Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put a scope on my 336, .35 and have been thinking about the Leupold 2-7x33mm. The VX-1 series scope has ¼ MOA adjustment and the Rifleman series scope has ½ MOA adjustments. Both scopes are parallax set at 75 yards. I would like the heavy duplex reticle. The costs of these scopes are pretty close. Any thoughts?

I do have a Leupold VX-1, 1-4 with the heavy duplex reticle on my shotgun. I kind of like the heavy duty crosshairs. It makes it easy for my old (middle aged) eyes to pick up the target quicker.

With the new Hornady ammo, maybe will have the opportunity for longer shots, 150-200 yards or so. Maybe I should go to the 3x9 power, but thought the scope might appear too big on the rifle, with a 40mm objective.

Your opinions would be appreciated. What do you guys have for scopes on your 336’s? and why?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scope for a 35.

I just got a Bushnell Legend for my 35. 2X7X32. That magnification IMHO is just about perfect for that cal. Look at Burris as they are comming out with a a 2X7X35 i think. Their Short Mags are great scopes as are the Nikon Monarch UCC.

R/Eric

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Clearly you answered your own question. Both scopes are good and you have a preference for one of them. Mount as close to the barrel as possible so the close in shots won't get buggered as bad. Other than possibly QR rings so it is easy to take off and put back on for fog etc. your all set.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
What Sure-shot said. Both the Leupolds will serve you well. I have the Rifleman 2-7X33 on a 30-30 levergun. It rode on my 35 Rem for awhile. These are trim scopes that do not overwhelm the looks or handling of the Marlins. I've found the 1/2 clicks to be adequate for sight adjustment on my leverguns. I doubt a more powerful scope would be worth the cost in $$, weight, size, and handling characteristics on a levergun.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have to agree with Sure Shot and Wyostllhunter either one of those scopes would be fine. I have the 2-7 Leupold VX-1 on my 336D and it seems just about perfect although the 3-9 would not be a bad choice either.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hunt in Alabama mostly. For my .35 I chose the Burris 2.75X Scout scope mounted on a XS Scout system base. Long eye relief, extremely fast acquisition, great tracking, and works well for heavily wooded areas as well as open shots up to 100-150 yds.

·
Registered
860 Posts
.35 scopes

I just mounted a new Weaver "Classic" 2.5x low on a 336 and love it. All my 336's had receiver sights, but this scope is awesome. 200 yard shots should be quite do-able with a .35, a 2.5x and the new leverevolution ammo. The 2-7x Leupolds ARE nice, though, and the extra power would be helpful for range sessions. Leupold also makes a great 2.5x that is small and crystal-clear. Just don't get caught up in the high-power mode for a caliber that really doesn't need it. I had a Burris compact 4x on my M16A2 in Iraq and never felt I needed more power (the Burris scope was superb, by the way). Regards, Bob (OIF2)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
All good suggestions, though I would shy away from the larger 3 x9 in any brand. 1-4, 2-7 is plenty for any shot the .35 is capable of. Any higher, you just add extra mag and weight you, most likely will never use.

SS

·
Registered
594 Posts
Another excellent little scope is the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32. It can be bought for under $130. Perfect size for a lever gun.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Has anyone used the Holo type sight? I bought one at Midway for $50.00.
It is a BSA I was going to use it on my .22 pistol but I thought it would be nice on my 336 LTD. Sure is lite and the lumminated crosshair is easy to see. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
For shooting would be great if it holds up, however, you may want to check the hunting regulations to see if there are any restrictions on illuminated sights.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have 2 of the 2x7 leupolds and am paying on a 3rd. One is on a 30-30 and the other is on a 444P. The 3rd one is going on my 336-44. Great scopes. The size is right for a marlin. :D Rick

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I have a 3-9x40 Leupold on mine. I don't think that it overwhelms the looks of the rifle and my eyes appreciate the help on the range. I dial it way down in the field.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Leupold 2.5 x 20mm Compact on my 336/35Rem. Had some pics posted a few months back. Works great! Use both eyes for target aquisition, can go to one after finding the target if I want. If you close one eye before finding the target with the small 20mm you will never find the target. Works great with both eyes!!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I've got a Burris 4X pistol scope in a Scout Mount on my 35 Rem, and I love it. Small, lightweight, and yet sturdy. I doubt I'd ever attempt a shot at an animal much past 100 yards, but it's fun to plink with at any range. VERY fast to acquire targets with, I think it's found a permanent home!

Papajohn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts