Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Glad ta see ya way down here. ;D
Saxon American longbow, Martin Stick longbow, Martin X-200 recurve.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 60", 57lb Monarch longbow, ash limbs with cocoa bola riser. It's one of the last ones built by Monte before he died, made just a few months before he checked out. Because it is so short it makes a good tree stand bow. My favorite bow is a custom Liberty Contender Elite longbow (built by Alan Boyce of Oregon); It is 64", 53lbs at 26", bamboo limbs, myrtle veneer and dark cocoa bola riser.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have killed 2 deer with my bear grizzly 60#, and my only buck ''6 pt'' with a homemade hickory pyramid style bow 65# .... I have a new homemade bamboo backed ipe bow to try this year but am still wanting to use my hickory bow. I will post a picture of it tommorow....

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
We be waitin for it. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my first buck with trad bow. 65# hickory pyramid 64'', rattlesnake hide backing, artificial sinew string, beaver fur silencers, mink fur on the recurves. 29'' laminated birch arrows , self nocked, turkey feathers fletched with deer tendon, zwickey 125gr 2 blades. Shot 12 yards with his face in my corn pile ;D

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
That is one fine looking bow and deer. Great pic!!
Levernut. Yer sure welcome here ta talk bout any thing that slings errors. Even if it does have training wheels. ;D ;D

Reactions: levernut1958

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Don't have pics right now, and haven't hunted with a bow in 20 years. However, I do have 2 bows. First is a Colt recurve from the early 60's, and the other is a Browning Cobra wood compound that I won from magazine sales while in the FFA back in the 70's.

The only deer I ever shot ran off, and was found 3 days later. I tried my best to track him but he was hit high and did not bleed enough to track. I have never shot at another with a bow. I like my Marlins a heap better for hunting. I will get some pics of the bows though.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
georgeky said:
Don't have pics right now, and haven't hunted with a bow in 20 years. However, I do have 2 bows. First is a Colt recurve from the early 60's, and the other is a Browning Cobra wood compound that I won from magazine sales while in the FFA back in the 70's.

The only deer I ever shot ran off, and was found 3 days later. I tried my best to track him but he was hit high and did not bleed enough to track. I have never shot at another with a bow. I like my Marlins a heap better for hunting. I will get some pics of the bows though.
I had an old Colt recurve....lost it in a fire :(

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
georgeky said:

Bow Hunting is like Rifle Hunting bad or misplaced shots happen .. I have known people here using the 7mm mag and 300weatherby to loose deer ..

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Yep a bad shot is a bad shot, rifle or bow yer gonna lose, or have a hard time finding it. It's sad but it happens.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Here is the Browning Cobra. All wood. I got this around 1977 or 78. Haven't found the Colt yet. It is put up somewhere around here though.

My mom made the quilt!

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Mom used to make lots of quilts but since she has been fighting this cancer she hasn't been able to do much of anything. I probably have 50 quilts made by her and both grandma's and a few made by great grandma's. I lost 20 or more when my house burned in 2000.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My first longbow was an Internature Viper - 68", 50# @ 28". Inexpensive and great shooting bow!

Second bow I picked up is a Howard Hill Badger. Snakewood riser, 4 lams of bamboo and 1 of carbon. got a nice silver inlay of a turkey in the handle. She's a sweetheart! 62", 54# @28".

1 - 20 of 263 Posts