Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 22 mag. It is the heavy barrel stainless with lamanated stock. A friend of mine has one and is is real accurate. I can't get mine to shoot better than 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. I shot several other guns, 257 weath.,270wsm and 300 SAUM and shot good groups with them so I know it was not my shooting. I have tried 5 different types of ammo and 2 different scopes. I hardly ever get rid of a gun but I am about ready to trade this one. I expect a good 22 mag. to shoot 1" to 1 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Now can someone tell me what the most accurate 22 magnum they have shot is? I like the winchester leveraction but I am affraid it may not be any more accurate. I have heard very good things about the CZ bolt action rimfires. The Marlin bolt actions are suppose to shoot good but most of them have hard trigger pulls. I want to stay under $500. If anybody has any helpful info, please pass it on.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ruger barrels are known for their "hit or miss" accuracy. A good move might be to get a hold of Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co. (www.gmriflebarrel.com) and get a replacement barrel. All of their barrels are air-gaged and stress relieved. They have several barrel configurations for the Ruger 77/22M and they do shoot well. I replaced my 77/17M barrel with a "running boar" style 17HMR barrel. My 50M groups went from 1.5" to a bug hole with no more effort than twisting an allen wrench and sanding the slightest bit of clearance in the stock. They are a darned near a 'drop-in' fit. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The V block bbl mounting system on the 77, and the 10-22 will give poor results if the allen head bolts are not TIGHT. The check for this is cheap- all you need is the proper size allen key. 10-22's have been known to ship from Ruger with loose mounting bolts....

The USRAC 94-22-M is an accurate little carbine- I haven't benched mine at 100 yet, but it is capable of .5" at 50 m with little effort on my part. The only ammo it seems to dislike is the maxi mag + v.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you still have the Ruger 22 mag, Beartooth Bullets offers a tech guide that has a section on fire lapping guns. In that section, it talks about fire lapping 22s and 22 mags. Per the author, it is very easy and makes them very accurate. Another option is purchasing a carbon steel replacement barrel. Our local gun shop has them for $129 plus tax. A side benefit is a big weight reduction in the gun.

I owned a Ruger 10/22 mag and my brother owned a 10/22 mag. Both guns would not eject at least one spent shell per clip. They were sent back to the factory and "fixed", but they kept right on hanging up. We finally traded them for Remington semi-automatic 22 mags. The Remingtons are accurate and no hang-up problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
H & R 700

I have an H & R model 700 that is more accurate than my bolt .22mags. My hope is that it is because they are not broke in yet.

I shoot Remington Premiers in it. Fun!

Wannabe

·
Registered
688 Posts
Contender. I have a 16". Even shoots the CCI with usable accuracy. 1" at 100 with Remington and Federal "premium" stuff.

G

·
I bought a Marlin 25MN, bolt action, 5 round magazines, 2 years ago....surprised the heck out of me! Very Accurate! Best shooting rounds are the Winchester Supreme magnums. We shoot 200 yds with a Tasco 4-16x scope.... mmm.. do like the looks of the Winchester 22 magnum lever gun though. I have the Winchester 9422 Legacy in 22 LR, but...sure isn't the same thing. If anyone has the 22 magnum, or another version lever action, I sure would appreciate hearing about it!

G

·
Had a Remington 597 that wasn't bad, but the trigger sucked :? The only other 22mag I've had is my present 1894M which is alright, but it doesn't drive tacks. It was bought more because they aren't made anymore :D Bought the 597 when it first came out in a magnum. So as you can see I don't have much experience with 22 mags :!: Although I have shot a few that belonged to others.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Playing with mine I only missed by micro on maxing the bdt with it. so I would say the 25 mn is accurate for 22 mag. and most Groundhogs fear it.. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
bowdog
The stock is a richards microfit duel grip thumbhole for a left handed shooter.. in a tigerwood laminat..The rifle is a Marlin 25NM .22 Mag
toped with a Nikon 3x14x40 moa on a BKL mount.. this rifle is a great shooter comming close to .17 accuracy at 75 yards..no custom trigger just polished the factory one ..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a marlin 882ssv i just got and the first 3 shots out of the box were touching each other, i think that is pretty accurate, 25yds of course, but it shocked me that i would shoot groups like that right out of the box. That is will CCI solid points

·
Registered
131 Posts
How accurate do you need it to be. remember more accuracy=more money. My marlin 25mn that I have had for a few years shoots just fine for what I ask of it. I ask 5 shot groups at 100 be covered with a quarter it will do that with a couple of different ammo choices. Kills squirrels at that range too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
25mn.......

my 25mn was free floated, then the trigger spring replaced with a ball point pen spring....now she will do 50 yd groups a dime will cover......all day long, all this with a 6x scope! this was a pawn shop $125 find!
just wish my state allowed rim fire turkey hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have another candidate: My Savage Striker bolt action pistol. At 75 yards it will shoot under half inch with a 2.5X scope and Federal or CCI FMJ ammunition. With a bipod it makes a really handy rig... kind of like a "short rifle" to sling along on hikes.~Andrew

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Marlin 57 lever action .22 mag with the short throw lever. I bought it because I had never seen one, it was my birthday and I wanted the rifle. If I would have known how lousy it shot, I wouldn't have bought the rifle. I have tried several .22 mag cartridges, but none shoot well. I own two Marlin 39s and they shoot like target rifles, even with a less than perfect trigger pull.

·
Registered
719 Posts
my 25mn today.......

:D just to answer you fellows......windy and rainey here in tenn today....but i had not shot the 25mn 22 mag lately......so with armscor 40gr, CCI 40grHP, and federal 30grHP........this is the results, the CCI are THE cartridge for this little cheap~o :wink: rifle....these are at 100yd, w/9X scope....the 30grs went way high, and armscor are all over the bullseye......

the big holes are a swiss 10mm..... :wink:
those are 1" squares......and the CCI right spread is from the 20mph gusty winds! but it'll give me REALWORLD hunting condition groups!
LOOK~OUT bad attack ground hogs!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts