Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased a Marlin Xt22 it come with a scope fitted I assume standard from the factory. Was talking to a friend who also has an xt 22 he suggested that I get a new scope. What scope would you guys recommend for an xt22. Gun will be used at the range and for vermin hunting.

Thanks

Clarky

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Nikon P22 2 -7 x 32 is a great all round scope. You can get it standard duplex or BDC. I like the 2x for carry in the woods and can dial it up for longer shots or when shooting paper.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
He suggested you get a new scope ? What`s his reasoning?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He suggested you get a new scope ? What`s his reasoning?
He advised that the scope that come with the rifle as standard was not great, he said he ended up removing his after a few weeks. He said for a bit extra I could have gotten a better scope as I plan to keep this rifle. I didn't have any scopes on my guns when I was a kid, so it's all new to me. He said he wanted to save the hassles that he had with the standard scope.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
While the Marlin Scope is not to be considered a high end scope, I'd go shoot that scope first, before you spend money on another scope.......

That scope (is it the 3-9x?) is made in Asia, but so are many other scopes, and its made in one of the same factories as other more recognised names..........

Sure, the scope isn't a Kahles or a Stiener, but for use on a 22Rimfire, I think you find it to be all you need.

Don't try to fix something that isn't broke.

But "IF" you are referring to the little 4x20 3/4" tube scope, then yes,...change out the scope

Tom

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Most of my rimfires sport a Simmons 22Mag 3-9x32 rimfire scope, and for the price it is an excellent rimfire scope. Very affordable.

Reactions: javjacob

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I have a Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire scope I purchased for $114 on Amazon.11mm med rings were around $10 extra.Put it on my Marlin 25n,which is a similar rifle to yours.Works very well.Or you can get a Simmons 3-9x32 mag scope.Works well too_Only $40 and comes with rings and lifetime warranty.Got one on my 10 22 takedown and it works well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't give me the brand of the scope or where its made, but its a 3-9x40, I will test the scope out this week at the range, as you guys have stated ill see how it goes before spending more money on the scope. As it will only be used for range work and vermin hunting, could be all I need.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Don't discount the BSA Sweet 22 scopes - my 3-9x40AO is a great scope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update thanks for the responses, I took the Marlin to the range last night the scope is fine for my needs while it's not the best scope around it seemed to do the job for my needs. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have found the right rings and a good cheek weld are just as important as clear optics. The factory scope should have been setup for the stock riser and provide a solid cheek weld. If not then get a new setup. I have a XT22TSR , using MArlin 900 weaver rails, Leupold medium height rings and an inexpensive Barska 3-9X42. The cheek weld is critical to shooting past 50 yards , at least it is for an old fart like me.

P8070001.JPG This is my XT - made my own buttstock cover , also showing the free 525 brick of 22lr I got from Marlin, and my 22 ammo pouch

P8070002.JPG Close up of the mounting. The medium rings were as low as I could go.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I mounted a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40. I used some hefty weaver rings with #12 bases. I have no complaints.

The Monte Carlo stock needs a comb raiser for comfortable shooting. I use a Bear-tooth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts