Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go out there and buy a bunch of ammunition. I was wondering what rounds are you guys shooting in your X7VH .308? I didn't know where to start and figured asked you guys would give me a good idea.

Thanks

SJ

PS I thought about trying some of these uploadfromtaptalk1411065062944.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411065071708.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411065078781.jpg

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I don't own an X7VH, but suggest you buy a box or two of several brands and weights and compare them to see what your rifle likes/groups best with. Having done this many times in the past with my rifles, I've found it can vary from rifle to rifle, and sometimes by quite a bit. It's infomative and fun to do anyway, and then you'll know better where to put your ammunition money in the future...
Good luck to you, and have fun!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yep, Where to start is with shooting.
There isn't THE right ammo, or there would only be one choice. Like asking "What a woman likes", they are all a bit different.

In three different rifles I've had terrible results with Fusion ammo, a shooting partner swears by it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good advice above. And as you go further, you might consider learning to reload your own ammo. It's fun and relaxing, and you can better tailor the ammo for your rifle. A word of caution. It can become addictive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice above. And as you go further, you might consider learning to reload your own ammo. It's fun and relaxing, and you can better tailor the ammo for your rifle. A word of caution. It can become addictive.
Don't have the money but do have hand loads made by a friend

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't limit your choices to what WalMart or the LGS has on the shelves. Look online you will have a lot more choices. Haven't had good luck with that Fusion in 308 or 270. Previ 150gr SP shoots really shoots well in every 308 I've ever tried it in. Save your empties so you can reload them later.

Robert

·
Registered
981 Posts
my 308 and others I've seen tend to favor the mid weight bullets, so stick to the 150-165gr range.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If yer feedin it store bought, then any ole crap will do.

Bring a caliber in with you and measure any of the OALs, you will find such massive differences, being consistant just isnt in your furture

·
Registered
981 Posts
he's saying to bring a CALIPER, to measure the OAL of the load rounds.

If my handloads are of any help, try the Hornady Custom ammo or the new "American" line they have. I've always had good luck with Hornady bullets.

If money isn't an object, try the Nosler Custom ammo or Norma if available. Both of those tend to be VERY accurate

·
Registered
670 Posts
I hunted with a 308 30 years ago and used the 150 grain Rem cor lokts. I got great results and they shot really well. I have heard that they cheapened the cor lokts down and the bullet isn't what it once was. I don't know about that but my buddy that bought the rifle from me still has it and hasn't changed the ammo choice.
I hand load my ammo now and use Hornady interlocks and they haven't disappointed. Also I shot several deer with Winchester Power points and the deer died, I do believe they don't expand rapidly though because the deer ran farther than normal and the recovered slug I found in one wasn't has expanded has much has the cor lokts Ive found over the years from quartering shots.
You do have the advantage in that the 308 is traveling at a speed 2700-2800 fps that's very kind to cup and core bullets.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What?!?!?!
The NATO adopted the 7.62 in 1950, the 308 was blessed by SAAMI in 1952. There are A LOT of rifles chambered for it, and A LOT of different reamers, and chamber variations. Factory box ammo is designed to properly, and safely fire in ALL of them. That typically means that the ammo is built to a minimum spec, and therefore usually has a rather large jump to the lands, and a lot of case expansion after firing.
Those reasons are why so many people get upset about "Claimed" performance, versus actual results. A large jump of the bullet will allow a significant portion of the gas to escape around the bullet, prior to engraving into the rifling. This will give you much lower velocities than the box claims. It also give the bullet a chance to be tilted off-axis with the bore, decreasing accuracy.

A few boxes of shooting per year, and yes; reloading is expensive, at least to pay-off the equipment. If you actually shoot any amount, then you don't buy components by the 50-100 count; and reloading is very attractively priced. However, reloaders don't typically reload to save money. We reload to be able to tune loads to our individual rifles, or shoot the components that we want that are not found commercially.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The NATO adopted the 7.62 in 1950, the 308 was blessed by SAAMI in 1952. There are A LOT of rifles chambered for it, and A LOT of different reamers, and chamber variations. Factory box ammo is designed to properly, and safely fire in ALL of them. That typically means that the ammo is built to a minimum spec, and therefore usually has a rather large jump to the lands, and a lot of case expansion after firing.
Those reasons are why so many people get upset about "Claimed" performance, versus actual results. A large jump of the bullet will allow a significant portion of the gas to escape around the bullet, prior to engraving into the rifling. This will give you much lower velocities than the box claims. It also give the bullet a chance to be tilted off-axis with the bore, decreasing accuracy.

A few boxes of shooting per year, and yes; reloading is expensive, at least to pay-off the equipment. If you actually shoot any amount, then you don't buy components by the 50-100 count; and reloading is very attractively priced. However, reloaders don't typically reload to save money. We reload to be able to tune loads to our individual rifles, or shoot the components that we want that are not found commercially.
Thanks for taking the time to right this. I learned something today

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Hand loads are the way to go. I picked up some Fed Fusion bullet pulls for my 25-06.
I load them to do 2950fps. < 1" at 100 yds. Incredible bullet. Flat shooter. Devistating on white tail.

I take nuisance deer at a farm and my second deer tag this summer was for a doe I hit just up from the base of the neck. I could put my fist in the exit hole.

Another bullet is the Hornady Vmax- polymer nose. A great hand load that does 3450fps. ONE MEAN BULLET.

You'll have to have your buddy make you some up with slight variations on the powder charge to find the right one to match the harmonics for your barrel.
THEN, you'll never by store-bought again! :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts