Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go camping, ALOT, and in Northern Michigan we have black bears, and the occasional wolf. (coyotes, bobcats) I know a 45 isnt ideal for dealing with the bears, but I like the extra rounds in the magazine vs the 6 in my model 29. What kind of ammo would you all suggest?

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
I doubt you'll find a heavy HP 45ACP sized bullet that will expand reliabably at 950 FPS or less......At least I'm not aware of one........

I suppose you could opt for one of the jacketed defense bullets, but generally, they are not designed for deep penetration and breaking tough skin and bones.....

I'd choose a 230Gr Hard Cast Lead Bullet with a large Metplat, if you can find one, and run it as fast as safely possible........But make sure your pistol will feed that bullet reliably, too..........

Even with the above load, you're probably developing less than 500 lbs of muzzle energy.

Personally, I use a Delta Elite 10MM loaded with 200 Gr JHP's or 175 Gr LSWC's at a little less than 1200FPS for a woods walking gun.
I admit I haven't thought about wolves in VT, and VT Black Bears seem to shun humans..............So my main concern is grouped up Coyotes and two legged threats........and I've had to contend with both.

Whatever you choose, make sure it runs fast, and is 100% reliable in your pistol........its hard to clear a FTF with a threat still in the game.

Tom

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'd stick with the 29........but, that's just me. I have no experience with bears or wolves, but a 44 mag is the way to go in that situation.....imho. :hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Why Dirty Harry would give up his .44 Mag (unless it was for a .44 AutoMag) is beyond me.

Keep in mind, the possibliity of a life threatening encounter with a black bear in Michigan is extremely remote, but if your arctophopia is uncontrollable....

Michael Mararian - Arctophobia (Fear of Bears)

...the troublemaking black bears you're most likely to encounter in Michigan are the sub-adult males that have been forced from their birthplace by the dominant males in the area, and their own mothers when they are ready to breed again. These bears seldom weigh much more than 150 pounds, certainly less than 200...and they, like the wolves that also concern you...would probably be manageable with any of the heavier (230gr) .45 ACP premium defense rounds available today. Not optimum certainly, but usable.

A good bear-rated pepper spray is a better deterent and may save the life of an inquisitive youngster...and yourself the considerable fines involved. I'd be much more concerned with the two legged predators that may frequent many of our wilderness areas....and for that you are adequately armed.

Roe

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I camp a lot too, and certainly bring my 44mag handy as my primary gun for bears, and keep it under my pillow at night. I also happen to carry a S&W .45, but that mostly in case of dangerous "2-legged wolves" if you know what I mean. Years ago I met a guy while out hunting that had a .45, and in small talk he recommended I have both FMJ's and hollow points staggered one after the other in the magazine for bears if it ever came to having to use it for that, and keep pulling the trigger, lol. Anyway, I'm not sure that is sound advise, never really researched what's best, but for some reason in camp I seem to do what he suggested... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Roe,
Arctophobia ?????????.....:hmmmm::hmmmm:..........? Z'at a word???.... Z'at a U-P Michigan word?........:hmmmm: like Yooper?.... just WHERE do find this kind of stuff?........

No wonder PJ (that guy with the Sombrero? ) holds you in Awe......:biggrin:..Its hard to debate a man who is a Master of the "Vocabulated" word.......:vollkommenauf:

Oh, Back on Topic.............Bear Spray:vollkommenauf:...........Yup, I'd want some of that, too............

"Arctophobia"........ "Arctophobia" ........... I'm gonna' need ta' remember that!........I kin' git some mileage outta' that word.......Thanks!

Tom..........:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Roe,
"Arctophobia"........ "Arctophobia" ........... I'm gonna' need ta' remember that!........I kin' git some mileage outta' that word.......Thanks!
No problem Tom. I've gotten plenty of mileage with it myself...much of it with arctophobes here on this very Forum. :wink:

Roe

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I hate to admit it, but this Dirty Harry doesnt shoot the .44 mag as well as the MP 45.....so thats part of it. (consecutive shots anyway)

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Thanks guys.

I hate to admit it, but this Dirty Harry doesnt shoot the .44 mag as well as the MP 45.....so thats part of it. (consecutive shots anyway)
Hey Harry,

A cast, 230 gr Truncated Cone bullet, with a full charge of Universal Clays will fill the bill.

Reliable in all 45 acp auto's tested. Penetrates to same depth in wet phone books as does the 180 gr TC/FMJ from a "stiff" .357 Mag.

Look here Welcome To Penn Bullets INC.

Solid bear medicine. And "alternating" with the 230 gr +P from Cor Bon, well, life doesn't get any better.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
I own a M&P 45 and have never had any problem with it jamming on any type of ammo. The only problem I have is the trigger is terrible. I hope you have replaced the trigger or practiced a lot with it. I love the gun but I am going to have to put the Apex kit in it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Underwood ammo loads Hornady 230gr XTP's, and claim 1000 fps, but they seem to always be out of stock. Buffalo Bore loads a 230gr fmj fp and claims to get 950 fps, I have shot some of them from my Glock 30 and they feed fine. I don't have any experience with Underwood's 45 acp, but I do shoot their 10mm rounds occasionally.

I ended up stocking up on some Winchester Ranger Bonded when I could find some... their website claims 835 fps, and their testing shows pretty good penetration when compared to other manufacturers, such as Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST.

Hope that helps a little,
Matt

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Roe,
Arctophobia ?????????.....:hmmmm::hmmmm:..........? Z'at a word???.... Z'at a U-P Michigan word?........:hmmmm: like Yooper?.... just WHERE do find this kind of stuff?........

No wonder PJ (that guy with the Sombrero? ) holds you in Awe
Tomray's advice on bullet choice is spot on........but if you really want a factory load, the Hornady Critical Duty (NOT Defense) load should give you plenty of penetration, and IIRC, is available in a Plus-P version as well.

As for holding Roe in awe.............you spelt it wrong.

Where he is concerned, it's "Awwwwww", followed by another word or two that would get me sent to my room!

Reactions: Tomray

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I know nothing about shooting bears but they scare me some. Buffalo Bore markets a 255 swc .45 auto load that clocks an honest 930 fps in my HK USP compact. If I found myself in the company of bears and wolves with a .45, that is what my gun would be stoked with. There is something soothing about a big fat lead bullet with a square shoulder.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own a M&P 45 and have never had any problem with it jamming on any type of ammo. The only problem I have is the trigger is terrible. I hope you have replaced the trigger or practiced a lot with it. I love the gun but I am going to have to put the Apex kit in it.
Mine has been 100% reliable as well. Probably my favorite handgun. :flute: :ahhhhh:

My groups are consitent and good with the stock trigger, though I do plan to get the apex soon. $160 for a handgun trigger sucks though!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
Mine has been 100% reliable as well. Probably my favorite handgun. :flute: :ahhhhh:

My groups are consistent and good with the stock trigger, though I do plan to get the apex soon. $160 for a handgun trigger sucks though!
I agree you can still shoot good groups even with the stock trigger. Try shooting one of your rifles for a while and then pick it up and shoot it. :biggrin: I was at the range with my son and a friend of his and shot the Glenfield 30-30 and then the ar15 for a while before I handed the M&P to them to shoot. Brandon thought it didn't fire and ejected the bullet then the same thing happened. I took it and emptied the magazine into the target. The pull is so long he didn't finish pulling the trigger back after shooting the rifle. I have had to fight shooting low left with the factory trigger being such a long pull. I own a Shield in 9mm and the trigger is better than the one in my 45. I do like shooting the 45 better anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts