Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would love to see some of you guy's antique, / Old ammunition that you collect.

Pics would be great also

thanks

HC

Reactions: M700 and moofy07

·
Registered
395 Posts
well I am NOT really a collector of old ammo, but over the yrs I seem to have collected a lot of it by accident
mostly from buying old guns from old folks, and them giving me all the old ammo they had, as they wanted it gone
I have big cardboard boxes of it stuck here and there through out my house and garages
some is in very good shape some is on well boxes falling apart, and teh brass getting green and lead looking iffy?
wish I would have taken better care of some of it, but things just pile up and didn';t have time to spend taking care of it

sorry I still cannot get pic's to show up?????? or would post a few I have handy
not sure what I am doing wrong or??

·
Super Moderator
16,878 Posts
These came into my hands a couple years ago, from what I'm told here these are maybe 100 years old? Rotated the pic on the right so it would be easier to read. Mr fixit
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Cylinder Metal
Product Water Close-up Metal

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Reactions: BGR and moofy07

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Take a look at this page on Marlin Owners.
There are hundreds of photos of many collections there, including a few of mine. But what you see of mine on that forum is just a start. It has all changed now to many more display cases and additional hundreds of boxes and singles. I may get around to updating my photos there some time this Summer.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/c...ficial-cartridge-collector-photo-gallery.html

`57

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My bullet collection consists of ONE 1873 UMC 45/70 round
Yes Pard, Thats the way my collection started in the early 1950s, just one little cartridge, now it has exceeded over 2,000 singles and several hundred boxes.
The bug has bitten you and your collection will expand faster than you can believe. It's addicting.
`57

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
5 Posts
These came into my hands a couple years ago, from what I'm told here these are maybe 100 years old? Rotated the pic on the right so it would be easier to read. Mr fixit
View attachment 102312 View attachment 102313
The shorter cartridge looks to be a 50-70 inside primed centerfire example. The crimp near the bottom of the case holds the priming components in place. These were one of the earliest transitional cartridges when everything started moving from rimfire to centerfire. Probably dates to the late 1860s or early 1870s. Nice example!

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Hard to say what the oldest is......but probably this "teat-fire" example, which is from the late 1860's.

This one, in 32 caliber, was obviously a misfire. They were also made in 45 caliber, but I've never seen one.

Then there's the 17-caliber gallery round.......probably early 1900's, but that's a guess. The one on the right is a standard 22 LR.

Apparently these tiny shotshells were promotional items from the ammomakers......I always thought they'd be handy for women who hate spiders.

Reactions: 1956CJ5 and moofy07
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.