Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am wanting to put my 3-9X50 redfield on my 308MXLR anyone know how tall of mounts im going to need for the 50mm end to clear the barrel. Also where can i find a stainless rear sight dovetail plug?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Using the steel Leupold base and rings you will need their "HIGH" rings. I personally think you're going a bit overboard for basically a 308 Winnie cartridge. Most lever Marlinites and I don't go much over 2-7x's (on my 336's) and I think a simple 4x ( on my 1895) works just fine for all max ranges and with a fixed power you'll never get caught having a short shot opportunity when your variable is set at 9x and only be able to see fur! But, do what you think you will like to have that fits your needs.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Using the steel Leupold base and rings you will need their "HIGH" rings. I personally think you're going a bit overboard for basically a 308 Winnie cartridge. Most lever Marlinites and I don't go much over 2-7x's (on my 336's) and I think a simple 4x ( on my 1895) works just fine for all max ranges and with a fixed power you'll never get caught having a short shot opportunity when your variable is set at 9x and only be able to see fur! But, do what you think you will like to have that fits your needs.
I agree burk.... a bit over the top.

·
Super Moderator
17,246 Posts
I have a Weaver base, Burris medium signature rings, and a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 scope on my 308MX and shoot it out to 400 yds. with no trouble at all.

The medium rings are just to get the bell of the scope above the rear iron sight. I really want to get the scope lower so I'm thinking about removing the rear iron sight and getting low mounts.

Unless your hunting or shooting in very, very low light, the 50mm is overkill and puts the center line of your scope too high above the center line of your barrel for super accurate shooting. IMHO...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Weaver base, Burris medium signature rings, and a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 scope on my 308MX and shoot it out to 400 yds. with no trouble at all.

The medium rings are just to get the bell of the scope above the rear iron sight. I really want to get the scope lower so I'm thinking about removing the rear iron sight and getting low mounts.

Unless your hunting or shooting in very, very low light, the 50mm is overkill and puts the center line of your scope too high above the center line of your barrel for super accurate shooting. IMHO...
I know 50mm is a little much but that is what i have in my safe not mounted on anything at the moment. I'm thinking if i take out the rear sight i might be able to go with the same set up you have know.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I think anything over 40 is to much for a 338mxlr IMO.
I actually opted out of a 40 for my 338MXLR. I was torn between a Leopold vx-3 2.5-8x36 or the 40 vx-3. I'm glad I went with the 36 it's perfect balance with low power for those close up shots and plenty of magnification for those long 300+ yard shots.
uploadfromtaptalk1406043353444.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,246 Posts
I know 50mm is a little much but that is what i have in my safe not mounted on anything at the moment. I'm thinking if i take out the rear sight i might be able to go with the same set up you have know.
Gotcha... Then medium rings should do ya...If you already have it, then use it... Good shooting...

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might want to think about a quick change base and rings. I have a 308ME and have a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 and a Leupold 1-4x20 HOG scope for it. I can easily switch scopes depending on conditions.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What XMAN said. The VX3 2.5-8x36 is an awesome scope and I use the med DNZ one piece mount on my 308 MXLR.

Reactions: ajxj99

·
Registered
53 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406093334.369275.jpg

The vx3 3.5-10x40 works well with the dnz scope mount as well. Although some people think it's a bit too much magnification. I think it's fine for a flat shooting long range rifle like the 338mxlr :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts