Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What is the most rare Marlin Lever out there?

22K views 136 replies 78 participants last post by  bsromo 
#1 ·
What is the most rare Marlin Lever out there? What is the one in your collection that is most rare you have.

#104 ·
I don't know the answer but I bet it's butt ugly if the most rare is from the last 20-25 years.

#112 ·
I have several Marlins and like them all. But my favorite, even though not particularly rare, is a .32/40 single shot made on Jan. 20, 1890. I wrote Marlin when I was 8 years old asking them about it, and they answered! No money or even an SASE. I am 70 now and I know the history of the gun from when it sold new to the present day. It has stayed within a 15 mile radius.

#120 ·
#121 ·
Well I’ll post a picture of a rack of older Marlins that some of you fellas might enjoy, these
Plant Wood Tree Gas Tints and shades
older Marlins are showing up less all the time. The 1888’s I believe had a total run of 4818 in the three pistol calibers, since I took this pic I found a nice one in 32/20, they were the scarcest , 1296 made. the 1895’s to are tough to find, the old ones, never owned one of the New generation 95’s, know nothing about them. Well here goes , hope it comes through

#128 ·
I also have a 1881 in 40-60 Serial Num 181. Yep three digit it is in excellent condition for its age. I also have about 4 or 5 1895's one is a 40-82 Deluxe Take down in great condition.

I have the Zipper & the Bee, and a nickel plated 39A with a fantastic stock and gold trigger. I was told you had to be a Marlin employee to get this rifle, probably a myth LOL. I have the hexagon barrel special addition 39A with about three or four others.

All told I probably have about 40 Marlins, been collecting them for 55 years. I started collecting them by caliber. Yeah waffle tops, Perch Bellies, 410 shot gum I believe 1935 and more. I think 12 or 13 are over 100 years old.

Maybe if some one would come along and buy the whole collection I would be tempted ...LOL

WS

#137 ·
Have an old '92 in 32 center fire/rimfire with the original second firing pin which I don't see much anymore ...... especially the 32 rimfire ammo :(

Also have a 92 takedown that is silver plated in 44/40 smoothbore - it has a twin out there somewhere but couldn't afford both of them at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.