Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I traveled up to New Yorkistan to visit our son and family in Syracuse, NY for the Thanksgiving holiday. Didn't expect to see this much snow so soon--but---I ain't in the Olde Dominion now and these things do happen up north!
20191202_073759_V2.jpg An unusual sight for a Virginny boy, snow covering up ones license plate
20191202_073736_V2.jpg Went out twice to help sonny boy shovel during the past 24 hours
20191129_112558_V2.jpg At least I got to bore sight a new scope for my grandson's 1971 Mod 336 30-30

Haven't seen this much snow since 1993-1994 during may last year of being stationed at Ft Wainwright, AK. I was shocked to see New Yorkians driving around with a foot of snow on top of their cars. I know they know better--especially since they live and work in this stuff more than me!

·
Super Moderator
25,758 Posts
Well Jay, at least it's clean dirt. LOL

I believe we were hammered with snow by the storm that is now dumping that white dirt on you. Fortunately, it warmed up a few days later and turned to rain. But it has poured rain for the past 36 hours and won't stop until tomorrow.

At least we're not crispy dry anymore so when the wind blows PGE isn't cutting our power. And to think a week ago we were enjoying mid to upper 60's and sunny weather. Then snap, full on winter!

Your grandson appears to be quite happy with that Marlin.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well Jay, at least it's clean dirt. LOL

I believe we were hammered with snow by the storm that is now dumping that white dirt on you. Fortunately, it warmed up a few days later and turned to rain. But it has poured rain for the past 36 hours and won't stop until tomorrow.

At least we're not crispy dry anymore so when the wind blows PGE isn't cutting our power. And to think a week ago we were enjoying mid to upper 60's and sunny weather. Then snap, full on winter!

Your grandson appears to be quite happy with that Marlin.

Jack
My son will be taking some leave from his Army duties right after Christmas. The plan for my son and grandson is to hunt with me in VA for 3-4 days in late December. We hope to get the new Bushnell Trophy 2-7X sighted in for my grandson during that time. He hasn't been through a hunters safety course yet--so he will be an observer only. My son had my grandson signed up for a course last year in KY but the Army had other plans. My son was sent to the US Army Recruiter school and got transferred to NY. Hopefully he can get to a safety course next year.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool!

Just think of Louisiana people! A little ice on road and fools crash for nothing!

ca'jun56
First saw that in TX when I was stationed at Ft. Hood some 20 years ago. Just a few inches of that white stuff shut everything down.

·
Super Moderator
25,758 Posts
He'll like that Trophy scope, my 444P came with a Trophy 1.5-4 and the glass is decent enough for me.

I bet your grandson can hardly wait to hunt with you, Jay. That will be an extra special hunt when he does, especially if he gets his first deer with grandpa! :biggrin:

Jack

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He'll like that Trophy scope, my 444P came with a Trophy 1.5-4 and the glass is decent enough for me.

I bet your grandson can hardly wait to hunt with you, Jay. That will be an extra special hunt when he does, especially if he gets his first deer with grandpa! :biggrin:

Jack
I have a Bushnell Trophy DOA ML scope on my CVA 50 cal inline---its an exceptional scope that has allowed me to take three deer with that rifle. Got it factory refurbished which gave me a 70% discount compared to a new one at the time. Got a 50% discount on this 2-7X Trophy scope on Amazon during a sale on Bushnell items--the glass is very clear with no blurriness on the various mag settings. I think my grandson is going to love that scope! My grandson has hunted with me before as an observer---it will be even better when he is a full fledged hunter.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to Upstate NY ! We get anywhere between 100-200” most winters.
I grew up in eastern WA state--right up against the foothills of the Rockies, so I am very familiar with the white stuff. Tours in Germany and AK made sure I didn't forget what white dirt is--but I am glad to not have to deal with it that much anymore!

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ret_Eng,

My grandaughter's husband told me he passed the Virginia Hunter Safety Course on line. Can your grandson do that for a Virginia hunt, and is he too young?
I will have to look into that--the only stickler might be that he is not living in VA.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
First saw that in TX when I was stationed at Ft. Hood some 20 years ago. Just a few inches of that white stuff shut everything down.
I came to Texas in feb 82, that winter I was watching the clouds at work my boss said don't worry Yankee it only snows a couple of inches it will be gone by 10:00 am
18" & a week later. I swear they was only 1 snow plow in Tx it was in Dallas broke down, I was in Lubbock!
Jay thats why I stayed in Texas, that white stuff & black ice.

·
Premium Member
10,469 Posts
Welcome to Upstate NY ! We get anywhere between 100-200” most winters.
Mr. Shawlerbrook,

It sounds to me like you're not too far from Old Forge..............That little town should be coming alive now.............

OH,...........I just cleared my driveway of 1+ inch of snow and ice............OK, I've seen it, and moved it..........Can I now be through with it for the year ?

Tom

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Actually, I am at 1700’ between Syracuse and Binghamton. Old Forge has broken 200” a few winters. They average about 170”. We are in the sweet spot where we get both lake effect and Nor’easters.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I came to Texas in feb 82, that winter I was watching the clouds at work my boss said don't worry Yankee it only snows a couple of inches it will be gone by 10:00 am
18" & a week later. I swear they was only 1 snow plow in Tx it was in Dallas broke down, I was in Lubbock!
Jay thats why I stayed in Texas, that white stuff & black ice.
Yeah--TX does have the warm weather in spades--but when snow/ice shows up---expect everything to shut down. TX can also have "boomerang" weather in the winter. I remember coming back from a January field exercise at North Ft Hood with the temps in the 20s, a week later--the temp hit 100.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, I am at 1700’ between Syracuse and Binghamton. Old Forge has broken 200” a few winters. They average about 170”. We are in the sweet spot where we get both lake effect and Nor’easters.
I got lucky at Ft Wainwright during 1992-1994 as I experienced two "light" AK winters. Snow fall during that time didn't top a 200 inch total. The big difference up in AK is that the snow doesn't melt--once it falls--it stays the whole winter with very little melting--if at all.

Reactions: shawlerbrook
1 - 20 of 33 Posts