Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
It is a 30 caliber loading tool which may have a bullet mold built in, pic of the other side would confirm.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
They used to call that a "tong tool" because they look like a pair of tongs. Lyman, Ideal, and possibly several others built these. Very much an antique. Also called a nutcracker.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
A Google search may show you how it works. This predates the Lee Loader, but completed the same tasks.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Yup an old hand reloading tool. Closest thing to it today is the Lyman 310. For those not familiar with the Lyman 310, do a Google search for "Lyman 310 Shop." Shop has handles, dies, replacement parts, etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
CJ, That is a Winchester 1882 loading tool and I believe it it is probably marked 32 WCF not 30 WCF. The 1894 tool was made for the 30 WCF and is a completely different tool. The Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association forum should have more information on these old tools. Incidentially Winchester quit selling reloading about 1914 so yours is at least 100 years old

·
Registered
142 Posts
After watching the video of the 1884 tool being used I should add a couple of notes. Winchester also sold bullet molds and they were the correct diameter and weight for the cartridge with the crimp groove in the right place. Also when sold new they would had a decapping which went in the bullet seating chamber and had a flaring tool built in to flare the case mouth at the same time as the fired case was being decapped. Kit also would have contained a powder scoop or as it was called back in the day a charge cup. These days you very seldom one of those tools with the decapping pin and charge cup. Neat old tools with nothing to get out of adjustment.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I also learned something today because of this thread. Thanks for sharing with us. Never seen one before.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CJ, That is a Winchester 1882 loading tool and I believe it it is probably marked 32 WCF not 30 WCF. The 1894 tool was made for the 30 WCF and is a completely different tool. The Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association forum should have more information on these old tools. Incidentially Winchester quit selling reloading about 1914 so yours is at least 100 years old
Yeah, it was a 32 WCF, not 30. I was interested if it was 32 special, but I think that's 32 -20. I did not buy it Because I don 't have a 32-20 - it was $35 I think. Had no Ideal marking, probably was Winchester.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Most of the Winchester reloading tools had a patented hook on the handle that pulled the cartridge back out of the die. Winchester's Vice President, T. G. Bennett discovered that the some unknown Browning Brothers of Ogden Utah, was making a reloading tool very similar to the one that Winchester was selling. The browning tool had the patented extractor hook, a definite patent violation. Bennett took a train to Ogden to get these Browning guys educated and to file lawsuit if needed. In discussing the issue with John Browning, Browning mentioned that he had just completed construction of a new rifle. Of course, Bennett wanted to see it and as they say "the rest is history". The new Browning rifle was an exciting new lever gun that Bennett bought immediately. Winchester began production as soon as possible and called the new rifle the Model of 1886. So began a relationship of the two companies that last to this day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts