Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite brand of *BOUGHT* 45/70 ammo that seems to works best in *your* 45/70?

Remington Express? Winchester Super X? Other?

Is there any one particular brand of ammo that your 45/70 does not seem to like(as in poor loading or ejection) or that seems to give problems in Marlin 45/70 rifles?

Please note Model of 45/70 and DOM

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Reactions: mattusmc

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I like the Win 300 gr. Silvertip in my Remlin 1895, although the LE stuff shoots well too.

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I buy the cheapest and shoot them for reloading, usually is rem corelokt but also like the federal fusion. I never mess with the gummy tips as they are too expensive and brass is useless for reloading cast......................

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
hsm 405 gr rnfp cowboy action smooth as silk. #2 would be remington 405 gr RNSP. lever evolution shoots high as in 3-4 inches higher than the remington 405 rnsp and the group is alot wider. the winchester 300 gr silvertip just does not seem to maintain a good grouping. i am shooting out of a marlin 1895 LTD II, 24" octagon barrel, pistol grip stock, holds 8 + 1.
kurtis

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
LE is the only one I've used so far. Just took delivery of two boxes of HSM 430gr +P Bear Loads, and one coming from a fellow member that I hope to try this weekend (weather permitting). The LE runs good, and hope the same can be said for the HSM.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just took delivery of two boxes of HSM 430gr +P Bear Loads, and one coming from a fellow member that I hope to try this weekend (weather permitting). The LE runs good, and hope the same can be said for the HSM.
I shot some HSM and let me tell ya THEY WERE AWESOME! KABOOM(X5) left an awesome bruise on my shoulder! Not for the faint of heart( mind you I am 5'8" and 145 wet so do the math)!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Wait.... you can actually BUY complete ammo, all put together already?
I always thought ammo was something that was chosen by recipe, not by catalog number.
Complete ammo would be pretty convenient, but not nearly as interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
My LGS gave me a pretty good discount on some Magtech 405gr Cowboy Action Loads. I like them for punching holes in plates and ringing dingers. My 1895LTD still has the old (2000 dom) follower, so it hangs on the last round if I shoot the Leverevolution gummy tips, but I sure like how the 325gr FTX shoots. If I was taking it hunting that would be the sore bought load that I would go with.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always thought ammo was something that was chosen by recipe, not by catalog number.
Well, I haven't yet bought 45/70 dies ,want to target practice a bit...and can always save the brass..... LOL

Thought I'd buy a few different brands of 20 rd boxes of ammo . So far have Remington Express 300 grain SJHP and a Winchester Super X 300 grain JHP, and haven't fired either yet.

I noticed a slight diffrnce in the base rim, and was wondering if any specific brand lever loaded better/worse. I have aMarlin 1895CB 45/70 Gov'twith the 26" tapered octagonal barrel. Been tempted to try some 500 grain rounds or at least 405 grain rounds. figured Iget a few boxes of 180 grain, next time, for target practice .

Just looking for advice on what Brand of 45/70 *NOT* to buy if there is one/any.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I prefer HSM over pretty much anything else. Leverlution is ok haven't shot
a lot of it. I also have Federal Power Shok 300gr.
But hands down the HSM whether it's the 430 grain bear loads or their
405 grain cowboy loads works great for me.
I'll probably buy a case of HSM Cowboy loads for silhouette shooting, if
I could find any.
It's very accurate and less powerful than the Bear Loads.
The bear loads might damage the steel plates at less than 200 yards.
For Hunting Deer or Bear the 430gr should work great.
Too bad they only make it during hunting season.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
The LE works great for me. But loading them is tricky, unless you are reusing LE cases. Not tricky I guess, but you have a different trim length with the LE.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Well Id not buy Lever Evo, the brass is too short to reload normal bullets in them.

The closest my 1895 has had to store bought was when I got it, the guy gave one full box, and one box with 8 shot up. They were way to nasty, so I de=powdered them, and reloaded them the way I like.

As far as reloading stuff for the 45/70 K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I've posted this pic before but since it IS relevant to the post...

As Forrest Gump would say: "And that's all I've got to say about that."

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Funny you added that to the conversation. We bought a pile of factory ammo before deciding to reload. No real clue which would be best, but we expected fun finding out. I do like the Silvertip, but not the resulting brass. We still have quite a bit of LE, but the brass goes into a bag for "emergency use only" if we ever run out of the good stuff. The factory stuff we have on hand is now plinking ammo and brass savers--except for two boxes of Garrett Hammerheads--those are for the first elephant I find...

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Buffalo Bore 350gr FN (speer hot cores) were the most accurate out my GS. The slower fodder was just average ie.. the remington 300gr and 405gr green box, and the federal fusion 300gr were about the same. Never shot the Leverevolutions before, but have heard they shot well from other's. My reloads now mimic the BB 350's and Shoot as well if not better.
JB

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remington corelokt 405gn SP. Shoots well and kills things dead and you get good brass to reload.
That is another subject I was wondering... is all brass used in 'store bought" ammo, just as good a quality as the next brand , to use for reloading ?

Or do some companies use inferior brass that doesn't reload well?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts