Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my brand new LEE Pro 4-20 furnace somewhere in route to LEE. I am looking at other pots. I see a Lyman Mag 25 Digital for as low as $250 but not available yet. Sounds good but does anyone know anything about them? As I am in the gas business I would like to know if there is a gas fired pot out there? I have looked all over but found nothing. Maybe I should invent one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Turkey fryer is only gas operated burner I know of used to melt lead.
I have used Lee bottom pour pots for years and have recently bought another.
I have found that never let the pot go dry and they won't drip. So far it works for me

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I'm with the Lee which has been solid and dependable for me. Sometimes you just get a lemon - I wouldn't judge it by a one-off failure and I especially wouldn't be looking at some dang $250 "furnace". Man you could have an army of Lee pots for that.
I made a PID controller for mine and it's the bees knees now. Periodically I drain it, steel brush the cruft that settles and sticks, clean the drain hole - fill 'er back up.

PS: The Lee pot is very simple - it has a ring style heating element and a rheostat to control the voltage. That and the switch is all there is.
To make a gas-fired unit you'd have to develop a heavy band that fit tightly to the pot and was heated by the flame.
We all *know* what happens to a grill after a while so you know this wouldn't last all that long - the flame would oxidize the crap out of anything you used.
Indirect heat in the form of steam is limited in teh temperatures it can produce. Nope - not with a bottom pour setup.
You can always use a kettle and a dip pour ladle. THAT you can heat with gas. That's pretty old school and I confess I suck at it. I think it may be one of those you need to be taught things.

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Lee pot is a good product for it's price point. I have owned one and used it for several years.

I bought an RCBS pro melt last summer and once you use it, you'll figure out pretty quickly where the extra money went.

I doubt I'll be using my Lee pot again anytime soon. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I have a lee bottom pour and it does ok. It gives me a little grief once in awhile but the price was right. I've emptied it and cleaned it a time or two, that always takes care of it. I believe what helps is having a bigger regular smelter running next to it so everything I add is clean and already heated. I'm pretty new to casting, haven't seen or used much in the way of other equipment.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i have 1 20lb 2 10lb 1 5 lb all from lee one of the 10 lb pots is 35 years old and still going strong, and i cast a lot of bullets. bubba is spot on

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
There are some instructions on how to properly set up the Lee 10lb bottom pour pot prior to use. When followed it works quite well. The recommendations BubbaJon noted are most of them like not letting it run out, always add preheated alloy, and apply anti-seize to the pour spout rod prior to use after cleaning or when new.

I don't have a 4-20 so I can't speak for how to prep it.

I don't recall the OP stating why he sent his back..........

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, like I said it was new, one month old and used three times. I was just getting the hang of it. It is in LEE'S hands now and they say they will make it right.
But I can't make boolits. I did get to load and fire some of what I made, 240 gn SWC .430 and they did just fine in my 20 in. SRC.
I started this casting thing because I wanted to have the capability to do so. Just in case someday I can't buy what I need. But it has been so much fun that I am hooked now.
I am new to casting but I miss it already. I am thinking about buying a bottom pour ladle because I don't know how long it will take LEE to get back to me.
Thanks again, Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Dad had a cast iron pot on mom's cookstove. It wasn't a bottom pour, but it surely worked. Dirt cheap!

My 10lb electric Lee pot was old when I got it in 1993 - it still cranks them out. In between those two units, I used a spanky new 20lb electric pit and it worked great. Can't say it was any better than the Lee. When I'm at "home in Sandpoint" we use a gas plate and a couple cast iron pots in my pal's shop. The bullets crank out just as fast either way for us - we are visiting!!

Take your pick. The best one is what works for you and is paid for...

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Thanks everyone, like I said it was new, one month old and used three times. I was just getting the hang of it. It is in LEE'S hands now and they say they will make it right.
But I can't make boolits. I did get to load and fire some of what I made, 240 gn SWC .430 and they did just fine in my 20 in. SRC.
I started this casting thing because I wanted to have the capability to do so. Just in case someday I can't buy what I need. But it has been so much fun that I am hooked now.
I am new to casting but I miss it already. I am thinking about buying a bottom pour ladle because I don't know how long it will take LEE to get back to me.
Thanks again, Steve
But what did it do that caused it to be sent back?

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Well, that IS a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.