Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that has an 1894 in 44 mag. I dont think he has hardly shot it. It has been quite some time since I have seen it, but remember it to be in very good shape. I dont remember if is pre crossbolt safety or not. Any way I'm thinking about buying it, where should I be at for a fair ball park price?

G

·
I'd suggest going over to gunbroker.com and doing a little research. They usually have both new and used Marlins for sale, so you can compare prices accordingly. Then haggle with your friend over what the two of you consider to be a fair price.

My practice is that, when it's a friend, I tend to go generous if I think the item is something I want. I don't want a friend thinking I gyped him. No object is worth it to me (not even a good-looking '94 in .44 mag)! :wink: If there's too much of a conflict about it, I'd rather buy from a stranger and not jeopardize the friendship.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tried to go over to Guns America, but it must have been down. I did go back and check there and it is up now. I dont have any problems buying from friends. We dont try to screw each other, and to be honest I have never haggled over price with them, because the price has always been fair. If it is in as good of shape as I remember I figure between 250-350 some where in there is fair based on what I have found.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
For used, I would guess the price range to be 225 - 275 assuming excellent condition. SW

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If someone I know is selling a weapon, I look at it, go to one of the sites on the web and get a ballpark idea, then tell his this: If you take this to a show or a dealer, you will get about half or less what it's worth, if you put it in the paper and sell it yourself, you'll get XXXX$$. I'll then offer him something in between so that he knows I'm not lowballing him, but that he might do better if he tries harder. I'll tend to sell low to friends, tho......Being up front is the important and no pressure. If I really want the weapon, I'll meet his price if it's not too high.

(Oh, yeah.......if it's real nice, offer him 275)

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go take a look at Guns America, you wont believe what they are going for. I can tell you that around here you wont find a crapy one for 225.00

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Alan,

Crappy one here in town not selling = 275.

They won't come down and I'd swear that thing is only 80%

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I cain't help it.. I'm still excited about my $130 81'.44!!!A little cleaning and a smithy offerd $300!! Whahooo!
The last Nice .44 I looked at was $345 and had the crossbolt safety.
Offer $200 and alow him to take you to 275-300. 200 aint snezing money and if he sells it low he'll know your getting a deal that can be returned some other way friends do. Like pullin him out of a ditch at 3am.
cw

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got it guys! It is a 1976 rifle in about 98%. $300.00 was the price. We were both happy. I can tell you in these parts you have a hard time finding this nice of a rifle for that price. You dont see them around much. Cant wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
OK I'll show you mine!
Before

After

cw

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope to be able to get a pic later this AM. I'm having problems getting downloaded on the computer :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts