Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's a 336 "Carbine"
Is the first year for the Model 336 1948
Marlin didn't add the "C" until 1951
In 1948, the Model 36 was replaced by the Model 336, which incorporated the patents of Thomas R. Robinson, Jr., a Marlin employee.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336#cite_note-BRO-2[/SUP] Sold under both the Marlin and Glenfield brands

I bet that old timer has put some venison on the table.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I'd take one like for $150 all day long! Nice find! That stock has some nice figuring in it, chipped or not. Welcome from KY!

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlin 336

what would be the best course of action for the stock? Try to put a toe repair in it or replace? In 1948 did they have metal buttplates? Were they factory drilled and tapped?

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
what would be the best course of action for the stock? Try to put a toe repair in it or replace? In 1948 did they have metal buttplates? Were they factory drilled and tapped?
Check out Numrich Gun Parts for a stock. No in 48' they weren't D&T'd for optics....

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
No...They were not factory tapped in 48...The barrel appears to be tapped on yours also, which Is another detractor...

To my untrained eye, it also looks as if the buttstock has been shortened an inch or so...

Damn shame if it has, as that is a nice piece of wood...

Still a steal at $150...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd repair the stock. An easy jot and the repair gives the stock personality. Get a buttplate and you're good to go. A bargain if the barrel is good.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The rifle looks great as is, even with the flawed stock. The standard but plate was either plastic or hard rubber, not metal. I wouldn't replace the stock, rather when you replace the butt plate you may consider just sanding the two, plate and stock, even with each other. You will probably have to size any plate you get to the stock.

No drilling and tapping till 1954.

I like the robust forearm. As 35RS said, I'm sure it has taken a lot of venison, and other vittles as well. Great find, you will enjoy.

Ss

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey tal35, welcome to marlin owners. Very nice score for $150. The stock shows good honest age and I'd be inclined to repair the toe and keep it looking the way it is.
Good shooting.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I could not bring myself to replace that stock, a beautiful piece of wood. I probably would repair it though. With a little somewhat tedious work, you can splice in a small piece of walnut to hide it pretty darn well. Then a new butt plate to protect it and you have something special.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Repair the stock. I would pull that front sling swivel from the for end also, plug the hole. Get a clamp on the mag tube one to replace it.

Try here for a butt plate. Marlin Buttplates

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Welcome to the MO Forum! Nice find too!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts