Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a bit of wear on my Mak slide when cleaning.
I'd been using the Winchester dry lube.
Before I just used synthetic motor oil.
With the wear I'm wondering if I should go to a grease...
What do y'all use to lube the slide?

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Mobil1 is good, I use that on a few things. I also have an old jar of RIG +P stainless grease that I use on my handgun slides and revolver internals (stainless or not.) It seems to hold up well and not run when it gets hot. Other than that... CLP.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
I put a heavy gun-grease on the slide of a tight fitting 1911 I owned for a while. It was funny, and frustrating, watching the slide run in slow motion while I was shooting! That was a cool/cold day, and I really should have lubed it with something lighter, like CLP.

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a heavy gun-grease on the slide of a tight fitting 1911 I owned for a while. It was funny, and frustrating, watching the slide run in slow motion while I was shooting! That was a cool/cold day, and I really should have lubed it with something lighter, like CLP.
I was looking at FrogLube CLP today - sounds good but I've never used it.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I love frog lube. You can heat the metal up and it seasons the metal like a cast iron pan. When you shoot it turns liquid again and the back to a semi solid state when it cools off. A little goes a long ways.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My new Glock's came with Antiseize on them.
All Glocks come with the antiseize, but it'll wear off....quickly....

They say use grease of the slide rails of the Sigs, and I've done that. But,......I've only used Hoppes oil on everything else, and I've never had a problem. I've been doing this for forty plus years. I'm beginning to think that the Sigs would do good with oil, too.

FrogLube is a treatment. I have no experience with it, but as good as the plain old Hoppes Gun Oil has been, I seen no reason to change.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well for target shooting I have used terta gun oil, or CLP, and pending how many rounds and what I am shooting depends on how often I will stop clean and add or NOT at all
on my carry guns, I tend to use a dry lube, due to so little dust and fuzz sticks to it, and I don't expect to shoot a ton of rounds in a carry gun being carried
tons of good oils out there today
the game is NOT to shoot it dry for long IMO

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
RIG w/ Micro Powdered Moly.
Or if you can't Find the Moly Powder Just Use a Dab of Moly Wheel Bearing Grease or Mix it w/ Mobil 1 75/25. Both Work Great.
Been Using the First Mix 4 Years. No Wear on my 9mm Slide after 1000's of Rds.
Used to Use it when I was in the Army Years Ago.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I use corrosion x on my 1911's. seems to do a good job. I think it is a Canadian product. I haven't tried froglube,but it sounds good.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
I'm still using LSA, the military grade stuff. A couple of bottles should last me 30 years, and I use it on my AR-15's too.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If it slides grease it. Thats what the field manuals say.

Ive used lubriplate for decades now. Was invented to use on the Ma Deuce & M1 Garand & even the M-14.
Its white for a reason, to see debris getting into the slide.

With all the high tech grease out there, the Army still uses this

Material property Wood stain Paint Metal Tin

·
Registered
970 Posts
Grease is the preferred lubricant for slides. You've received many fine recommendations as to what grease. I use white lithium. But the larger point is that grease keeps on lubricating where oils thin out as things heat up. The greatest benefit from grease is its ability to lubricate under shear stress (parts sliding past one another). Mobil 1 for all other parts.

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it slides grease it. Thats what the field manuals say.

Ive used lubriplate for decades now. Was invented to use on the Ma Deuce & M1 Garand & even the M-14.
Its white for a reason, to see debris getting into the slide.
With all the high tech grease out there, the Army still uses this.
Actually I heard that Froglube was developed by an ex-Navy SEAL and is used by the military now.
There's a guy that has made a corrosion video and FL won hands down.
I agree about Lubriplate - forgot all about it so thanks for the reminder.
I always beware Moly greases - people will tell you that it "bonds" to metal - it will, but only under if made to do so.
I was in the Air Force and we were given gallon cans of Molybdenum diSulfide powder to add to our greases, heavy oils and such. Some guy had put in a suggestion (they pay a bonus if accepted on savings) to add it to our expensive gearboxes and such for heavy ground radar. I noted that the stuff just lay there in the bottom so they hired a chemist who laughed and said even in suspension (grease) moly will not bond, nor add any surface protection. It has to be bonded during a special treating process to the metal surface to be of any use. Basically snake oil the way it's sold today. The theory of moly came about because the chemical structure looks like a roller bearing. It *is* useful in the same way that graphite is used - a dry lubricant.
Anyway - I never had much use for it after that. Best I can say is it won't hurt anything.
I ordered up a jar of the paste and the liquid - I'll let y'all know what I think. One of the things that others are saying is that it also keeps the bore clean and cleanup is a breeze.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Forgot about Lubriplate. Great Stuff.
Probably The Best Choice Overall.
US58

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have been using "super lube" grease on all my slides and bolts with excellent results. No issues at all with anything.

It is a synthetic grease. Operating temp from -45 to 450 degrees. It is scentless and colorless. Won't stain your cloths. It is also water proof. Tons more too. I got two tubes from harbor freight for 7 bucks a tube if I remember correctly. Haven't even emptied one yet. A little goes a long way. Good stuff.

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease

·
Super Moderator
16,613 Posts
Since 1964 I have used 3inOne® on all my firearms.....
• SA Revolvers
• DA Revolvers
• Semi Automatic Handguns
• Single Shot Rifles
• Bolt Rifles
• Lever Rifles
• Semi Automatic Rifles
• Pump Rifles
• Single Shot Shotguns
• SxS Shotguns
• O/U Shotguns
• Pump Shotguns
• Semi Automatic Shotguns

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.