Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one of these last week. It appears to be storage for about a dozen 22.rf rounds so you can load a tube magazine quickly. Looks like a hollow arrow tube with aluminum ends, one of which comes of. I'd say home made except for the fine checkering on the removable end. Pretty old.
Never seen a commercial ad for one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like a speed loader for a tube fed to me. Where'd ya get it?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seen some of those back in the 80's, speed loader for tube fed 22's dont remember the company that marketed them may have seen them in Survival Magazine ;D ;

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can make your own with clear plumber's tubing and plastic end caps from Lowe's, corks from Hobby Lobby, and super glue. The tubing comes in a roll; just cut the length you want, plug up one end, fill 'er up with your favorite .22s, and put a cork in it. Ready to go to the range.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it from an old WWII vet whom I am selling two .22 rifles for. An old Savage and a Marlin Plainfield 60. Came to me through a friend who is helping him so no explanation. Seems like a pain to carry as mentioned. easy to fall on or bend.
Someone had a reason and an idea, I guess. jp

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Lots of folks have the modern version of that, a plastic tube with 8 smaller tubes around its circumference, each one holding 15 rounds of 22 LR. (I forget who makes it.) The endcap is held by an internal spring, allowing you to speed-feed rounds into a tubular magazine using gravity. I use mine with my Henry 22.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Thats got to be a dangerous job, working in a shooting gallery. Just got to thinking about it and I bet some people have never seen a shooting gallery. I used to try and spend all my Dad's money when I was a youngster shooting out the red dot. It looks so simple.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes perfect sense. I guess I'll put it up for auction and see who salutes. Must be some shooting gallery collectors out there. Get this old vet I'm working with some more bucks. j

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
papajohn said:
Lots of folks have the modern version of that, a plastic tube with 8 smaller tubes around its circumference, each one holding 15 rounds of 22 LR. (I forget who makes it.) The endcap is held by an internal spring, allowing you to speed-feed rounds into a tubular magazine using gravity. I use mine with my Henry 22.
PJ,
I have one, exactly like you describe.......Mine is a MARLIN Spee-D-loader. They are said to be very collectible now.

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I'm thinking the one I have is from Butler Creek. $15 or so, and very handy. It holds 120 rounds, but like all of them, it empties a lot faster than it loads! :D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Tomray said:
PJ,
I have one, exactly like you describe.......Mine is a MARLIN Spee-D-loader. They are said to be very collectible now.

Tom
In Brophy's book (page 178) they show a copy of an 1892 catalog illustrating the caliber .22 Loading Tube much like what your picture shows.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
1895Gunner said:
In Brophy's book (page 178) they show a copy of an 1892 catalog illustrating the caliber .22 Loading Tube much like what your picture shows.
Gnner,

No, the one I have, has a spout that dumps the ammo straight down the end of the mag tube, after pulling out the inner tube assembly. It is made just as PJ described.

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
This is the one I have. There's no name on it anywhere, but I bought it out of a catalog a couple years ago for $15-18. It holds 120 rounds of 22 LR, 15 in each of 8 tubes around the circumference. A spring that runs down the center holds the cap with the spout in place, and you just turn it to a new opening to gravity-feed the ammo into your tube magazine. Works fine. 8)

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
papajohn said:
This is the one I have. There's no name on it anywhere, but I bought it out of a catalog a couple years ago for $15-18. It holds 120 rounds of 22 LR, 15 in each of 8 tubes around the circumference. A spring that runs down the center holds the cap with the spout in place, and you just turn it to a new opening to gravity-feed the ammo into your tube magazine. Works fine. 8)

PJ,

That's exactly what I have. Mine says Marlin Spee-D-loader on the back (flat) end.

Tom

·
Registered
849 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts