Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 1894c .38spl/.357mag and am planning on installing a williams fp336 sight I was told it will fit on top w/o d/t ing. Do I need a new front sight? Also why does it state that I have to use a hammer extension? Does the wgos sight fit this and don't have to use a hammer extension? Do I need a different front sight for that one too?

·
Registered
860 Posts
FP sight

The top -mounted FP Sight is a great set-up on the 1894. The only problem is that the sight hangs over the hammer, and you need the hammer extension. The way to get around this is to drill and tap one (1) more hole on the receiver top forward of the 2nd mounting screw hole (from the rear). Do a search and there is someone who did this and included pictures. This positions the sight further forward on the short 1894 receiver and looks really nice. I had it done to a brand-new 1894CL in .32-20. Looks and works great. Hope this helps. Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OIF2 thanks for that info. Does the whole FP sight hang over or is it just the aperture; can I just remove the aperture and use it as a "ghost" w/o having to use the hammer ext.? I really like the look of this sight too. The wgos is more compact but I read that the adjustments are a littte harder to do/ or get to.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
First I'v heard of this but all mine are screwed into the sides. :?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
3006mv said:
OIF2 thanks for that info. Does the whole FP sight hang over or is it just the aperture; can I just remove the aperture and use it as a "ghost" w/o having to use the hammer ext.? I really like the look of this sight too. The wgos is more compact but I read that the adjustments are a littte harder to do/ or get to.
It's the whole back end of the sight, approximately 1/2 inch. I had the same issue with a WGRS and drilled the extra hole as described above. The WGRS on my rifle:

and in the factory holes (not my rifle):

Whether or not you need a new front sight will depend a lot on your load.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got the top mount FP rear sight on my 1894C. It extends rearward about 3/4" from the flat portion of the top of the receiver. I didn't install the hammer extension. There's enough of the hammer spur exposed that I can grab it with my thumb, although I wouldn't try it with gloves on. Removing the aperture won't help with hammer spur accessibility. I'm happy with mine as it is, but it's your decision.

Leverdude, I think that Marlin deleted drilled and tapped holes in the left side of the receiver a few years ago. The only mounts that I know of for the newer ones are on top *sigh*.

My rifle shoots high at 50 yards with the FP rear sight all the way down. I'm considering installing a higher front sight. The front and rear sights came as a set but I haven't installed the matching front sight yet.

Here's a picture of what the rear sight looks like with the hammer down (sorry about the poor picture quality).

Jim H

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info and picture, I think I will go ahead and order the 336fp and install the front sight that it should come with. I hope it turns out okay. I try to post as soon as it comes, they are back ordered at midway right now, so I will have to do without until it arrives

1 - 7 of 7 Posts