a sudden, and for whatever reason no longer had enough adjustment to re-zero, to continue the hunt he zeroed it 3 inches high at 75 yards because he ran out of down adjustment. The third, on the 30-06, had something go wrong inside and shifts zero with magnification adjustment, effectively making it a fixed 12 power.

That's 3 for 3, thank God none of them were mine. I've heard several people swear by them, and 3 that swear at them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear pros and cons about other makes, I switched from leopuld scopes 14 yrs ago to nikons and maybe i'm lucky, but never have had a problem, 45/70, 3006, 300 wtby.Only scpoe i have had go bad was the redfield i had on the 336w. I mostly use the bukmaster or the prostaffs. Thank's for your reply.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I would do the 2x7 pro staff nikoplex on the 30-30 and the 2x7 pro staff shotgun on the 45/70 but that's just me I really don't think you could go wrong either way their the same scope just different reticles!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
One thing that you may be forgetting and it really does not make much difference is the shotgun scope is parallax for 75yrds and the nikoplex is parallax at 150yrds if they are like most makers I could be wrong you may want to check it out if it matters. I would use the bdc on the one that matches the bullet drop with the reticule the closes. Widow

Reactions: graymustang

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I have 2 -2x7 Nikon scopes one on 45-70 the other on a 35 Rem. Never had a problem with either one. I've since changed the scope on the 35 Rem. To a straight 2.5 power scope. Only because I wanted a low power on my 35 Rem. If you can change the scopes your self try them on each rifle and see which one works best on each rifle. Plus it will give you range time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing that you may be forgetting and it really does not make much difference is the shotgun scope is parallax for 75yrds and the nikoplex is parallax at 150yrds if they are like most makers I could be wrong you may want to check it out if it matters. I would use the bdc on the one that matches the bullet drop the reticule the closes. Widow
That would be on the 45/70with 300 -405 grn bullet.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I put one of those "BDC" scopes on my 22LR Squirrel gun. Liked it so much I put one on the 308. Wasn't much for those circles at first, but then I found I could keep a target inside a circle better than crosshairs on it. And being able to go on line and match the "drop" of the ammo I'm using with those circles is really cool.
Thought I'd put the Redfield on the 336XLR.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank's for the info. I put the SG on the 45/70GG and the nikoplex on the 30/30. I'm getting to like smaller scopes on some of my carbine rifles.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Personally I would think about the shotgun scope on the 45-70 due to longer eye relief. Might not be an issue but a 45-70 might have more of a chance to bite you with less eye relief.

DEP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts