Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 336 in 30.30 for 2 yrs and use it soley for hunting deer using winchester 150 silvertips it is a 1974 with 19 1/2 inch barrel and a full length mag, as I don,t meet many hunters overhere with one, what I would like to know is the differences between the models e.g. A, Spike etc.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Taff the model differences in the 336 are basically barrel length, mag tube length, stock grip style, finish type, and caliber. For modern Marlins you can check out www.marlinfirearms.com. For older guns I can tell you the 336 R.C is the regular carbine...pistol grip walnut stock and full mag tube on the 20" barrel. The 336A is the 24" barreled model with pistol grip stock and 3/4 tube mag. The Texan is a 20" barreled carbine with straight grip stock. The Marauder was a 16" barreled rifle.

If you post what is written on your barrel, someone here can tell you exactly what you have.

cheers

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Taff,

35hunter has given a good reply. He failed to mention "Spikehorn" as you listed.

The Spikehorn model just came out in the last couple of years. It has most of the same features as the regular 336 carbine but the buttstock and barrel are shorter.

This is intended to make it appropriate for youth or other shooters of small stature and possibly anyone wanting a smaller, lighter carbine for use in tight situations such as heavy brush, following hounds on foot, hunting from tree stands, etc. It chambers the same 30-30 cartridge and ballistics are only slightly degraded by the shorter barrel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts