Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have IMR 4064 and was wondering if I should try a different powder being I didn't get good results with the 4064 under 165gr. SST's. I have been looking at IMR 4895, H4895, Reloader 15, and Barnes recommends Varget. What is you thoughts. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
The powder may well be perfect. Before giving up on the powder, adjust your seating depth in .030" or .040" increments (I use .040" increments). I start with a powder charge about 2% below listed max (you should make sure that's safe) and load 6 bullets at max magazine length or .010" off the lands. Most magazines won't let you get close to the lands so I usually start at max mag length. Load 6 more seated deeper into the case and 6 more seated deeper still. I usually get 3 incriments (strings) before the bullet is as deep into the case as it will go but if you want to go single shot or your magazine is long enough, you can start seating them further out and you can test more increments (strings) before you must stop. 3 or 4 minutes between shots and 15 to 20 minutes between strings so a hot barrel doesn't skew the test results. One group will almost always be noticeably more accurate than the others. I find this to be particulary true when shooting monolithic bullets such as Barnes.

When choosing a new bullet, I always do this early in the load development process. This will give you an idea where the bullet "roughly" likes to be seated. I do this before working up powder charges for accuracy and later fine tune the seating depth.

Note: Seating close to the lands may cause unsafe pressure spikes so if you intend to seat them "way out there" find a "maximum charge weight" by working your way up from low to high, at the furthest (longest) seating depth you intend to use and check for signs of pressure.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
According to some old notes scribbled in the Barnes manual, used to load the 130gr XBT with 49 grs of AA 2520, and the old 130 XLC with 54gr 2520. Be forwarned, as the manual says, these X bullets are designed to shed their pedals at impact speeds above 2800 fps, and on light game they very often do, leaving a .30 hole in, and a .30 hole out, and a rough tracking job in between. The bullet does plenty of damage to the hear lung area, as the petals tear off. And they don't always, but I bring this up, in case it happens to you. Barnes designs it this way, cuz if shooting a heavy animal say a bear thru the shoulders, they want the petals off so the slug by itself can penetrate deep. Close range hits where the speed is still well above 2800, the deer is likely to take off on a run, with little to no blood trail, you may think you missed, it will be dead, off in brush somewhere close by, just keep looking. Bullet works great on deer, once the speed drops off, shot a few at 400 and 500 yds, perfect performance.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I know that IMR4064 is the preferred by many who shoot bench rest with 150 gn bullets. Might be it would do well with the 130 also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use Imr 4064 with Barnes and Nosler bullets in my 308 with great results. I agree with Mike 338 that you may need to tweak and play with your loads a little more. You may try the Varget I have heard nothing but good reviews about it in 308 loads.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Here's the Load Data Recommended By Barne's Straight From Their Web Site:
Bullet Weight: 130 gr Case Trim Length: 2.005" S.D. 0.196
Bullet Style: TSX BT Primer: Federal 210 B.C. 0.340
COAL: 2.810" Barrel Length: 24"
Case: Winchester Twist Rate: 1:12"
Powder Charge Velocity Charge Velocity
Load(grains) (fps) (grains) (fps) Density (%)
AA 2460 45.0 2957 51.0 3221 95
Varget 47.5 2946 52.0 3159 106
Looks like Their Velocity Goal is Around 3000fps.
Personally I Really Like BL-C2 for the .308 (My Rifle does Too)
50gr of It or IMR-4895 Should put you at About 3000fps.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: STAG

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
4 Hunting Bullets w/ a Cannelure, I use a Lee FCD w/ Light to Med Crimp, on All Loads.
4 Target Bullets w/o Cannelure - Light Loads = Light Crimp w/ FCD & Hot Loads = No Crimp.
Have Found that Accuracy is Best This Way, In My Rifle.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: STAG

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I load the 130 TTSX in my 30/06's with H4895. Super accuracy, great velocity and I use a light crimp with the 130 TTSX due to the short bearing surface. Load work up was easy. Pour 54.5grs H4895, seat to middle of top groove, crimp and great groups.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I've never loaded the 130 grain TTSX but the 150 grain TTSX ahead of H4895 from my Ruger American 308 gives me .5-.7 inch groups at 100 yards. I use a Lee FCD to take out the flare on the case mouth and give me a very light crimp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts