Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What RD molds would you like to see available ???????

10K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  ironbrew 
#1 ·
I have been away for a good time and having found out that RD is designing and bringing molds out again, was just wondering what the may be in store for the future.

I would like to see a mid weight (375-425gr) 45/70.
and maybe a heavy 45lc (300-350gr)
and maybe a .357 in the (175-190gr)

I'm sure something like this has already been done but I wasn't lucky enough to be around when they were.

What molds would you like to see, list em up!

#6 ·
Personally I hope RD does a .357 plain base for lever guns that is slightly lighter than the current 359-190. I see no need for the heavier 190 in the 357 for most shooting, and would like to do away with the gas check for the 357. If it was done around 165-175 grains and could double for a heavy 38 special bullet for snubnose 38's, it would be all the better. I use his semi-auto pistol bullets now, but sometimes carry a 38 snubbie, and the 190's don't really fit well for the application. JMO, Billy

#7 ·
And BTW, I am tickled pink about him reopening as there are about 8 molds of his I have in 2 cavity versions that I am looking forward to getting 6 cavity versions of. Can't wait. I also hope RD can squeeze in a run of the 225-57 bullet shown in his project bullet file. I'm sure that will be way down on the list, but I can always hope! Working with the 225-50 right now and am having good results, but would like the heaver one as well as I have some 12" twist guns I think it would be great in.

#10 ·
I missed out on the 323-170 and the 379-235 molds.I would also like some of the others just because they are in a six cavity mold.I have the 339-200 group buy mold and boy does it put out the bullets in a hurry.I am glad to see RD coming back.I think his products fill a niche in the hunting and shooting sports that is usually ignored by the industry.

#11 ·
While we're wishing, maybe a nice 220-225 gr .359 (.360?) as a heavyweight for the .35 Rem, .356 and .358 Win? With that famous RD nose, it would really lay a smackin' on 'em.

#17 ·
Ranch Dog I have a question for you. I am very inexperienced with regard to bullet molds and casting in gerneral. My question is this: I plan on doing most of my shooting with 45lc and 45/70 rifles. I haven't hunted for years since leaving Montana but may get back into it, I do shoot a lot though. I would like to have one mold for each rifle, figuring if I shoot the same bullet all the time I will become better acustomed to it. So, What molds would you recommend. The way I see it you are the master and I have great respectfor your opinion.
Thanks
dogg

#18 ·
dogg said:
Ranch Dog I have a question for you. I am very inexperienced with regard to bullet molds and casting in gerneral. My question is this: I plan on doing most of my shooting with 45lc and 45/70 rifles. I haven't hunted for years since leaving Montana but may get back into it, I do shoot a lot though. I would like to have one mold for each rifle, figuring if I shoot the same bullet all the time I will become better acustomed to it. So, What molds would you recommend. The way I see it you are the master and I have great respectfor your opinion.
Thanks
dogg
This is a tough time of the year for me as I run short on "forum" time but here I am.

To answer your question dogg, my recommendations for the 45-70 Govt is based on if you are hunting open country or timber. For open country where your shots are beyond 75-yards, the TLC460-350-RF. For dark timber country, the TLC460-425-RF. What I would suggest is that you setup your 1895 with the 350-grain bullet sighted in with a low power scope, 4X, at 100-yards (funny how 4X is low power nowadays), and use the 45 Colt for the heavy, dark timber stuff.

For your 1894, I will be introducing a new bullet, the TLC454-290-RF. It is simply my original 45 Colt bullet gas checked for so that you can push it to the same pressures that 1894s chambered in 41 and 44 Mag are using (42.0KPSI NMP and 48.0KPSI Pmax).

#19 ·
I take each of your recommendations seriously but first I need to make all my bullets available and that would include my semi-auto pistol bullets. I have a bunch of time and money in all of these so they need to pay for themselves ;)

I see I need to reform a lot of thinking about bullets and bullet designs. What has made my bullets successful is that I have never started by dictating bullet weight. This is naturally what a shooter or hunter thinks of but this simply compromises design. What I have done from the start, save two expectations, is start with the given that a cast bullet will shoot best if it is filling the throat, leade, and step with lead. Considering that the bullet nose, that portion of the bullet filling the throat, leade, and step is fixed, the only thing left to adjust is the body. If you look at any of my drawings, you will notice a blue vertical line which represents the center of lift and a circlex reticle representing the center of gravity. Bullet body length is used to pull these together. If these to references are out of whack, the bullet will be a failure.

Let's use a 432-225 as an example in the 44 or 444. I know the bullet nose is fixed as it must fill the throat, leade, and step; so that portion of bullet weight is fixed. If I add bullet body to equal the target of 225-grains, the CG and CL are going to be quite a ways from each other. The bullet will be nose heavy and unstable. In that we have fixed bullet weight, 225-grains, the only place left to make the adjustment is to cut back on the nose. It will be shorter and the bullet is now jumping to the lands. Combustion gases will get ahead of the bullet because of the void in the throat, step, and lead; and this results in the etching or erosion that is known as leading.

The two bullets that I mentioned as exceptions, I ignored my rules and it resulted in $$$ spent in failure. Sticking with these design knowns results in fewer problems for me coming back from the customers. It takes about $1K and a year of time to get a bullet designed, tested and satisfy me and $6K to put it in my shopping cart so I must be very careful that it will shoot right. I think I will end up with about 25 bullets designs that I eventually offer so you can do the math. I must be very careful to make sure that each is a success.

#20 ·
Thanks Ranch Dog for the recommendations. I will set my 1895ltd IV for the tlc350, and my soon to be ABL for the tlc420. And I definetly want the 290gr gas check for my 45 colt rifles and my casull. Can't wait to get these molds. Thanks Dogg

#21 ·
dogg said:
I have been away for a good time and having found out that RD is designing and bringing molds out again, was just wondering what the may be in store for the future.

I would like to see a mid weight (375-425gr) 45/70.
and maybe a heavy 45lc (300-350gr)
and maybe a .357 in the (175-190gr)

I'm sure something like this has already been done but I wasn't lucky enough to be around when they were.

What molds would you like to see, list em up!
Dolly Parton ;D

#22 ·
Michael, thanks for the explanation and lesson in bullet design. It certainly leads one to an understanding of why your bullets shoot so well.

#23 ·
The 357 Mag is one that I need to explore, I don't have a clue as to what the weight will be until have the Marlin rifles have been rounded up, chamber casts been made and the dimensions have been sent through the design software. My design philosophy is to provide cast bullets that perform as well or better than jacketed bullets. The only way to do this at 42.0K PSI is with a gas check so that is what can be expected. There is already an endless list of plain base bullets that supply the needs of the 357 Mag.

#25 ·
Ranch Dog said:
This is a tough time of the year for me as I run short on "forum" time but here I am.

To answer your question dogg, my recommendations for the 45-70 Govt is based on if you are hunting open country or timber. For open country where your shots are beyond 75-yards, the TLC460-350-RF. For dark timber country, the TLC460-425-RF. What I would suggest is that you setup your 1895 with the 350-grain bullet sighted in with a low power scope, 4X, at 100-yards (funny how 4X is low power nowadays), and use the 45 Colt for the heavy, dark timber stuff.

For your 1894, I will be introducing a new bullet, the TLC454-290-RF. It is simply my original 45 Colt bullet gas checked for so that you can push it to the same pressures that 1894s chambered in 41 and 44 Mag are using (42.0KPSI NMP and 48.0KPSI Pmax).

RD, will you be making something like the TLC454-290-RF in 460 diameter? I would like to get a 300 grain bullet for my 450 Marlin. Do you think something like that would work good in 450 Marlin? The two reasons why I want something like that is to save lead and reduce recoil. The game I might hunt around here is small. I use a 444 with a 265 grain for hunting, and it has been very successful. All the deer I have shot have been under 20 yards in heavy brush, but it would be nice it hit a target accurately @ 150-200 yards with a scope on my 450.

#26 ·
Hello Michael,

I am glad to read that you've decided to work on a 357 bullet. Need any particulars before starting that work? My 357 CB has a very short throat so the 180 gr. cast bullets I shoot have to be seated deeply. Although I have never done one, I would be happy to provide a chamber cast for you, along with sample dummy cartridges and bullets to examine. Maybe you could borrow my rifle for bullet development.

Other 357 CB owners can shoot an overall length much longer than mine so there must be a wide variation in these chambers. Good luck getting it right whenever your work starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.