Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite 356 load and how good will it shoot. What have you shot with it and how did it perform.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Hey there Treehugger. I have a Winchester 356. From people that have discussed this with me, the Winchester will take pressures differently than will the Marlin. I prefer Marlins, but in this case, the Winchester works fine. I have tried many loads, and found many worked just fine. My go to load is 200gr. Rem. Core Lokt (RN), with 49gr. of H335. This according to Hodgden brings velocity to somewhere around 2250, and this was way wrong for my gun. I use Win. brass and WLR primers. Velocity is around 2480 to 2500. H4198, H322 worked very well also. Hodgden told me that is safe and that I should not worry about the higher velocity. This tells me there is more pressure, but that my gun could easily take it. No pressure signs in the least have shown up. The data is old, and Hodgden claims that it was all way under pressure to begin with. A new gun this year, it has only been tried on a bunny, and a varmint or two. I have no doubt it will be good hog medicine next month when Big Medicine takes it hog hunting.

G

·
I use the 200gr Winchester factory loads.

I've got a 336ER and a 94AE and they shoot about the same.

Shooting at paper, I can easily shoot and repeat 1.5" groups at 100yds, and 3"-4" groups at 200yds.

I've shot white-tail deer, black bear, feral hogs, and a cow elk with the ER. Every shot achieved complete penetration, every animal fell where or near where it stood, and I've not yet needed a second shot.

I've not yet hunted with the 94AE, but I have no reason to expect that it would perform any differently.

I'd hunt anything with it. Really.

:D

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Treehugger ? .....Not related to Al Gore are you?....just kidding!
I just started loading for a 336ER a few months ago, so I can't relate any first hand experience on game in the field. I started with the Speer 180 gr. flat point bullet. I reasoned that 180 gr was more than adequate for white tail and black bear, and billistically it won't shed velocity as fast as a round nose. (I shoot 200gr. Hornadys in my 35 Rem.)
Anyway, I started with new Winchester brass CCI primers and AA-2015BR powder.
All velocities are the average of 7 shots.

43.0 grs = 2487 FPS
43.5 grs = 2531 FPS
44.0 grs = 2537 FPS

As you can see, there was little to be gained between the 43.5 & 44.0 load. I attribute that to the 20" barrel length.
Of the 43.5 load, the fastest was 2559 FPS and the slowest was 2498 FPS

I chose the 43.5 gr. load as a hunting load. It was a wee bit tighter in the group it produced, approx 1.5" for a 7 shot string. The 44.0 load had a hi of 2587FPS and a low of 2529 FPS, and it produced a 7 shot group of approx 1.5-2".......
I should detail the 43.0 load for you also, the 43.0 load produced a high of 2499FPS and a low of 2481...truley the best std deviation,and also a 7 shot group of approx 1.5"
As I stated earlier, I chose the 43.5 gr load at 2531 AVG FPS...I think it makes good use of the powder in the 20" barrel.

It will be interesting to see what others do with a 180 Speer flat point bullet.

Good hunting,

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am waiting on my Marlin 356ER .... :p :p .... beside acquiring empty brass and ammo for this caliber I was sent dies for a 358. Apparently seller used these RCBS 358 dies for reloading 'my'...Marlin 356ER...

Using 358 dies...is this correct?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
My Lee dies say 356/358 and yes, they are appropriate. The 356 of course is rimmed, and takes a different shell holder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts