Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Savage receiver with a Winchester Barrel on a make offer table no other details known. I checked the barrel using a bore sighter and the 25 caliber rod fits. Slugged the barrel and came up with .252 at the crown. I had a variety of unloaded cases and found a 30 Harriet case would chamber (cut down 30-30) had some 32 Special cases so checked them and decided to try necking one down, used my 25-36 die and found that at 1.955 it crimped the end of the case when loaded with no bullet. Cut it back to that length with the trimmer and it chambers fine. So is this a modified 25-35, I know they are .282 neck diameter 2.04 case, 2.53 loaded ???? A 250 Savage (250-3000) is about the right case length but was tried and did not chamber, probably the neck diameter of .286. A 25apc would be .251 the rest are .257. Any thoughts on wildcats that may have been made? Don't have any lead in the right size so will have to pick some up to try. Any thoughts apreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If at all possible take it to a gunsmith and set a chamber cast made up and then you will be able to tell what it is.

·
Registered
957 Posts
.252 screams ".25 Stevens barrel". Winchester used a different nomenclature, maybe .25-15. Check the twist rate. A slow twist of 1-14" or 1-16" would make it certain.

You did not say what kind of Savage action. If it's a 99, the mag spools are case specific, and it would pretty much have to be .25-35 or .25-36.

My guess is that someone rechambered a pulled .25 Stevens barrel to .25-25. It was not a good idea at the time because of the difference in bullet diameter and it still ain't. You could get Lee to make a custom sizer of .254 and size down cast to to work if you can buy it for an action only price.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. After slugging the barrel on the Savage 99, I finally realized there were no lans and grooves, the slug was almost perfectly round. So did a mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide(sp?) plugged the barrel and poured it in after 13 minutes poured it out, man was there a lot of gunk, then rinsed with near boiling water, ran a bore brush through about 10-12 times, it came out really dark with gunk so did the whole thing over again, this time brush came out clean, bore is now .257 and a 250 savage (250-3000) chambers just fine. Apperently the chamber was so gunked at the throat was the reason it wouldn't chamber berfore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts