Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the issues with the new Remington made Marlin rifles, does anyone know which models of Marlin rifles that Remington IS making right ???

·
Registered
901 Posts
Until we get full confirmation of just how bad things are up at Remington's Marlin Production in Ilion,NY. It doesn't look like any good Lever Action Rifles will be produced anytime soon. I know first hand they were having major issues with getting their inherited machinery from us set-up, adjusted, and running properly before they received all of the machinery from North Haven. Some of the machinery was even dropped by their Rigging Crew as they were brought into the building.
Think of it as taking delivery of a Ford Model T today, and you have no idea how to start it, get it in gear, adjust the advance, and work the levers & pedals just to get it to move down the road. It is a daunting task if you have no idea of what you are doing.
As far as what is going on with Remington's Marlin Production in Mayfield,KY with the Bolt Action Rifles. I know personally they have been going at it non-stop since the first pieces of machinery were delivered to them in 2010, all during holidays and 7 days a week at times. Our set-up people were sent down there as well, but not long enough for their people to grasp just what they were in for. As well as, what Ilion has had to endure over the past year.
I hope they make a truly serious effort into making their Rifle Production close to a level were things at least are going in the proper direction.
The pictures and accounts of what junk the public have been receiving and posting on here is absolutely horrible.
They really need to rebuild the bridges they burned with the people that knew what they were doing with manufacturing Marlin Rifles. Perhaps even contracting a crew to solve their issues, but their ego won't allow that to happen. Plus I doubt they could find a group willing to even make the effort at this point.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Remington in Lexington,Mo., formerly S&K Gunstocks, is going through the very same growing pains with all the Woodworking Machinery we sent out to them.
They need a great deal of attention as well, and it doesn't appear they are getting any support from the company.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Sounds like maybe they should have just gotten all new machinery.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Halwg said:
Sounds like maybe they should have just gotten all new machinery.
There were a lot of new CNC's as well as the older Machinery they were sent. All of it was more than capable of producing good product. You're at the mercy of Set-up People, Electricians, Machine Mechanics and their abilities.
All New Machinery would have put them even more Millions of Dollars in the hole than they already are after making this Total Debacle of a move.
It boggles the mind the amount of money that was thrown at this move with absolutely no hope of ever getting a return on their investment.

Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Registered
18 Posts
greenfox said:
Of all the issues with the new Remington made Marlin rifles, does anyone know which models of Marlin rifles that Remington IS making right ???
I just bought a rem made 795 and it is flawless full mag under 1/2 inch at 40 yrds with remington subsonic ammo

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
They should have left the machinery where it was and let the people who knew how to make guns make them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Remington's Mayfield, KY plant got my new "Marlin" XT-22 VERY RIGHT. It is absolutely flawless in terms of build quality and it is the most accurate .22 LR I have ever owned -and I've owned a Remington 541-T, a Browning A-Bolt .22, and a CZ 452-2E, in addition to my first .22LR which is a Ruger 10/22 deluxe that I've had for going on 32 years now. I've shot some Kimbers, a couple of Coopers, and some of Dieter Anschutz's finest, and this XT-22 of mine would give them a run for their money, too.

I saw some walnut-stocked XL-7's at the same store where I bought my XT-22 and I couldn't find any fault with them and I looked over at least a dozen of them. A .30-'06 almost came home with me. I'm going back out there tomorrow. If that XL-7 is still there, it'll likely be in my gun room by noon.

So, I didn't hesitate to pick up an XT-22 and I only hesitated in picking up the XL-7 because I don't normally buy anything over $100.00 without telling my wife that I am going to do it, and I was already committing on the XT-22 without telling her. Absent of that constraint, it would have went home with me. Or, mayber the .270 would have. Or, maybe the .25-'06, since I've never had a rifle in that caliber before.

If those rifles are still in the store tomorrow, I'll not be hesitating any further.

T-C

·
Registered
711 Posts
Same experience with my XT22. I bought the very first one I saw because it looked and felt so good. Shot great right out of the box. Only complaint is the flimsy rear sight, and the bolt handle wouldn't clear a large diameter scope power ring-easy fix.
I ended up doing a bunch of fluff+buff things to it, none of which was corrective action-just like to make my guns mine...

Really enjoying this rifle.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
I my opinion.........the only ones that are made and fitted correctly are the ones they make for themselves.....................ALL the bigshots put in special order rifles for themselves and their friends........You wouldn't believe how north haven jumped thru hoops for those Money Hungry Clowns........

Tom

Reactions: buckeyeshooter

·
Registered
91 Posts
MY GBL arrived last week. All functions seem ok. Pretty good wood to metal fit. Not fired it yet. I hope that goes ok.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Last May I got a new 336C, it isn't a badly put-together gun and for the money I could have only gotten a beaten up used Marlin one and who knows if it would have been any better. If I had known of their issues beforehand I would have avoided the brand entirely. The only reason I found this website was to see what year mine was built and then I learned of the problems they have had. Needless to say after I saw all the problems I had I was really nervous about it until I shot it.

So now I decided I wouldn't mind getting a new bolt action. I am a bit of a Mossberg guy and have liked the 100ATR since it first came out but much like the 464 reviews (both are mostly pre buyout) everybody says the Marlin is a better buy. So I look into the Marlin XL7 with my newfound skeptisism about Marlin... and find out because they were beating the pants off the 770 in sales Remington no longer lets them be sold in bigger stores. That is all and fine, usually the smaller guys beat them on price anyway... but that move really turned me off. Buying out the competition and slowly killing it will not win my support. That makes absolutly no sense if they want to keep the model in production (I doubt it will be for long) and it is odd because it seems to be a model they haven't totally screwed up on too. Compared to the lever action fiasco they should be pumping them babies out like crazy to try to make their money back.

Forget rebuilding bridges, they have be gunshy enough of what the heck they are thinking I wouldn't trust the bridge from breaking dumping me in the river.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel bad for the operators involved in the restart. I have been there and it is so very frustrating when you do not have the mechanical and electrical support you need. It takes a lot of skilled workers and managers to get machinery running again. If that is not planned for life sucks. :( The events surrounding the shutdown of the machinery can also have an effect and sadly it is seldom on good terms.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Gyre said:
I feel bad for the operators involved in the restart. I have been there and it is so very frustrating when you do not have the mechanical and electrical support you need. It takes a lot of skilled workers and managers to get machinery running again. If that is not planned for life sucks. :( The events surrounding the shutdown of the machinery can also have an effect and sadly it is seldom on good terms.
They had no idea what they were in for as far as the age of some of the equipment. As well as, how to adjust, repair, and maintain the equipment.
I was in charge of "Bagging & Tagging". Essentially prepping all the equipment leaving the factory to go to the 3 Remington Plants, or the Scrap Yard.
It was a MASSIVE undertaking, but it was done to the utmost in Professionalism.
It sucked we were all losing our jobs, but there was no reason to sabotage the equipment.
That would have just come back to bite us in the butt. The equipment left in stages, section by section over the final year we operated North Haven Marlin. If there were anything malicious done, we would all have had to answer for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences KON. You say it sucked, but I know it was worse than sucking. We shut down one plant for what anyone with sense could see would only be short while. The drop in morale and the struggle that safety became really wore at me. I am sorry that you had to be in charge of an effort like that. I am not surprised that the equipment was shut down correctly, professionalism and safety demand it and it sounds like you feel both of those. We both know that sister machines do not run the same even new, once they have a little age... Well that is what separates the operators from the others, or the inexperienced.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just started buying and using Marlins so I'm not fimiliar with the details of the buyout story. I don't understand why they moved the plant in the first place? If you invest in buying a company like Marlin wouldn't it be in Remmington's best intrest to continue making the best gun possible? Why move production away from the people experienced with the machines and gun who have been reliably putting out a quality product for so long? Was quality and attention to detail too expensive for Remmington? The first gun I ever owned was an 870, but I'm having doubts if I ever want to buy a Remmington gun again, seems to me they don't care about customers or quality, only profit and getting rid of competition.

·
Registered
901 Posts
McyNHMarlin said:
I don't understand why they moved the plant in the first place? If you invest in buying a company like Marlin wouldn't it be in Remmington's best intrest to continue making the best gun possible? Why move production away from the people experienced with the machines and gun who have been reliably putting out a quality product for so long? Was quality and attention to detail too expensive for Remmington? The first gun I ever owned was an 870, but I'm having doubts if I ever want to buy a Remmington gun again, seems to me they don't care about customers or quality, only profit and getting rid of competition.
It all came down to money.
Remington didn't want to pay Connecticut Wages & Taxes.
The cost of doing business in Connecticut is too high, and MANY companies have run screaming from the state.
New York, Kentucky, and Missouri all gave MILLIONS of dollars to Remington if they would bring our work to their states.
Remington was also under the assumption that they could take old, well taken care of machinery, along with new CNC Machinery, and then put them in the hands of people who had 4 weeks of training, or in most cases, NO TRAINING AT ALL to produce well made Lever & Bolt Action Rifles. They abandoned all the experienced knowledge here.
They were in for a world of hurt, and reality has hit home.
They have had problems starting from day one of taking delivery of machine number one, all during our final year taking delivery of the final machine along with all our spare parts, and all the way beyond the final day of The Marlin Firearms Company March 31st, 2011.
This complete mess was created by people who are no longer part of the decision making part of Cerberus/The Freedom Group. Joe Gross, who has caused the same problems for each and every company he has been a part of, was the Mastermind.
These guys come into a company with their Multi-Year "No-Cut" Contracts & their "Golden Parachutes" when they bail. They cut every part of the company to the bone through eliminating personnel and quality to acheive "The Bottom Line".
If only a small percentage of each of their salaries & perks were reduced. The company they work for would have a MASSIVE amount of Operating Capital, but we all know this will NEVER happen.
That is it in a Nutshell what took place at North Haven,CT. Marlin when we were purchased by Cerberus/The Freedom Group/Remington.

Reactions: Bestboss

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for summing it all up Kon. Most of it we got it bits and pieces over the last year or so. Of course we can't let the Kennas off the hook for selling Marlin Firearms to these clowns in the first place. And one wonders why there is starting to be calls for an American Spring.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That seems to be the way in America now, I wish this was still the America my grandfather used to talk about. Now money has killed tradition and quality, send work to China make billions, kill of the old, replace it with new and cheaper. I'm sorry you and the company had to suffer for the almighty dollar. I'm looking for as many "real" Marlins as I can get to pass down to my kids, show them what made in America USED to mean. Hopefully when they get them after me it wont be illegal to own them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The current 22's, 22 mags, and 17's at the local walmart look well put together and are actually cheaper than they were before.
I noticed the Ruger 10/22's have come down a tad in price also

1 - 20 of 60 Posts