Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be carrying my Marlin 338MX on opening day this year for deer. Hunting in northern NY.

Last year it was my Glenfield 30A 375 Winchester rebore.

What about you?

·
Super Moderator
26,223 Posts
I am taking out my 1994 444SS on opening day of the modern firearms season. Its zeroed in with 265 gr Hornaday Interlock SPs pushed by H4198.
Hand tool Air gun Wood Tool Office supplies

Last year during early the doe only season, my 308MX got the nod.
Toy Grass Tail Gun barrel Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice rifles, guys!

I'll likely be shooting my 444p this year with a 44 carbine level load I'm in the final stages with, which utilizes Buffalo Bore and the old Speer 4457 soft point. My wife will be toting her 1894c using federal soft points. Our shots are always close on this property.

But an old 336sc 35 Remington is in reserve if we need some more range. We have permission to hunt over the neighbors corn field this year, too.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
A couple of possibilities. If the weather is good, then I'll be using the Ruger #1A in 06 that I bought from my good buddy's collection that I helped his widow liquidate. It's special to sit with it and recall the 15yrs worth of hunts we shared from Alaska to Georgia. From Tennessee to Maine and others in-between.

If the weather is nasty, then it will likely be either my Sako Kodiak or my new 1895 Trapper

Plant Tree Wood Bicycle fork Grass
Wood Satellite Fashion accessory Electric blue Metal
Air gun Shotgun Gun accessory Cylinder Metal

·
Registered
680 Posts
As always, I will carry my Marlin first year 1972 1895 45-70 with a 405-grain soft point. I know, they say I'm over gunned for Virginia whitetail, but the younger guys used to call me Old One Shot. The rifle makes one hole in and one hole out and a good blood trail if it runs a few yards. That leaves me with a short search and a short drag on my small Shenandoah Valley farm where I spend most of the lovely fall season in the woods. That is over 50 years hunting with this great rifle and over 60 years hunting Virginia whitetails.

Thanks Marlin.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ll be up in the tree stand at about 4:30 am with the 2007 JM Marlin custom trapper, loaded with Hornady 325 grain gummy tips, that is my favorite to take to the dance.

Vertebrate Air gun Plant Mammal Wood

Good luck to all and Fair Winds. Ray

1 - 20 of 32 Posts