Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some advice fellers. i have a chance to buy this model 1895 in 40-82, he said the bore is excellent. it was made in 1896, a 26in barrel. this is the same man i just bought my 38-55 from, he is an honest man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I’m by no means an expert on prices so I can’t offer any help. It’s a great looking firearm. Good luck with your acquisition.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i don't know either. if it wasen't a 40-82 i would have a real good idea, but with that caliber i don't know for sure,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the man wants 2500.00 for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Probably not a crazy price, especially given the times.

Reactions: OLSKOOL and Kendawg

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
This one just sold on a popular auction site this past April.

This is a gorgeous original Model 1895 Marlin in .40-82. tight action and is just plain awesome. Manufactured in 1898.

215EA991-CBFD-4B9E-B999-0ADDDC6BE880.jpeg

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one just sold on a popular auction site this past April.

This is a gorgeous original Model 1895 Marlin in .40-82. tight action and is just plain awesome. Manufactured in 1898.

View attachment 845877
well that gun is much cleaner than the one i am looking at, and it has a Hepburn sight. that puts it over the top! so that being said the one i am asking about should be worth 2000-2500, a lot of money for me on a want. LOL,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I was into that vintage of rifle from 2008 to 2018 and the prices peaked in 2011 and have been plummeting relative since then. The truth is there aren't that many old pharts like us around that appreciate these old rifles anymore and many are being sold off as their owners are either dying or too old to care anymore. For a reloader like yourself it won't sting to shoot. I sold off most of, not all, of my antique vintage stuff. That rifle ten years ago was a 2500 to 3500 rifle all day long, in this day and age I wouldn't get into it for more than 1800 as an investment and no more than 2200 as a shooter. JMHOYMMV

·
Registered
454 Posts
Heck, nearly 25 years ago I bought my 1895 in 40-82, slightly rougher overall, but good and solid. Price was $1100 then. If I were selling the one you're looking at I would be asking exactly what he is, $2500. 1895's do not grow on trees, and excellent mechanics and bore are harder to find to begin with. I'd say it's a fair price if it checks out when you look it over.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
i need some advice fellers. i have a chance to buy this model 1895 in 40-82, he said the bore is excellent. it was made in 1896, a 26in barrel. this is the same man i just bought my 38-55 from, he is an honest man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 845857 View attachment 845858 View attachment 845859 View attachment 845860

If you can pick it up reasonably, I know $2K is not a comfortable number, shoot it for a few years for enjoyment then sell it for a return on your investment is never a bad decision. If you keep it, a very collectable and valuable asset for the estate. The cartridge is desirable to a collector especially in unmolested condition. Consider the additional expenses in dies, mold, etc in your decision.

All antiques I have purchased and sold over the years when with the dies, molds, load data, and targets as proof of accuracy. Your enjoyment in finding the best combination for accuracy will return value if you want to sell in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
the man wants 2500.00 for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That's the going rate in U.S. dollars for a rifle such as you show in your photograph. Brass is easy to acquire or make. Bullet moulds are available and the calibre speaks with great authority using a 300 grain bullet. Model 1895's are heavy and like Model 1893's on steroids. They were never really popular and sat in inventory a long time before selling. Always a collector's and shooter's item as only about 5000 Model 1895's were built. Pick it up before it sells.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
2500 seems a little high to me. Like Eric posted above, the old vintage stuff like this topped out awhile ago. Just look at Gunbroker regularly and you see that. The "newer" Marlins are bringing ridiculous money but the antique stuff has been stagnant for awhile. I think 1800-2000 is more in line with today's market for old stuff. As much as we all like these things, the demand now is for newer stuff. Who'd ever think a few years ago that Remlin made Marlins would be selling for 3k or more? Yet these old guns just sit and get relisted over and over again when they have prices at or over 2k.
I wish I could find a 40-82. I got an original box of ammo that needs a mate!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ol Skool,

Well I went to $2065 recently 2 days ago for an 1895 in 45-90 on GB. Came in 2nd. With shpg/hdlg/taxes and transfer fees, it would have been circa $2300 in the hand. Bore was so so and the mag tube had been shortened. So I'd suggest the seller is about right if the bore is really nice, and certainly looks clean. Personally I'd want it to be "Special Smokeless" stamped. Better barrel steel.

You'd be saving on all the fees and taxes presumably. Not a bargain, but fair enuff in my estimation.

Good luck Mike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts