Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and what is it worth? Barrel says 336 octagon, 21" or 22" tapered octagon barrel pre safety strait grip. Cresent buttplate made of plastic. This rifle is well used but seems solid. When was it made? serial # 721255XX

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If it doesn't have anything about Zane Grey or the 100th year Centennial on it, it's a 336 Octagon. 2414 made in 1972. I don't know what it's worth. SW

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the 336 octagon I saw it at a pawn shop, just wondering if it is worth picking up. What is a good price?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
What are they asking for it? I've seen a couple of examples in excellent condition over the years and, if I recall correctly, the asking prices were in the $450-500 range. But, if it's well-worn or damaged in any way... well, not having seen it, it's hard to say what I'd offer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are asking $350 but it is in used condition with scratches in the stock abd worn bluing.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
350 seems a bit steep for one showing use like that. I'm thinking 250 - 300 if you like that sort of rifle. In the condition you describe, it really doesn't have a lot going for it collector-wise. They are neat looking rifles, though. SW

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'd agree with NebrHogger on this one. I have few qualms about a decent shooter that shows signs of loving use -- even plenty of it -- without abuse. Still, what may be a danged nice shooter still won't warrant a collector's premium. Without seeing the rifle, I'd say that $300 would likely be my top end, even given the fact that these aren't common.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts