Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 39A's and both shoot the same. What is the average group sizes you guys get with your 39A's.

John

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
One ragged hole at 50 yards.

This is 30 shots, 2 mag tubes, shot from my 39A with a 4X Weaver scope.

I needed to move the POI about 1/2" to the left.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can stay under .5 inch at 35yd. I usually shoot prone or kneeling with a sling to steady me. I have never shot my 39 from a bench so I dont know how good the rifle could be without my mistakes.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hal,
What is the measurement of your target, from one edge of the cluster to the other edge of the cluster?

Bubsdad,
Under 1/2" is pretty good for a 39A I am thinking, even at 35 yards.

John

·
Registered
711 Posts
My '08 with hammer and trigger mods will shoot nickle size groups at 50 from bags with a 4X32 scope...

My '47 with Marbels tang shoots half dollar groups at 50-untold thousands of rounds in 64 years. Sadly she's starting to act up with feeding problems lately, have to look into that soon...

Couldn't be happier with either, they're field rifles-not target guns.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Accuracy from a model 39 is weird.

When you shoot it from sandbags on the bench, it's good but nothing to get excited about.

I have two- an older one with Ballard Rifling, and a newer one with the safety and rebounding hammer.

The older one (1950) shoots iron sights, and the newer one (2002) wears a scope.

Both will reliably shoot under one inch at 50 yards. Both will sometimes put ammo they like under 3/4 inch at 50 yards.

That's good accuracy, but not target rifle stuff for sure. Certainly nothing to brag about.

But here's where it gets weird...

Pick those rifles up off the bench and start shooting at targets at unknown ranges or up in the treetops.

There's just something about the way those rifles come up to the shoulder, something about the way they hold on target, something about the way they handle when it's just you and the rifle...

There's something about the way the model 39 shoots that makes it easy to hit targets WAY out there.

When the targets are small game, and you have to shoot them where they are from real world positions, I'll put my model 39s up against any target rifle I ever saw and have no fear.

Here's a crow I popped with one shot from my 39AS at an estimated 125 yards. Just me and the rifle from a sitting position.

Now that is fine accuracy. Plugged him dead center, too. He fell over dead right there where he stood.

My model 39 made putting that shot on target easy, and I bet I could do it again.

Shots like that are not uncommon for this rifle, and I don't really understand why it shoots so good from field positions and only so so from the bench, but that's what it does.

One thing is for sure... It's not fair to the squirrels around here. ;D

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fast frank,

I can relate. I can shoot my 39A, that I have had for 35 years, and just about hit anything I aim it at.
Off the bench I can get as good as 4 holes touching at 50 yds. and the 5th close, but ........ the norm for 5 shots is 1" to 1 1/4" at 50 yds. If it wasn't for that 5th shot! ::)

I just bought a like new 39A made in 1976 and it shoots the same as my first 39A. I guess that is the way they are! ???

I have better shooting 22 rifles for sure. But I really like my 39A.

John

·
Registered
425 Posts
Used to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds. Now for some reason I can't. It's not the gun because I shoot every thing bad. Think I don't concentrate like I did a few years ago. Went to the range Wed. Took a Rem 541 and CZ American ave about 1 inch. Both will do better than that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
stubbfarmer said:
One ragged hole till I take a second shot. ;)
And I thought that I was the only one. ;)

I just spent some range time with my 39A (4X Nikon Scope) and with my 50 year old eyes it was shooting consistent 1" groups at 50 yards. I was using both CCI MM HP, and then CCI Sub Sonics (with a cleaning in between ammo types). I think that it would do better than that with higher grade ammo, and more practice. Probably not 1/2" but a little better than 1". Still, I really enjoy my time with it, which is what it is all about for me. 8)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 39m with 4x28 scope will shoot 5 shots in to .75" to 1" groups at 50 yards from a bench rest with ammo it likes.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I've owned a few .22 rifles over the years. An old Remington Nylon 66, a Savage mark II BV (wow), and my Marlin 39A.

The Savage, with match grade (read expensive) ammo, could literally drill one hole at 50 yards. I had a 4x Leupold rimfire scope on it, and the limiting factor in its accuracy was the thickness of the reticle! I switched it out to my 2-7 rimfire scope, and the bullet would land exactly at the intersection of the cross hairs every single time.

My Marlin 39A was nearly as good. I haven't tried premium ammo in it, but with my usual CCI MiniMag hunting loads I can get dime to nickel size groups at 50 yards off a bench.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
bob kk said:
Used to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds. Now for some reason I can't. It's not the gun because I shoot every thing bad.
Have you had your eye-prescription checked, since your accuracy dropped off? Used to be, Olympic-level competition shooters had their script adjusted multiple times per year.

I got some phosphoric/nitric acid mix, splashed in my eye, at work, years ago. Suddenly I had astigmatism. Vision was hardly noticeably different but in my right eye, I could no longer make out subtle lines. "Be sure of your target" became a reality, for me. I'd see a grouse, with both eyes. Bring up the gun and it was gone. If it moved I could see it clearly, but if it stopped, it was gone. Target shooting was much more difficult and aggravating. I *thought* I could see clearly, until I tried to shoot. Grrrrr!

·
Registered
425 Posts
JetBlack said:
Have you had your eye-prescription checked, since your accuracy dropped off? Used to be, Olympic-level competition shooters had their script adjusted multiple times per year.
Went back to the range last week. Found out if I concentrate on shooting then I do better. Eyes aren't like they were years ago. Now shoot a few times then wait a few minutes. That helps. Think it's just not concentrating and hurrying that's my problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At 50 yards with any ammo you like through my TDS, I could get a tighter group with a 12 gauge at the same distance.
I must admit to being quite disapointed with the accuracy of it. All the posts on here on the subject suggest they are very accurate, well mine isn't.
Very much a fun gun but if I really want to hit what I am shooting at I will take my BRNO.
I am not claiming to be a world class target shooter but I do know when it is me and when it is the gun.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apples,

I had a TDS once also. It didn't last long. It also shot a very large group at 50 yards. I had a few 20" mounties too. I sold them also. Better than the TDS but not as good as my 39A.

I tend to believe that others perception of good accuracy is different than mine. ::) If I want to do some accurate shooting I use my Remington 40X sporter
I can, on most days, cover all 5 shots at 50 yards with a dime and have shot several 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards with it.

You are not alone in your dissapointment with Marlin lever 22 accuracy. I do have a Marlin 780 bolt action that is very accurate. ;)

John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
To be all over the target... as the Asians say, at work... "Sumping wong".

Loose front sight?

Muzzle damage?

Badly fouled/rusted bore?

Barrel not pinned in tight?

If it's scoped, check to be certain the rail is also tight, to the receiver, not just the scope, being tight, in it's mounts (I made that mistake once and boy was it frustrating, both to go through and then forehead-smacking, once I found it).

·
Registered
226 Posts
My 39M averages 1.01" with Win T22 ammo and 1.14" with CCI SV: 5 shot groups at 50 yards with a 4x scope. Open sights CCIs average 1.49" groups, again 5 shots at 50 yards benched.
I suppose there is an ammo that I haven't tried that could improve on this. But overall I'm pretty happy with the accuracy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts