Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing all kinds of prices for brass. Lead boolits. Primers. Etc. Acme has brass and book its. Prices vary from site to site. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well it is pretty easy to break down the cost of components to get the answer you are looking for. Just figure the cost of the primer,brass and bullets. As for powder it will depend on what powder you decide to use and the charge weight used in said cartridge. But there is 7000Gr to a Pound. The two expensive parts of a round is powder selection and amount used and bullet selection. Home cast is the cheapest and goes up from there. As for powder if you want cheap I do not think you can beat Unique in cost per round. As for brass just pick up what you feel you will need from say Remington or Starline. Brass will last you many many loadings in the 45-70.

But in the end you may or may not save money. Yes it will cost far less to load your own but you may shoot alot more lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am seeing all kinds of prices for brass. Lead boolits. Primers. Etc. Acme has brass and book its. Prices vary from site to site. Any suggestions?
Holy smokes,I checked Acme's site out when I was looking for brass for the 45-70 and have decided to wait it out to see what else comes up.$72.10 per 100 compared to other listings seem out rages to me.In these times of the lack of components, some are taking advantage of their customers.There cast bullets also show a sized to dim. of .458". Are you not supposed to have cast bullets sized to .459/.460 ? Fortunately,I have enough brass that I bought back in 2005 when it was a whole lot cheaper and so were the bullets and primers.I haven't sat down to figure out what it would cost to load one 45-70 cartridge at today's prices but I would bet you are shooting a few bucks down the range everytime you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Factory remington ammo, at around 40 bucks for 20, maybe a little more is 2 bucks, or better, a pop. If you already have your components its around a dollar a pop maybe even cheaper casting your own bullets. Some of the more nicer ammo with a price to go with it,\. You can get on up there at 2 and a half dollars to three a pop.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Even if you shot factory ammo in your 45-70 it is still cheaper than the majority of factory 12ga saboted slug ammo, and IMO a lot more fun and user friendly.

BB

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Being my stock pile predates the stupid prices of the last 5 years, my 430gr cast boolit, primer and powder is about 9 cents.
With modern prices it would be maybe 15 cents per round

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not including the cost of brass I am reloading with laser cast bullets and imr4198 for 34 cents a round. I was able to grab some starline brass for about 50 cents each. Even on the first go around with the brass it's still way more cost effective than factory... And it packs a wallop!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Track of the Wolf has a decent price ,but I have never bought any new brass or factory loaded stuff . I got all my brass online at various sites and haven't been disappointed. All I bought was "once fired"
That description means that there are markings that can still be read if you study them a bit and the cases have a brass look to them if you tumble them a long time. " lol Seriously ,if I look back at a few posts I can sometimes get a feel if the seller is real people. Prices should gain normalcy as buyers run out of storage space. Wish you the best
Track of the Wolf ----http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/239/1/CASE-45-70-PACK-100

·
Banned
303 Posts
I cast my own bullets for 45-70 and 45-60, and end up spending about 15 cents a round, not counting the initial cost of the case, which can of course be used many times. Yes, I do shoot more than I would if I bought factory ammo, but isn't that what it's all about?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Finding 45-70 brass these days is hit and miss, mostly miss. Checked MidwayUSA, none and Acme was $72 and change/100, then shipping and time. I lucked out, went by LGS just to see how things were going, they are good friends, looked areound and 45-70 brass, $66 and tax/100. Yes I did leave some brass on the shelf, but I got my 100 first. Cast is the way to go for slugs in 45-70, lots cheaper and will down anything on the NA continant. Good luck in your quest, take care, John.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Mine is just over 30 cents per round, The powder I use is H322 so thats 14 cents per by it self...

Doc

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
While home-reloading cost per round can be relatively inexpensive compared to factory or store-bought ammunition, that cost may be misleading especially if you need to initially buy reloading equipment. And over the years, I watched a few potential reloaders back out because of the initial start up expense.

If just starting out, the neophyte reloader needs to consider the initial or start-up cost of reloading equipment. And depending how much he/she shoots, the calibres shot, etc., the cost of the reloading equipment will be quickly paid back.

'Fur zample', I have been a hand loader for 25+ years and reload for numerous rile and pistol calibres, so my initial equipment costs have been recouped many times over. Currently, my .45-2.1" (.45-70 to Those-Not-In-The-Know) loading comprises a 300 hollow point grain jacketed bullet (bulk from Midway) and 25 grains of SR 4759, is slightly under US $.30 per round. Of the $.30 per round, the bullet cost is about $.25. I have never really determined the cost of shooting my Black Powder and Paper Patched .45-2.1" rounds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did a quick calculation on Reloaderhub.com and came up with 42 cents a round for the cost of brass, powder, primer, and boolits. I am using starline brass, 33.0 grains of powder, WLR primers, and laser cast 405 grain boolits.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Since unitl this last week I have not seen any form of rifle powder I have been loading pydroex (RS) in my shells. I bought 250 cast lead bullets from HSM at my Sportsman's warehouse the only place you can find anything it seems. I bought my limit of IMR 4064 and look forward to developing loads when more brass is available. As I will not use brass that I load the RS stuff for smokeless powder. Also the bullets I bought are .457 diameter and the accuracy is okay. My sizing die for casting is also .457 so take that for what it is worth. But after buying brass, Remington Large Rifle Primers all said for a new brass loaded round with the RS runs me about .26 cents per round. As for reloading I would not but a Dillion or Hornady press new as they are really high priced. Dillion has a lifetime warranty. But I went the LEE route and two years ago I bought a loadmaster for around $250 shipped from midwayusa. I have a Lee Loadmaster and two 6 cavity molds in .452 for .45 acp 230 grain round nose. And 2 in .457 for the .45-70 which is also LEE. Point is it may not have a lifetime warranty and it hates Winchester primers they explode. But Remington or CCI I prefer so once my crappy win primers are gone back to Remington primers. I use remingtion small rifle primers for my 5.56mm and of course my 1895 Remlin but the Remlin gets large rifle primers. It goes back to for me anyhow savings as I do not shot every month. My closet range is about an hour away and is up in the mountains so there like a foot snow up there right now I bet. So I load up rounds until I have no place to store them. Hence I need more ammo cans. But I have only handloads with my cast bullets for my .45 which is about 1400 rounds to fit in one ammo can. The other aside from 3 factory ammo boxes one Buffalo bore and two Federal the other ammo can is full .45-70 hand loads with 405 grain pills and 70 grains by volume RS. By the way RS runs about 13.00 a pound here and I use about a pound a year for the .45-70. But to me it goes back to what you can get.
CD

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Question for the reloaders, my rifle slugged out at 460. Using cast bullets i want to use 462? correct? My question is this. If I buy a cowboy die set from rcbs, can I use that set to load jacketed bullets also? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, I just dont know.

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Question for the reloaders, my rifle slugged out at 460. Using cast bullets i want to use 462? correct? My question is this. If I buy a cowboy die set from rcbs, can I use that set to load jacketed bullets also? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, I just dont know.
Hey 475,

On the .460" bore, you may want to get some "as dropped" cast bullets (.461" to .462") and pan lube them with Wind's Wonder Wax (type that in the search function)

The Cowboy Dies will work just fine, for jacketed or cast.

Hope this helps.

To the OP,

With the 405 gr LFP, and 13.7 gr Universal Clays, and the Federal 210, it runs me a quarter a pop. Am buying these from a local commercial caster.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
676 Posts
Primer 3 cents, powder 9 cents, home cast lead bullets 6 cents, 2 cents bullet lube, my brass all has at least 30 loadings on it, I don't want to take the time to figure that cost per round, my reloading equipment is fairly old and my time isn't worth anything so I guess my out of pocket is about 20 cents per round.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I consider all equipment associated with reloading as "sunk cost"..... An investment in learning, knowledge, self sufficiency, with an added bonus dividend of fun. I load many calibers , so it's paid for itself many times over in quality ammo and savings. Same rules apply to stocks of brass. I never bought a gun the I didn't buy a couple thousand brass casings for, as well as maintain a healthy back stock of components against inflation or shortage.

45/70 cost break down: primer is .02, 15 grains Unique is .05, gas checked heat treated 300-400 grain bullet is about .01, so a nominal deer and pig round runs me about .08 each, or about $1.60 for a box of 20.... The same as my cost for pig whoppin' 30/30 rounds.

Bump that to a load using 2400, and it goes to $1.64 for a box of 20.
Bump it again to 50 grains RL-7 for a bone crushing and punishing round, I get to .25 per round, or $5.00 per box of 20.
Caveat here... I don't load the last rounds...I don't need to. I did it once, enjoyed it once, don't need to again. The 45/70 at 1600 fps has plenty of whupa$$ at that.

Now if your REALLY want to strut savings, consider that the prices above are about the same for other big cartridges.
What was the last price you saw on .416 Remington? Try $92 for 20..... My premium loads that work VERY WELL, still run less than $10 a box unless I use bullets turned from Naval bronze.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts