Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I joined the .35 club today. I bought a 1966 model, will post pics tomorrow if I get a chance. The bore looks to be in good shape, but I'm sure there is years of build-up there. I have a few things to tinker on with it, bluing is worn, small crack in the stock, and a few small issues but will try to give it a good cleaning if I can get some good recomendations. Thanks

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Butch's Bore Shine does a good job of removing copper.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'll second the sweets 7.62. It's so strong you actually have to follow the directions or risk damage to your bore.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I find that foaming bore cleaners are the best for me, I hate cleaning rods in my bore!

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Wipe-Out.

Reactions: BruceS

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i will third for Sweets 7.62 if there is a lot of copper wash showing otherwise Wipe-out with Wipe-out accelerator to start with. It really is amazing stuff. Congrats on your .35. I am heading out the door to go look at a 1952 DOM 336A in .35. I hope its as nice as he said it was.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Best I've used is Birchwood Casey's Bore Scrubber. Don't get a snoot full though because it has so much ammonia it will really do a number on your sinus!

·
Registered
484 Posts
RG12 works pretty good for me. I used some Gunslick foam cleaner and it worked pretty well also.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you are talking Copper - Barnes CR-10. Nasty stuff and requires a follow-up with something petroleum based or Kroil oil

Oh - It is the answer for copper X 10. I use it when needed on my bench rifles. Iosso Bore Past is also great and a fine after-treatment that does most anything.

Now, if you want a general cleaner then Butch's Bore Shine will work, It's not real aggressive on copper but has a little affect. Plain old-fashioned Hoppe's Bore Cleaner seems to be so ignored today but that stuff also works.

My secret, if there's no copper, is Bore Tech's C4 Carbon Remover. C4 is a MUST for all shooters. Carbon fouling is hideous and not noticeable until you show pressure signs and then get the barrel bore-scoped. Ends of revolver cylinders and frames and ...well anywhere the black stains of carbon build up.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Bore Tech Eliminator is an other good bore cleaner.

Reactions: rob42049 and DWB

·
Registered
769 Posts
Unless you are having accuracy issues don't worry about it. Once a year I clean all my rifles with JB's to get any Copper fouling out. I do clean them with Bore Brite after shooting them then run a patch of Rem Oil thru. JB's is a once a year thing and will take any seasoning out of your barrel also so you must oil as soon as your done to avoid rust.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Bore Tech Eliminator is an other good bore cleaner.
:dito:

Bore Tech Eliminator will remove the copper that Barnes CR-10, Butch's Bore Shine, Sweet's 7.62, and the foams leave behind. And... If in doubt, give it a try, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got some gunslick foaming cleaner yesterday. It was the only thing that the local walmart had that had been recommended. I cleaned it about 5 or 6 times and I am still getting some residue. The first couple times, my cleaning rod had a lot of green residue on it. I am assuming that was dissolved copper. It's getting better though. I will do it several more times a couple nights this week. Thanks for the suggestions. I will contact the local gun store and see what kind of of cleaner he has in stock.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am with Morganrider on this one. Ammonia. Go to ACE hardware and get a gallon of janitoral strength ammonia. Use it straight out of the bottle. Just don't get it on your stock. That is my go-to barrel cleaner now. It will blue-up real good if there is a lot of copper. Use plastic or steal rod tips for your patches. Do not use brass. You will find the active ingredient in most bore cleaners have a lot of ammonia. You get more of it in the industrial strenth. A gallon is really cheap and you can clean guns for years with it.

I have a Rem. 700 in 35 Whelen that coppers up really bad with the Barnes bullets it likes. This stuff really works on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts