Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello rifleman,
I have been pouring over my reloading books lately trying to find the best overall powder to start with. I am trying to find a powder that will give good velocities with the Speer 130 -170 gr bullets. So I am hoping that all of you here could help me out with my problem. So far the powders that I am considering are;

1 W 748
2 IMR 3031
3 H 322
4 H 335
Can any one here lead me in a good direction and share with me some of your loads that you are using? Thanks for all of the help. 336A.

P.S. Has any one tried the loads that are given by Paco or Jim Taylor at leverguns.com that are listed in the Articles.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
335 and 322 are two of my favorites for the .30-30 cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
15,948 Posts
336A said:
Hello rifleman,
I have been pouring over my reloading books lately trying to find the best overall powder to start with. I am trying to find a powder that will give good velocities with the Speer 130 -170 gr bullets. So I am hoping that all of you here could help me out with my problem. So far the powders that I am considering are;

1 W 748
2 IMR 3031
3 H 322
4 H 335
Can any one here lead me in a good direction and share with me some of your loads that you are using? Thanks for all of the help. 336A.

P.S. Has any one tried the loads that are given by Paco or Jim Taylor at leverguns.com that are listed in the Articles.
I have a Marlin® 336 I bought new in 76. I have tried a lot of different loads and have the best success with IMR3031. The best; most accurate load IN MY GUN is:

Win Case
WinLR Primer
30.0gr IMR3031
170gr Hornady® FP

YMMV.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: I spent some time experimenting with bullets and powder with my sons marlin 30-30AI. We tried most common options and settled for the 130 grain Speer Hot cor and IMR3031 powder. In his rifle this is a deer slaying combination for sure. Good luck, BestLever

·
Registered
50 Posts
isn't that 130 gr bullet a bit light for deer?
I use a good charge of 3031 it doesn't flow threu the powder measure as smooth as some other powders but once loaded under a 170 gr bullet it is a deer stopper

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
3031 for 50+years

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi there 336A,
If velocitie is what your looking for 748 is your powder with 150-170gr bullets.H322 comes in a real close second for the 150gr.but when used for the 170gr bullet its almost 100 fps slower.
As for the 130gr speer I use AA2460 and RX7 with good results but use H4895 for cold weather hunting with both the 130-150 gr bullet.Ball powder and Rx7 are sensitive to temp changes and will give you lower velocitie.The H322 and H4895 are part of Hodgdon`s Extreme powder line and have little to no change in velocitie from a change in temp.
IMR3031 is a fine powder for the 30-30 and many people love it but,it throws 150-170gr bullets around 100 fps slower than 748 and just like the fore mentioned it too is temp sensitive.
I like to look at velocitie when i pick a powder for any given cartridge.sometimes its works out to be the best and sometime it dosen`t.
100 to 200fps isnt going to kill them any faster.Dead is dead.Just make sure you put that bullet were it counts.
you might want to look into the new Hodgdon 4 packs that you can get that have 4 powders for the price of one.It can save you some cash when looking for a powder that will work for you.
Good luck
Riflemen10x

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rifleman 10x,
Thank you for the advice on the different powders, I will have to see if I can get that experimental pack. Although if I can't I will get W 748. A buddy let me use his Hodgdon manual and when I was comparing the different powders It gave near top end velocities with lower pressures. I am not trying to hot load by any means and do not want to stress the action unnesserially either so I think I give W 748 a try. 336A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since no one mentioned it, Vihta Vuori 140 N is another powder worth looking into some time. I use 3031 as well, but the Vihta Vuori is a better powder when you live where it snows one day and shines warm the next.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well 34 gr. of H4895 with a 170 hornady bullet puts a big buck down with a = or -hundred yard shot. So I quickly stayed with the mix since it is working so well in a Marlin micro grove .
Happy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quite a while ago, I had read an article by Paco Kelly regarding the use of BL-C(2) for the 30/30. If you look at the reloading tables for the BL-C(2) powder, you'll see the maximum load is well under the rifles max. pressure. The max. load, I believe, and I'm doing this from memory, was 36.0 gr. giving a velocity of 2227 FPS with a 170 gr. FN bullet. The load was about 2000 CUP under the rifles max. so Paco was loading them past this recommended max. and getting more velocity than had been previously done. I have been using the BL-C(2) powder, but keeping the loads to the listed max. for the powder and using 170 gr. Sierra bullets.
Big Blue

·
Registered
482 Posts
I stumbled on to H4895 recently it is what I have been using in .308. In the past I have used both H335 and BL-C2 in a (ducking) Win 94. Which I no longer own. So when I bought my 336A I used what I had on hand. Yesterday I put three you could hide under a quater at 50yds, with open sights. My starting load was 30Grs using a Sierra 170. I guess because it shoots wo well its my ending load also. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts